E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Turbo Hoses

09-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Turbo Hoses

Now that I have gotten rid of my emissions, they most annoying issue is the goddamn hoses to and from intercooler/charge pipe coming loose. I upgraded my intercooler to a Wagner couple of years ago. I just bought the ATM hose kits to try to solve this problem but it is a glaring defect. that's said I am running a jerek 2.8 tune so maybe I'm adding more stress to the system. so sick of losing boost and having diesel smell in the cabin. I will report back once the ATM hoses are in. the forge hose that I put in a couple of years ago does not really fit well.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

My Forge was also a dud. I just modified a stock hose with Forge fittings. Worked flawlessly without any leaks for a few years until I went with an ATM intercooler and all the associated fittings. That’s a real solution that is bulletproof. However, you should not be smelling exhaust from boost leaks.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
My Forge was also a dud. I just modified a stock hose with Forge fittings. Worked flawlessly without any leaks for a few years until I went with an ATM intercooler and all the associated fittings. That's a real solution that is bulletproof. However, you should not be smelling exhaust from boost leaks.
Quote:
My Forge was also a dud. I just modified a stock hose with Forge fittings. Worked flawlessly without any leaks for a few years until I went with an ATM intercooler and all the associated fittings. That's a real solution that is bulletproof. However, you should not be smelling exhaust from boost leaks.
vacuum hoses?? wondering if the new exhaust was not fitted properly? what do you think? just had the motor mounts redone could that affect something?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Exhaust smell could come from a few spots. EGR cooler feed off manifold. Usually there is a block plate there. Unless you retained the EGR cooler. Then it could come from a cracked cooler or a connection to EGR itself. Other sources are the v-clamp between downpipe and turbo outlet or downpipe to midpipe flange. Then lastly, your exhaust pressure sensor feed. Least likely also could be turbo to manifold gaskets and manifold to block.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exhaust smell could come from a few spots. EGR cooler feed off manifold. Usually there is a block plate there. Unless you retained the EGR cooler. Then it could come from a cracked cooler or a connection to EGR itself. Other sources are the v-clamp between downpipe and turbo outlet or downpipe to midpipe flange. Then lastly, your exhaust pressure sensor feed. Least likely also could be turbo to manifold gaskets and manifold to block.
you the man...so much good info over the years yozh...

getting rid of my blocked egr and putting in the AA Rodriguez race pipe...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #6
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

I also seem to have lost high-end boost... That I think must be the hoses
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #7
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Hoses, vac system tightness. Converters.

I’ll have a project soon to fit proper Pierburg converters that should be better than oem. Got all the parts. Just need time to do and document.
Appreciate 3
Torqu3320.50
robnitro160.00
      09-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #8
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hoses, vac system tightness. Converters.

I’ll have a project soon to fit proper Pierburg converters that should be better than oem. Got all the parts. Just need time to do and document.
two new ATM hoses going in tomorrow off the intercooler with robust hose clamps. also throwing in the race pipe for the hell of it... Not sure it's going to make much of a difference but it's good to have that God damn EGR valve out of there.

last but not least what were the converters you were referring to yozh? are they hard to install?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 01:17 AM   #9
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

last but not least what were the converters you were referring to yozh? are they hard to install?
These are not original. So yes, need rewriting.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:50 AM   #10
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

These are not original. So yes, need rewriting.
not understanding your reply
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Quote:
not understanding your reply
He used non oem converters and had a custom install. Need to rewrite install for these.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #12
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Quote:
Also the exhaust DP sensor pipe-to-hose segment likes to blow out at the hose. Smells awful when it happens.

Edit: looking forward to your post yozh. My small turbo never works, and I'm just not ready to throw parts at converters and crap unless I'm SURE it will fix it. I've only ever driven one 335d that had both turbos working: mine for about a week. It was amazing. Every other ride or test ride in a 335d felt 'meh, sorta fast'. These turbo control systems are really finicky and unreliable.

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
Pep423
Private
Rep

Quote:
Now that I have gotten rid of my emissions, they most annoying issue is the goddamn hoses to and from intercooler/charge pipe coming loose. I upgraded my intercooler to a Wagner couple of years ago. I just bought the ATM hose kits to try to solve this problem but it is a glaring defect. that's said I am running a jerek 2.8 tune so maybe I'm adding more stress to the system. so sick of losing boost and having diesel smell in the cabin. I will report back once the ATM hoses are in. the forge hose that I put in a couple of years ago does not really fit well.
Quote:
Were you getting any additional noises coming from the area as a result of the leak? Something almost like an exhaust leak but at around 3k revs?
Appreciate 0