E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > AEM CD-7 Dash through K-DCAN Cable

05-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

AEM CD-7 Dash through K-DCAN Cable

I put this in the Coding sub Forum but I figured it can't hurt to put it in here since it's relevant to track driving.

I am in the market for a Digital Dash with data logging capability. I've narrowed it down to the AiM MXL 2 and the AEM CD-7.

The AiM MXL 2 is known to work with BMW DMEs. Splicing into the CAN High and Low wires gives you a ton of data: steering angle, brake pressure, much more than what you could get from a standard OBD2 dongle. AiM has profiled the BMW DMEs specifically and so all that is needed is to splice into these wires.

AEMs CD-7 does not have this profile. It has their own standalone profiles, obviously, and some others like HONDATA, where you splice in to CAN High Low like you would with AiM, but not the BMW DME at this time. The CD-7 can plug in to OBD2, but typically that data is quite limited, as all that is federally required is emissions related.

However, I've been researching the depth of data that comes over the K-DCAN cables popular for MHD flashing.

http://www.loopybunny.co.uk/CarPC/fi...ter=flag_KCAN1

Apparently steering angle sensor, braking force, and other data streams that interest me come over the KCAN protocol. They could be displayed in MHD but the app just doesn't log those channels.

If I used a K-DCAN adapter like this:

http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=19

do you all think the CD-7 with the OBD2 interface could display the data I'm looking for?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Not a lot of info on these forums about data logging. I would recommend you check out rennlist as they have a sub dedicated to data logging with lots of info there.

Having said that I would recommend you go with the mxl2 as its basically plugnplay. I have one myself with a smartycam hooked up and you get a ton of data plus all the math channels you can plug in will get you close to 100 channels.

Obviously understanding how and what to look for is more important than how many channels you can get but the ability to expand is there and the mxl2 will be compatible with future offerings as its part of the newest line up of digital dashes available from AIM.

IMO the mxl2 is worth the extra money for the easy setup and go.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I agree on AiM being a better plug n play option. I went with a Solo 2 DL as I just couldn't swing the $2000 right now, and it's still a double duty car with a functioning gauge cluster.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
onqracing
Rep
Drives: E90 Full race Build

We run the Infinity 8, VDM and the CD7 in our E90 Track car, flawless and tons of channels (100). VDM provides GPS and accelerometer data, at a friendly price point. Just my 3.5 cents worth.
Appreciate 0