E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Almost Done . . . and now ALL DONE!!!

09-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #89
JoeyH335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Great write-up! So much information and stuff I need to do.

Looking great! But eventually something will come up that you will need to do.

It's never "All Done"...

I am just here to help!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #90
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyH335i View Post
It's never "All Done"...
That's so true!

Three other things that I'm STILL thinking about doing:

1) Installing an M3 front bumper to eliminate the license plate and clean up the front, which would cost around $1k w/paint;

2) Installing M3 front control arms and sway bar w/Eibach Pro-kit springs all around to improve suspension, which would cost another $1.5k or so for parts/labor;

3) Installing an M3 rear sway bar w/new rear subframe/diff bushings AND an LSD to further improve suspension and handing, which could cost around $1k for the sway bar/bushings/labor; and

4) Installing an LSD which would cost around another $2k for parts/labor.

None of this is "necessary" but they're still on the table as things that I "might" do down the road. Already into the car for about $12k over the purchase price for the enhancements/repairs/replacements/maintenance, so I'm NOT in any hurry to do any of these other things which would cost me around $5k more.

So, FOR NOW, I'm all done again. LOL!

Last edited by SSW; 09-30-2014 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #91
JoeyH335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
That's so true!

Three other things that I'm STILL thinking about doing:

1) Installing an M3 front bumper to eliminate the license plate and clean up the front, which would cost around $1k w/paint;

2) Installing M3 front control arms and sway bar w/Eibach Pro-kit springs all around to improve suspension, which would cost another $1.5k or so; and

3) Installing an M3 rear sway bar w/new rear subframe/diff bushings AND an LSD to further improve suspension and handing, which could cost around $1k for the sway bar/bushings and another $2k or so for the LSD.

None of this is "necessary" but they're still on the table as things that I "might" do down the road.
This is what I have been told while I have been doing research on suspension and the LSD stuff.

Get the coilovers or lowering springs but not the swaybars yet. Find out how well the suspension feels and handles before you throw on swaybars that radically changes the way the suspension does it's job. Do the LSD before the swaybars.

The suspension bushings and control arms just tweak the handling that much more so it really just enhances what the car could already do just with more feedback to the chassis.

If by then you still need more, do the front sway bars. This will only help the front end with more push. You would rather have more push so that you can control the rear end from coming out on you. The LSD will make the situation more noticeable as both rear tires will lose grip but your rear suspension will have the needed "give" to correct itself.

If you have a hugely more aggressive tire combo that puts more meat to the ground -- the the combination of LSD front and rear swaybars will be a blast on the track. But then again -- daily driving will be sacrificed.

Remember -- street and public roads don't have the run-offs and catch basins to help you from not screwing up your car and keeping you safe like the track does.

But by all means forge on!

I am just here to help!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #92
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyH335i View Post
Get the coilovers or lowering springs but not the swaybars yet. Find out how well the suspension feels and handles before you throw on swaybars that radically changes the way the suspension does it's job. Do the LSD before the swaybars.

The suspension bushings and control arms just tweak the handling that much more so it really just enhances what the car could already do just with more feedback to the chassis.

If by then you still need more, do the front sway bars. This will only help the front end with more push. You would rather have more push so that you can control the rear end from coming out on you. The LSD will make the situation more noticeable as both rear tires will lose grip but your rear suspension will have the needed "give" to correct itself.
This is what I've read/heard too but I'd still go w/the work in the following order:

1) M3 front control arms/sway bar and Pro-kit springs all around;
2) M3 rear sway bar/bushings; and
3) LSD.

The LSD really isn't a high priority in terms of performance/cost for me because the car's a daily/weekend driver and I don't intend to ever track the car BUT I do like to drive fairly aggressively in the back roads and would like the option of an LSD for drifting where it's possible to do so. Just depends on the cost.

Another option would be to go w/even lower springs but then I'd have to swap out the Koni FSDs for Koni Yellows or coilovers, which will probably sacrifice ride quality more than I'd like and is also NOT something I'd likely do because of the additional cost.

In reality, only 1 or 2 would be all I'd need for most purposes and could combine them in to one job. Will update the thread if I go in that direction.

Last edited by SSW; 09-30-2014 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #93
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just had all of the drive train fluids changed in the car: oil/filter change, trans oil/filer pan change and diff oil change at 95k miles. Just reported my service experience here. Before that, changed the water pump/thermostat and recharged the AC at 92k miles in Sep 2014.

The only reason I mention this iis that the service tech noted that the upper control (thrust) arm bushings were cracked and leaking. So, it looks like it's time to do the M3 front end conversion that I had previously planned. Will probably get around to it in the spring of 2016.

Last edited by SSW; 11-06-2015 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #94
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
LOL!

Can't believe that it's been 18 months since I last serviced my BMW and finally got around to doing something else to my Beemer.

