E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Who Specializes In Electrical Diagnosis?

12-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Mturbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92, '10 SL63

Who Specializes In Electrical Diagnosis?

Hi Guys - I updated my FRM to FRM3 to accommodate my Lci headlight update and I have a few weird electrical issues that come & go such as the passenger window winding down when the car goes in reverse, power mirrors won't work, my CCC display didn't light up once and #19 fuse for the windows blew a few times. A tech at VAC says the modules may need updating now that the FRM is updated; the car is acknowledging that the modules are talking to the computer/car but won't allow him to update them. I need an expert that specializes in electrical work!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mturbo
Hi Guys - I updated my FRM to FRM3 to accommodate my Lci headlight update and I have a few weird electrical issues that come & go such as the passenger window winding down when the car goes in reverse, power mirrors won't work, my CCC display didn't light up once and #19 fuse for the windows blew a few times. A tech at VAC says the modules may need updating now that the FRM is updated; the car is acknowledging that the modules are talking to the computer/car but won't allow him to update them. I need an expert that specializes in electrical work!
FRM3 has slightly different wiring. Did you change some pins when replacing it or did you simply take out old FRM and plug in a new FRM3.

What fault codes does the car have?
Was he new FRM3 coded to your VO correctly?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
Mturbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
FRM3 has slightly different wiring. Did you change some pins when replacing it or did you simply take out old FRM and plug in a new FRM3.

What fault codes does the car have?
Was he new FRM3 coded to your VO correctly?
I'm sorry I'm just seeing this. He had to have a different coder help him out remotely so I doubt if he knew that pins had to be switched. He admits that he has not done an Lci conversion before. I will know tomorrow when I pick up the car what codes are being thrown. I had a printout but left it at the shop. Sounds like your a programmer or obviously familiar with electrical applications and I can definitely use some help. The wisest thing is for me to not pay for anymore experimenting...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Electrical diagnosis is very simple with BMW. It just takes some understanding of the different modules. Many people on this forum will help you.

What variant of E9X chassis do you have? E90, E92? Etc etc.

Start with the codes, then code the module correctly, then check the wiring to the module.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
Mturbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Electrical diagnosis is very simple with BMW. It just takes some understanding of the different modules. Many people on this forum will help you.

What variant of E9X chassis do you have? E90, E92? Etc etc.

Start with the codes, then code the module correctly, then check the wiring to the module.
Thx i have a e92.
Appreciate 0