E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Squealing/Squeaking Noise - Dealership hasn't given any path to solution

08-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
dilankk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93 AW/CR

Brake Squealing/Squeaking Noise - Dealership hasn't given any path to solution

Hey Guys,

A while back I noticed that my brakes were making squealing and screeching noises. I have a 2008 E92 CPO with about 47k km on it now. I searched up and voiced the possibility of the sensors scraping and stuff that I read about here to the dealer but the service advisor kept telling me there is nothing he can do as brakes are not warrantied.

The first time I really noticed was after a 1hr drive on the highway and I reached a residential area just cruising, no brake application and i could hear the squeaking intermittently as I moved forward at slower speeds.

I had the dealership check it out (paid for brake inspection) they couldn't find anything and said it could be "debris"

After a drive downtown I've been hearing it more regularly while in the parking garage(amplified). I took a video with my iPhone(not the best quality). I was hoping someone here could help if they've experienced a similar issue. Not sure if its due to the brakes, or a bearing, or something else with the steering. Seems a little more prominent when I am turning to the left(not 100% sure about that though)

I've sent the video to the service advisor and manager at the dealership I go to and still haven't heard back from them.

Also, the brakes always screech when I apply them reversing(end of the video). Bought the car in Feb of this year not sure if it was happening then as it was winter. It's embarrassing driving a car like this and it's making noises. My previous car was a 1990 camry and was quieter lol

Thanks,
Dilan
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
so?confused
jr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

its the stupid brake sensor! my car does the same shit, i hate it. it only comes from the rear correct
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
dilankk
Private First Class
Rep

I think mine is coming from the front :|
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
smellfish
No one on the corner has stagger like us
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E90

Yep, brake sensor. My fronts squeak and sound terrible. Stops after about 15-20 mph.
      08-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

Nothing new... You won't be able to get it fixed, don't bother wasting your time or money.

See below for my video from my previous 335.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
dilankk
Private First Class
Rep

Ah I guess it's a little better knowing it's not specific to my car, but yeah it's pretty annoying. Will changing to aftermarket brakes or removing the sensors and tying them off to the side make a difference? Main other reason why I would want to change brakes and rotors is the screeching noise when I'm reversing :|
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I remember reading somewhere on this site that if you go on reverse and then mash on the brakes, the squeaking goes away. I'm going to try it soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
jkkh
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i with ZSP

Try this:

Tell the dealership to look into SIB 34 08 08
      08-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
Akopley
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I have the same issue. There has to be a fix!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
platnumdesi01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

I just bought a 2009 335i w/ 22K miles...it squeaks..sucks
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
whip_lash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Same problem here, it only begins after driving the car for 15min or so... i guess the break pads expand from the heat? and the more i drive the worse it gets. I CANNOT believe that there isnt a fix or recall from BMW for this yet. Very annoying and embarrassing.

Someone in another thread mentioned to use a break cleaner to clean the sensors?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
PFitto
Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

I have the exact same issue coming from the front left wheel/brakes. It only occurs while moving at very low speeds. I replaced all four sides' brake pads and rotors recently and the noise went away for a while. It is back again!!

I have heard other e92s on the road with the same. Does anybody know how to get this to BMWNA in order to try and get a resolution or looked into?

Last edited by PFitto; 08-23-2011 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

the squealing can be both sensor and pads. If you hear it while moving slowly without applying brake then definitely sensor, but can also happen when applying brake. For the sensor potentially purchasing higher end sensor from quality manufacturer... I think i've heard of peeps grinding them down a little, but not sure on this. OR just remove them from the caliber and zip tie them to the abs sensor, so you don't get a warning.

The pads do squeal also. reversing and stopping does seem to cure this for a bit, but it comes back. Cool carbon pads have a great rep here... but they are rediculously expensive... i'm sure there's other brands that will work well. AND goo up the pads with brake quiet when installing them... the dealer doesn't do this. it can be vibration and/or brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #14
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Man, I am almost the EXACT same as you. Same car, same miles. Mine is at the dealer now. I should be hearing back today sometime.

This is rediculous. If this can't be fixed, I will not keep this car. I can't deal with squeaks. I have owned a lot of cars and none of them had this problem. This should not be something you have to "Deal" with.

My dealer definately did not tell me this was not covered under warranty. They gave me no hastle at all and gave me a new Z4 as a loaner.

My SA told me there is a TSB that the brake pads should be changed sooner than in the past. Once they get down to 7.5mm. And that they are aware brake squealing is a common issue with these cars. And he said he's aware that it could be the sensor. One thing about this dealer here, they have been very good to me so far.

