E90Post
 


Extreme Powerhouse
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > The Running Thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #133
cotmfk
Major General
cotmfk's Avatar
794
Rep
5,177
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
Iím on day 6 of 30 day 5k (minimum) everyday challenge. Anyone done it?
I have not. Plenty of people do streaking, but that is a minimum of 1 mile per day, not 3.1. I definitely think it is possible, but soreness/recovery needs usually tell me when to take a day off. That said, I haven't taken a day off yet this month and have done 4+ miles each day.

Good luck!!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #134
Jordan's World
Enlisted Member
Jordan's World's Avatar
United_States
271
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
what is the length of time for not eating when you say run FASTED ? I sometimes go 12 + hours w/o eating and then run up to 10 or 12 miles and have no fueling issues. Maybe a sip of water before heading out.
The ideal fasting time varies from person to person. For someone like myself who is in pretty decent shape and active, I find that 18-hour fasts are enough in reducing body fat and maintaining muscle without feeling too lethargic throughout the day. I typically do these 18-hour fasts, 5 days a week Monday- Friday and leave the weekends open for random eating adventures and drinking. The concept is simple, a longer fasting time allows your body to “use up” circulating sugars more efficiently and transition into your fat stores as a last resort. Now, there is a bit more at play here on the cellular level and the liver, however I don’t want to bore you with too much science.

The golden fasting time is still widely debated, but most studies show anything in excess of 16 hours is ideal for most. To give you an idea, your liver is typically depleted of glucose completely (near 1% remaining) at around the 24-hour mark: (This isn't the goal, but am using it as a gauge).

I hope this helps, but encourage you to do your own research and talk to your doctor before trying as some medications can lose efficacy when fasting.

Recent study from Harvard:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018062914156
https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ve-your-health

NCBI study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6836017/

A-Z of Intermittent Fasting PDF: The A-Z of Intermittent Fasting_ Everything You Need to Know eBook.pdf
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #135
cotmfk
Major General
cotmfk's Avatar
794
Rep
5,177
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
I have not. Plenty of people do streaking, but that is a minimum of 1 mile per day, not 3.1. I definitely think it is possible, but soreness/recovery needs usually tell me when to take a day off. That said, I haven't taken a day off yet this month and have done 4+ miles each day.

Good luck!!!
And I took the last two days off. LOL
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #136
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1820
Rep
4,709
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
The ideal fasting time varies from person to person. For someone like myself who is in pretty decent shape and active, I find that 18-hour fasts are enough in reducing body fat and maintaining muscle without feeling too lethargic throughout the day. I typically do these 18-hour fasts, 5 days a week Monday- Friday and leave the weekends open for random eating adventures and drinking. The concept is simple, a longer fasting time allows your body to ďuse upĒ circulating sugars more efficiently and transition into your fat stores as a last resort. Now, there is a bit more at play here on the cellular level and the liver, however I donít want to bore you with too much science.

The golden fasting time is still widely debated, but most studies show anything in excess of 16 hours is ideal for most. To give you an idea, your liver is typically depleted of glucose completely (near 1% remaining) at around the 24-hour mark: (This isn't the goal, but am using it as a gauge).

I hope this helps, but encourage you to do your own research and talk to your doctor before trying as some medications can lose efficacy when fasting.

Recent study from Harvard:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018062914156
https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ve-your-health

NCBI study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6836017/

A-Z of Intermittent Fasting PDF: Attachment 2305405

Good info above, thanks,

Maybe to due Covid and some other events? Iíve been often only eating one meal a day - dinner, and getting in some 10, 7 or 6 mile runs plus dumbbell workouts on days not running. The long periods of not eating for me are really helping me relax or focus. Iím weighting around 175 and should be closer to 160 when Iím in fighting shape. I want to start doing 24 hour fast.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #137
Jordan's World
Enlisted Member
Jordan's World's Avatar
United_States
271
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
The ideal fasting time varies from person to person. For someone like myself who is in pretty decent shape and active, I find that 18-hour fasts are enough in reducing body fat and maintaining muscle without feeling too lethargic throughout the day. I typically do these 18-hour fasts, 5 days a week Monday- Friday and leave the weekends open for random eating adventures and drinking. The concept is simple, a longer fasting time allows your body to “use up” circulating sugars more efficiently and transition into your fat stores as a last resort. Now, there is a bit more at play here on the cellular level and the liver, however I don’t want to bore you with too much science.

The golden fasting time is still widely debated, but most studies show anything in excess of 16 hours is ideal for most. To give you an idea, your liver is typically depleted of glucose completely (near 1% remaining) at around the 24-hour mark: (This isn't the goal, but am using it as a gauge).

I hope this helps, but encourage you to do your own research and talk to your doctor before trying as some medications can lose efficacy when fasting.

