E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91 radio interference

07-02-2023, 12:58 PM   #1
shipbl
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320d 2006

E91 radio interference

Hi!

I have problem with my radio, in my 2006 e91 320d. By the sound it seems like the radio isn't getting a proper connection to the antenna. The problem occurs on all frequencies. When the weather is humid, the reception seems to get better. Key fob works fine, even from a long distance. Aux and CD work fine too.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 02:34 PM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

the wiring in rubber pipes between body and rear door and between rear door and rear glass are breaks due the door opening after 7-10 years
the antenna amplifier is located under spoiler attached to rear glass, and if it was removed sometime and not correctly seated, the water came to antenna amplifier and damage it
slupie101.00
      07-02-2023, 02:38 PM   #3
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

It's a broken wire that runs through the right side tailgate wiring loom. I've had this happen on mine a number of times. In fact, I've more often been alerted to broken wires by bad radio reception than I have through the keyfob not working. The broken wire in your case (and mine, when it happens to me) goes to the "antenna amplifier"...which is different than the diversity antenna module.

Look inside that loom/rubber conduit, and you'll find a broken wire. It would be good to splice in "silicone jacketed wire" (you can find this in an electronics store, online, or at a hobby store as it's used in the construction of radio-controlled model airplanes and probably drones). It's inexpensive and is more flexible than the wire that BMW originally used. More flexible means fewer times for it to break.
Appreciate 1
slupie101.00