The scary thing for me is that I had NO noise before I had my coils installed. I know one has nothing to do with the other...but it's still a strange coincidence to me.

The only thing that has me hoping mine could be fixed is that my problem I think is a little different than your's and what everyone else is explaining on here. Mine only makes noise when pressing the brake. And it's only coming from the front driver's side.

I'll let you know what happens as soon as I get it back. I may be driving a new truck soon....
      08-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
dilankk
Private First Class
Rep

Wow a Z4 loaner? nicee don't get anything like that here lol
I have a service appt on monday. I am going to tell them to look into that SIB and see what happens. Else, I am just going to replace all the brakes, rotors, and sensors myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
the squealing can be both sensor and pads. If you hear it while moving slowly without applying brake then definitely sensor, but can also happen when applying brake. For the sensor potentially purchasing higher end sensor from quality manufacturer... I think i've heard of peeps grinding them down a little, but not sure on this. OR just remove them from the caliber and zip tie them to the abs sensor, so you don't get a warning.

The pads do squeal also. reversing and stopping does seem to cure this for a bit, but it comes back. Cool carbon pads have a great rep here... but they are rediculously expensive... i'm sure there's other brands that will work well. AND goo up the pads with brake quiet when installing them... the dealer doesn't do this. it can be vibration and/or brake dust.
Cool Carbon pads are actually very reasonably priced, less than OEM pads, and considering what they deliver in performance they are tough to beat for overall value. We run them on a number of our own cars here at EAS and are very pleased.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by david @ eas View Post
Cool Carbon pads are actually very reasonably priced, less than OEM pads, and considering what they deliver in performance they are tough to beat for overall value. We run them on a number of our own cars here at EAS and are very pleased.
Yeah, I think I'm starting to kinda realize this.

Can you give us some insight into pad surface and vibration pertaining to squealing? My focus is not so much on performance, as the centrix pads seem to be working well for me, but they do make some noise... much better since the sensors were disconnected but still noisy. Do the better pad surfaces alleviate this, or is it install, dust? I do NOT think dust is the prime culprit, as the squeal is pretty uniform and constant at certain pedal pressure(s). I did goo the back of my pads pretty good, so I can't imagine vibration is it either.

On other platforms, I've rarely (or never) had a squeal issue with various price point pads.

very curious... probably some threads explaining, but didn't find them yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Well, I just got mine back. They replaced all four pads and all four sensors and it's silent now. So we'll see if it comes back...
      08-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
KEAM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Monaco Blue 335xi Sedan

Same issue here, they replaced the rear pads and sensors but haven't had a chance to drive the car enough to see it it is fixed. I think they actually installed the wrong pads on the rear of the car. There's film of rust on the rotors from them washing the car after service and the pads have only worn away about the outermost inch of the rotor - looks like the rest of the rotor has not even been touched by anything. Wondering if they put 328 pads on?
      08-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #20
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

That's funny because I hear the screeching sound when I apply brakes too...the noise so bad
But guess what, I hear noise right after I installed othe coil over like you.
I am going away few days later so cant make trips to dealership,
Let me know how it goes with yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
Man, I am almost the EXACT same as you. Same car, same miles. Mine is at the dealer now. I should be hearing back today sometime.

This is rediculous. If this can't be fixed, I will not keep this car. I can't deal with squeaks. I have owned a lot of cars and none of them had this problem. This should not be something you have to "Deal" with.

My dealer definately did not tell me this was not covered under warranty. They gave me no hastle at all and gave me a new Z4 as a loaner.

My SA told me there is a TSB that the brake pads should be changed sooner than in the past. Once they get down to 7.5mm. And that they are aware brake squealing is a common issue with these cars. And he said he's aware that it could be the sensor. One thing about this dealer here, they have been very good to me so far.

The scary thing for me is that I had NO noise before I had my coils installed. I know one has nothing to do with the other...but it's still a strange coincidence to me.

The only thing that has me hoping mine could be fixed is that my problem I think is a little different than your's and what everyone else is explaining on here. Mine only makes noise when pressing the brake. And it's only coming from the front driver's side.

I'll let you know what happens as soon as I get it back. I may be driving a new truck soon....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #21
dilankk
Private First Class
Rep

Dropped the car off today and quoted SIB 34 08 08.. hopefully they do something this time..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #22
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Got it back and all noises are gone.....for now at least...