Recent study from Harvard:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018062914156
https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ve-your-health

NCBI study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6836017/

A-Z of Intermittent Fasting PDF: Attachment 2305405

Good info above, thanks,

Maybe to due Covid and some other events? I’ve been often only eating one meal a day - dinner, and getting in some 10, 7 or 6 mile runs plus dumbbell workouts on days not running. The long periods of not eating for me are really helping me relax or focus. I’m weighting around 175 and should be closer to 160 when I’m in fighting shape. I want to start doing 24 hour fast.
Sounds good. If you do try the 24 hours fasts, make sure you're eating enough in your feeding window.

I've found it's hard to get enough down for an 18 hour fast. That extra 6 hours is brutal.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #138
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9617
Rep
8,248
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

President Trump must've working on a new stealth wall. I was going quite a bit faster the first 2k, then hit a wall. Pushed thru, got a second wind and was moving along faster than normal again
On the return, at the same spot, ran into that wall again. Didn't find a third wind, but managed to finish
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #139
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
751
Rep
668
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Sheesh, don't know how you guys fast that long. I'm hungry just thinking about going 18hrs+ without food. Running has never been a main focus though, always something to do on the back end of my workouts. Typically run a 5k a few days a week, around a 7min pace so nothing to write home about. So I try to keep my body as well fed as possible. I'll eat around 11am and not eat until I run later that day, roughly 5pm, and usually feel pretty good after a 6hr fast.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #140
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1820
Rep
4,709
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Sheesh, don't know how you guys fast that long. I'm hungry just thinking about going 18hrs+ without food. Running has never been a main focus though, always something to do on the back end of my workouts. Typically run a 5k a few days a week, around a 7min pace so nothing to write home about. So I try to keep my body as well fed as possible. I'll eat around 11am and not eat until I run later that day, roughly 5pm, and usually feel pretty good after a 6hr fast.
7-minute pace when doing 5K's a few times a week is actually impressive.


Also, I've been fasting, Though today for example my lunch was probably 4000+ calories.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 08:30 AM   #141
cotmfk
Major General
cotmfk's Avatar
794
Rep
5,177
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Sheesh, don't know how you guys fast that long. I'm hungry just thinking about going 18hrs+ without food. Running has never been a main focus though, always something to do on the back end of my workouts. Typically run a 5k a few days a week, around a 7min pace so nothing to write home about. So I try to keep my body as well fed as possible. I'll eat around 11am and not eat until I run later that day, roughly 5pm, and usually feel pretty good after a 6hr fast.
That is - that's pretty quick for not trying!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #142
Mingwan
Major
1301
Rep
1,105
Posts

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

Anyone dealt with patellar femoral syndrome and plantar fasciitis?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:20 PM   #143
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9617
Rep
8,248
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Anyone dealt with patellar femoral syndrome and plantar fasciitis?
Been dealing with PF for a couple of years. Which is why I'm switch more to bicycling
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #144
Mingwan
Major
1301
Rep
1,105
Posts

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Been dealing with PF for a couple of years. Which is why I'm switch more to bicycling
Have you attempted the numerous rehabilitation techniques available to help with PF? Knee strengthen exercises, various stretching techniques, mcconnell taping technique?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:27 PM   #145
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9617
Rep
8,248
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Have you attempted the numerous rehabilitation techniques available to help with PF? Knee strengthen exercises, various stretching techniques, mcconnell taping technique?
Ice buckets, my bro is PT and has done some sort of taping. Stretches at work while sitting on my fat ass. I have a boot that keeps the P stretched at night, that I can normally manage to wear for a few hours before I have to take it off. A little better getting out of the bed first thing when I wear that.

It used to be that I only felt it after playing/refereeing soccer matches, and I figured it the change of direction that stressed it. Now, even just running straight, heck after a weekend in the yard and I feel it.

I went to my regular ortho, and he said I was doing about all I could. HE wouldn't do any surgery on me.
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1300.50

      05-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #146
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1820
Rep
4,709
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Anyone dealt with patellar femoral syndrome and plantar fasciitis?
I've had both.
(I've been running for many years and have always recovered form an injury that hindered my running)

For my plantar fasciitis I'm guessing it was a pair of very soft Nike running shoes that contributed. Took time off, maybe used my bike and it cleared and has never resurfaced. Calf raises I do often because I think that is preventative.

For knee cap pain I've had quite a few episodes. Some took a few months to recover some took as short as a day to recover. I think/guess my weightlifting routine may have had been a factor and I think too many long runs and not enough rest played a roll. One episode was severe enough that I had an MRI done (radiologist supposedly saw cartilage floating) and there was talk of surgery if I wanted. But I rested, walked and progressed to walking with a weighted vest and within (I think) six-months I was back running. There was a time when my knee pain was so bad I couldn't walk without difficulty and walking down steps may have been tough (my memory fails)

So rest then walking then stretching: manipulating the knee and hips then weighted exercise: calf raises, leg extensions(-individual legs, low weight) .

