E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Upgrading Turbo advice

07-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
Bryera
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D E90

Upgrading Turbo advice

OK this may have been covered 1 or 2 times but need it in simple turns as I am very simple when it comes to cars

I have a 320D e90 2005 163bhp had it mapped and am getting about 198bhp out of it but have been tolled if I wont to be getting about 245bhp to look at new turbo. Most people like the Hybrid turbo but is there any thing else out there what would give me more ?? And if I was to look at new turbo would I have to replace over things on the car to cope with the new power ?? and with out going silly money as at the end of the day it only 2L what price would I be looking at for it to be done.

I am happy with the car but off the lights there just nothing there ? and have looked at the BMW 3L but then I am looking at spending more money on the car on fuel and tax am I not ? and if I can get the car to 240 then that's the same as a 330d standard is it not ? just need there to be more talk lower down as at 3500 rpm lot of the power kicks in ?

any advice would be a big help as like I say don't know much out them

Thanks Guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

A 240hp tuned 320d will be quite different to drive to a stock 330d.

The smaller engine will be laggier, and will come on boost with a much harder "hit", whereas the stock 330 pulls from 1500rpm and is very smooth, which makes it almost feel a bit slow.

The additional lag from a 320d with a larger turbo means the car will be worse "off the lights" than it is already, as you'd need even more revs to get the car going.

The stock turbo is near maxed out around 210-220 AFAIK. The 177/184 cars map to around there, and their turbo is the same as yours. You will probably also find the limit of the stock injectors is around there too, so going for any more power requires a set of new, larger injectors.

I would be tempted to sort an intercooler upgrade (330d part will bolt streight on with some hose tweaks), delete the Cat and DPF if you havent already, fit a larger exhaust (330d one fits pretty much straight on), and get a proper custom tune on the car you've got without changing anything else. If your prepared to put up with a bit of smoke, you might be able to achieve around 220hp, and again if you dont mind some smoke you can dump in a lot more fuel low down the revs to get the car spooled up quicker and help with the lag off the lights. However you'll need a proper custom mapper to do this, your average flash tune garage dont have the skills, and the off the shelf maps they sell tend to try to keep the smoke levels down as much as possible.

If you go down the bigger turbo route, your going to be out £2k by the time you've sorted the turbo and injectors, and that amount of cash would go a long way towards buying a 330.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Bryera
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D E90

So bigger and better injeters would help with off the mark as i feel still with the map it slugesh lol
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
thiis320
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Hi, I too have a 163 320d I've just had a hybrid turbo put on and a map too suit, cost over2k as other parts had to be replaced, I'm not sure of the power output it needs to go on the rollers, it doesn't feel quick as the power is smooth but then you get another kick of power no black smoke or anything, i have a thread about my blown turbo. Will update when I ger some figures. To be fair if the turbo hadn't of gone I would of bought a new car next year and saved the money, i bought the 320 after my tuned Leon cupra and miss the way petrol drives
Appreciate 0