E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Not Meeting Boost Target

01-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #23
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Slammer View Post
Someone with experience looking at these logs please take a gander. Target boost 2-3 psi higher than I'm able to achieve.
https://datazap.me/u/wellstileandsto...g=1&data=3-12#
Your log shows that you're missing target load by a metric ton - One thing that is important is to concentrate on target load vs actual load. Missing the boost setpoint isn't necessarily a bad thing (though this will be adjusted by the DME along with load) but the load command vs actual load is what to look out for.

Additionally, WGDC is maxing out around 70%. You should be able to achieve the boost you are looking for at 70% duty cycle, but I am not familiar with your t00n. Also, I'm not seeing it climb above 70% so the logic is a bit stale. Ideally it would climb and climb and climb to reach target, within reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread but my situation is the dme keeps lowering the boost target. One log from Oct you'll see boost and target psi looking good. Should be 21-22psi. On the same map, the Jan log shows the dme lowered target down to 17psi so my boost hits around 19psi. I've started noticing this as the weather got colder. It seems the less traction I have the more the dme adjust timing or boost. I've experimented with this. I've run the map on a 60°f day and again on 35°-50°. The car would have a more difficult time keep tires on the pavement 3rd gear and up and reduce timing or boost. Dsc always off.

I know this is odd. I've tried different maps and reset adaptions. No change. The car limits power based on traction. At least that what I think or the dme could be faulty. Im waiting to hear back from my tuner. My 3.5tmap gave me some issues months ago but my tuner wrote the voltage in the map which fixed the startup issues.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening or experienced this? I'm running hybrid turbos and I dont see a boost leak. I'll need to check the charge pipe though. Not sure if that would affect target data though. Could it be the map? Dont seem likely to me.

Any help or leads appreciated.

https://datazap.me/u/brakthru1/log-1...og=0&data=3-23
Colder air is more dense. Denser air carries more oxygen. Denser air = more fuel. Denser air = less boost required to hit the load requirement.

There is always a gentle balance between boost and ignition. Cooler air allows for more advanced ignition, but with this being a "load" based ignition for N55, I don't see how this is problematic.

I only saw one log - it looks like your boost is above target, but you're experiencing throttle closure (81% instead of 100%). When that happens, you'll always see higher boost pressure on the TMAP before the throttle body and (most likely) the correct pressure inside the manifold. It looks like your target is 200 load, so you're right on target.

Is your complaint primarily around watching boost pressures and being concerned OR is it more about "feeling" the perceived change in power? I'm not mocking you, I'm genuinely asking.
Appreciate 0