Presently I'm running half-marathon distances, very steep hills and doing at times squatting half my body weight (which I'm doubting I'll ever go back to twice bodyweight just as preventive at this point in my life)

My girlfriend rehabs some very accomplished professional athletes and I did not like or I was so injured I couldn't use her techniques for patellar work.

So I encourage someone to assess their own situation, rest from activities that create the hurt and think positive and never accept that an injury will end what you look to do.
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1300.50

      05-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #147
dc503
First Lieutenant
98
Rep
314
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Anyone dealt with patellar femoral syndrome and plantar fasciitis?
I definitely had pretty significant issues with plantar fasciitis. I thought Dlpfcb gave some good info and advice on this subject. I've utilized all of these with some diligence and it's a non issue for me now days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
One mis conception about PF is chasing the solve through shoes. This is typically related to a muscle imbalance which is usually from weaker hips, glutes and calves. Weight Training and bands is one of the best thing you can do. Landing also plays a huge role in injuries. Walk on a treadmill or in you house barefoot and focus on how you land. You will always come down on your heal. Now do the same thing but run barefoot. You will naturally come up higher on the ball of your foot but will almost never let your heel slam when your barefoot. Thats the landing you want to have with shoes. Focus on landing and strength training and I'm sure you will both beat it for good. Cheers Gents!
__________________
2016 340i
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1300.50

      05-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #148
Mingwan
Major
1301
Rep
1,105
Posts

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
I definitely had pretty significant issues with plantar fasciitis. I thought Dlpfcb gave some good info and advice on this subject. I've utilized all of these with some diligence and it's a non issue for me now days.
Thanks for the info. Thatís input Iíve come across numerous times throughout my research; that plantar fasciitis is often mistreated as the usual treatment tends to focus on alleviating the symptom rather than fixing the source of the problem; poor muscle imbalance, particularly underdeveloped flute muscles. When you think about, it makes a lot of sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #149
Mingwan
Major
1301
Rep
1,105
Posts

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Ice buckets, my bro is PT and has done some sort of taping. Stretches at work while sitting on my fat ass. I have a boot that keeps the P stretched at night, that I can normally manage to wear for a few hours before I have to take it off. A little better getting out of the bed first thing when I wear that.

It used to be that I only felt it after playing/refereeing soccer matches, and I figured it the change of direction that stressed it. Now, even just running straight, heck after a weekend in the yard and I feel it.

I went to my regular ortho, and he said I was doing about all I could. HE wouldn't do any surgery on me.
It seems like each PT has a different strategy for rehab for every condition. That makes sense since everybody is slightly different with different lifestyles.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #150
Mingwan
Major
1301
Rep
1,105
Posts

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I've had both.
(I've been running for many years and have always recovered form an injury that hindered my running)

For my plantar fasciitis I'm guessing it was a pair of very soft Nike running shoes that contributed. Took time off, maybe used my bike and it cleared and has never resurfaced. Calf raises I do often because I think that is preventative.

For knee cap pain I've had quite a few episodes. Some took a few months to recover some took as short as a day to recover. I think/guess my weightlifting routine may have had been a factor and I think too many long runs and not enough rest played a roll. One episode was severe enough that I had an MRI done (radiologist supposedly saw cartilage floating) and there was talk of surgery if I wanted. But I rested, walked and progressed to walking with a weighted vest and within (I think) six-months I was back running. There was a time when my knee pain was so bad I couldn't walk without difficulty and walking down steps may have been tough (my memory fails)

So rest then walking then stretching: manipulating the knee and hips then weighted exercise: calf raises, leg extensions(-individual legs, low weight) .

Presently I'm running half-marathon distances, very steep hills and doing at times squatting half my body weight (which I'm doubting I'll ever go back to twice bodyweight just as preventive at this point in my life)

My girlfriend rehabs some very accomplished professional athletes and I did not like or I was so injured I couldn't use her techniques for patellar work.

So I encourage someone to assess their own situation, rest from activities that create the hurt and think positive and never accept that an injury will end what you look to do.
I recently realized that my footwear may be a contributing factor. I just bought some inserts with arch support as Iím flat footed, and noticed that my left foot feels more discomfort around the arch area. It seems over time that my left arch has collapsed further into flat footedness. Of course, my left knee and heel are the problematic areas.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #151
dc503
First Lieutenant
98
Rep
314
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Thanks for the info. Thatís input Iíve come across numerous times throughout my research; that plantar fasciitis is often mistreated as the usual treatment tends to focus on alleviating the symptom rather than fixing the source of the problem; poor muscle imbalance, particularly underdeveloped flute muscles. When you think about, it makes a lot of sense.
Yessir, good luck! Discovering a lot of underlying muscle weaknesses and imbalances and correcting them has unlocked a lot of pain free activity for me in the last few years.
__________________
2016 340i
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1300.50

      05-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #152
Mingwan
Major
1301
Rep
1,105
Posts

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Yessir, good luck! Discovering a lot of underlying muscle weaknesses and imbalances and correcting them has unlocked a lot of pain free activity for me in the last few years.
Thanks dude.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST