E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Valve cover bolt snapped

01-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i coupe

N55 Valve cover bolt snapped

I broke one of my valve cover bolts and wanna replace it. Does anyone know how to remove the old one from the valve cover?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnalston10 View Post
I broke one of my valve cover bolts and wanna replace it. Does anyone know how to remove the old one from the valve cover?
You remove the bolt by removing the bolt sleeve or bolt guide as some people call it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

How are you having so much problems with your car hahhaa. Every day there is a new thread from you.
      01-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #4
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
How are you having so much problems with your car hahhaa. Every day there is a new thread from you.
I would say 70-80% of things wrong with my car is from the previous owner. He messed up a lot of stuff that I've had to fix or replace. All my codes are from a valve cover leak so hopefully once I get that fixed I'll be able to tune and make some power.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
I would say 70-80% of things wrong with my car is from the previous owner. He messed up a lot of stuff that I've had to fix or replace. All my codes are from a valve cover leak so hopefully once I get that fixed I'll be able to tune and make some power.
That sucks. at least you are pulling through all of it. Don't give up!
      01-21-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yessir. Just bought my 7.5 inch intercooler last night and my valve cover gasket and valve cover bolts so once I have time off from school and work I can do my valve cover, install my intercooler and spoiler then tune my car and be able to drive my car again
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
fortywater
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Yessir. Just bought my 7.5 inch intercooler last night and my valve cover gasket and valve cover bolts so once I have time off from school and work I can do my valve cover, install my intercooler and spoiler then tune my car and be able to drive my car again
How many miles does your car have? The plastic valve covers themselves on these cars suck, and most of the time warp. Replacing just the gasket could be a simple fix but could have you leaking again in the near future.

Also, the PCV on these cars is known to be a time bomb after 100k miles. It is built into the valve cover. If I were you, I would suggest buying a new valve cover assembly, which comes with the PCV, and changing everything while you are there.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #8
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortywater View Post
Quote:
How many miles does your car have? The plastic valve covers themselves on these cars suck, and most of the time warp. Replacing just the gasket could be a simple fix but could have you leaking again in the near future.

Also, the PCV on these cars is known to be a time bomb after 100k miles. It is built into the valve cover. If I were you, I would suggest buying a new valve cover assembly, which comes with the PCV, and changing everything while you are there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortywater View Post
Quote:

Car has 120k miles. I just got it but I have heard about it warping. When I took it off the first time there was silver gasket sealer around the gasket itself so it's possible it was warped.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #9
fortywater
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Car has 120k miles. I just got it but I have heard about it warping. When I took it off the first time there was silver gasket sealer around the gasket itself so it's possible it was warped.
If it was my car, I would just bite the bullet and get an new oem valve cover. I think it's like $540 and it comes with the PCV since it's ome unit. Also will come with all new bolts so you don't have to worry about your broken one.
Appreciate 0