Just had 4 new TRW front control arms installed and the aligned rechecked/adjusted last week. Cost of the control arms plus new hardware thru FCP Euro was only $393. This was the cheapest price that I could find on the Net. Cost of installation and realignment at my local BMW/MB shop was $525.

The M3 control arms greatly improve the handling of the car (can drive deeper/faster into turns w/o any under or over steer) but, as I mention in another thread, I still want to reduce the front body lean so I'm going to install an E93 M3 sway bar as well.

See: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ssw

However, I've decided that I am not going to install an M3 bumper and repaint the front (again) and I'm not going to do anything to the rear suspension. Have already spent too much on the car (over $10k) and don't really want to spend much more. So, items 1 & 3 in my prior list are dead. Car already has the OEM sport suspension/springs and no need to swap those springs for Eibach's either. Car is already low enough as is. No need to lower it further.

If there is noticeable understeer caused by the E93 M3 sway bar that can't be fixed in any other way, I "might" install adjustable rear Konis Yellows (replacing the FSDs that were installed all around previously) in order to stiffen the rear suspension but I'd only do that if I can't fix the problem w/o resorting to a parts replacement, for example by reducing rear tire pressure or rear toe in alignment settings.

We'll see . . .

Last edited by SSW; 07-26-2017 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #95
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL!

Can't believe that it's been 18 months since I last serviced my BMW and finally got around to doing something else to my Beemer.

Just had 4 new TRW front control arms installed and the aligned rechecked/adjusted last week. Cost of the control arms plus new hardware thru FCP Euro was only $393. Cost of installation and realignment was $525.

The M3 control arms greatly improve the handling of the car (can drive deeper/faster into turns w/o any under or over steer) but, as I mention in another thread, I still want to reduce the front body lean so I'm going to install an E93 M3 sway bar as well.

See: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ssw

However, I've decided that I am not going to install an M3 bumper and repaint the front (again) and I'm not going to do anything to the rear suspension. Have already spent too much on the car (over $10k) and don't really want to spend much more. So, items 1 & 3 in my prior list are dead. Car already has the OEM sport suspension/springs and no need to swap those springs for Eibach's either. Car is already low enough as is. No need to lower it further.

If there is noticeable understeer caused by the E93 M3 sway bar that can't be fixed in any other way, I "might" install adjustable rear Konis Yellows (replacing the FSDs that were installed all around previously) in order to stiffen the rear suspension but I'd only do that if I can't fix the problem w/o resorting to a parts replacement, for example by reducing rear tire pressure or rear toe in alignment settings.

We'll see . . .
OBTW, forgot to note that I had my regular (not BMW/MB) shop replace the original 9 year old battery w/a new re-coded OEM battery in March 2017. The cost was $280 (including parts, labor and tax) which I thought was reasonable.

Last edited by SSW; 07-26-2017 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #96
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just installed a E90 M3 sway bar in my car which noticeably improved the car's handling beyond what installing the M3 control arms did.

You can find a separate thread discussing this mod here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1405630

I [currently] have no further plans for any further modifications to my E90. Just routine maintenance/service and parts replacement from here on out. It's definitely been a long journey and has cost a tremendous amount of money (more than the car's currently worth) but I think it's truly "done" now.

Just going to keep the car in the best shape and condition possible from now on and have no plans to ever sell or dispose of it unless something catastrophic happens to the car or the engine. Too much fun to drive and too much money invested to do otherwise.

Last edited by SSW; 09-22-2018 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 06:42 PM   #97
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

First thing I saw is horror amber - LCI clear headlights upgrade was a first thing to do when I had 3 series. It was a must have even before you wash your car after 1st day you bought it. It was bigger than rims, bigger than anything else....I guess folks nowadays are not concerned with looks anymore
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #98
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

I actually don't mind the amber lighhts

|instagram@underground6t9|
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #99
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain comic View Post
First thing I saw is horror amber - LCI clear headlights upgrade was a first thing to do when I had 3 series. It was a must have even before you wash your car after 1st day you bought it. It was bigger than rims, bigger than anything else....I guess folks nowadays are not concerned with looks anymore
Never would have considered doing THAT.

Was thinking about replacing the headlights lenses because they were aged/scratched but found that you had to replace the engine light assemblies which was too expensive. Ended up just sanding/polishing them w/a kit from the auto parts store. Not perfect but better than they were.
      08-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #100
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Never would have considered doing THAT.

Was thinking about replacing the headlights lenses because they were aged/scratched but found that you had to replace the engine light assemblies which was too expensive. Ended up just sanding/polishing them w/a kit from the auto parts store. Not perfect but better than they were.
Wow, so exterior is not important for you? People do exterior mods to make their cars look better, but if you ok with just performance mods and leaving it look like crap outside - you are the boss
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 03:13 AM   #101
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow, so exterior is not important for you? People do exterior mods to make their cars look better, but if you ok with just performance mods and leaving it look like crap outside - you are the boss
Really bro, I think the "amber horror" you speak of does not look like crap..I think that's a bit extreme. I have them on my e90, they look just fine and honestly..who gives 2 fat shits if my or any other person's lights are amber? Amber lights dont put the look of the car into crap category. Plus I HATE the shit out of it when some ass in the opposing lane blinds me with his bright white lamps. I feel like turning on my brights just so they know how it feels. I take great pride in my e90 m3 and I do not feel that factory amber lights dimish the bad-assery of the car it's self in anyway. I also don't like making opposing lane drivers want to kill me by blasting/blinding them with bright white light. The amber is less
Shocking to the eyes.

Last edited by srmast1; 08-18-2017 at 03:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #102
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was referring to the amber lights. That's NOT something I'd do but if you (or others like them) that's fine w/me. Just not my cup of tea.

If you've read this thread, I have done many "exterior" mods to my car but all of them are pretty subtle, which is what I prefer.

Among the mods that I have done are:

1) repainted the hood and front/bumper & fenders, which were chipped and pitted.
2) replaced the windshield, which was also chipped and pitted
3) had all of the window chrome black taped
4) installed smoked body turn indicators (replacing the clear ones)
5) replaced the stock wheels w/M193s
6) installed 12/15mm wheel spacers (F/B) mainly for looks
7) installed black grill inserts to replace the chrome ones

So, I have done a few things to change the exterior but only a BMW fan would probably notice them.

Last edited by SSW; 08-19-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 02:02 AM   #103
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just to update, in the past year, I've spent money mainly on suspension mods to my 335i, including the installation of:

1) Upper and lower M3 control arms
2) An M3 E93 sway bar
3) A pair of Koni yellow adjustable front stuts
4) An M3 tower brace kit

These mods made huge changed in the quality of the handling and control of the car. The Koni yellows replaced a pair of Koni FSDs up front which bottomed and swayed w/aggressive driving but Koni FSDs remain in back where the do not cause any apparent problems. The front end obviously a little stiffer (as to be expected) but not significantly so. Well worth the "trade off" in terms of handling.

Next project is to install post-LCI clear front headlights (the old ones are road worn and need replacement anyway) and an M3 front bumper cover.

This should be the last thing that I do in terms of mods for the car. Famous last words but frankly, there is not much else left to do except for a LSD which is way too expensive and not necessary for the type of driving I do.

Last edited by SSW; 08-22-2018 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #104
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Very nice build thread; I thoroughly enjoyed reading it because I too and among the many special brand of assholes that are ultra anal-retentive when it comes to having every option that was factory, Euro or not, for our cars
I actually had to control my wallet while going through the thread or else I would have bought a spare tire kit and tire tote set just like you and I already just dropped some cash on the “Luggage Compartment” option so don’t have the money I want to spend just yet

I’d say some LCI sprinkles here and there would button everything right up; I would keep the M-Sport bumper as well because I’m just particular to it, but that’s just me

Do you maybe have the part# for that under trunk carpeted insert however? Looks shnazzy
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #105
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post
Very nice build thread; I thoroughly enjoyed reading it because I too and among the many special brand of assholes that are ultra anal-retentive when it comes to having every option that was factory, Euro or not, for our cars
I actually had to control my wallet while going through the thread or else I would have bought a spare tire kit and tire tote set just like you and I already just dropped some cash on the “Luggage Compartment” option so don’t have the money I want to spend just yet

I’d say some LCI sprinkles here and there would button everything right up; I would keep the M-Sport bumper as well because I’m just particular to it, but that’s just me

Do you maybe have the part# for that under trunk carpeted insert however? Looks shnazzy
Thanks for the props!

The $ I've spent on the car is pretty ridiculous but it's a toy that I hardly ever drive but is GREAT FUN when I do.

As for that under the trunk insert, it came w/the car and I do not have a part number for it. If you take the pic of it to your dealer, they can probably help you hunt it down.

Good luck w/that.
      09-22-2018, 11:44 PM   #106
BryGuy11
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i coupe 6sp

I'd pay some serious coin to see the look on your face when a bird shits on your car. 😆
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:05 AM   #107
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryGuy11 View Post
I'd pay some serious coin to see the look on your face when a bird shits on your car. 😆
Never's happened yet but water will handle it if it does.

Bug splatter when I drive it is bad enough but water and a worn out scrub pad handles that too.
      09-23-2018, 03:56 AM   #108
Jesda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 N52 78k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Rare as flower poop.
At high speed tires can shred. I've had it happen and it really sucks.
      09-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #109
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
great read and a great build (so far) I keep saying its almost done too

If you are after some ideas feel free to trawl though my build thread over on the Australian forum OP
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #110
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
At high speed tires can shred. I've had it happen and it really sucks.

But, why would you drive at high speeds on a tire with low air pressure?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0