E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Throttle response

11-01-2015, 03:18 AM   #1
hondarayblue
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport

Throttle response

We have two E9x in our family. My wife has a E92 325I and I drive a E90 330i. Both are on a 06 plate. Now here's the problem; the throttle response of the 325i is much sharper than the 330i. The 325i just accelerates a lot smoother and quicker than my E90. I recently had all the codes read, and only got a windshield wiper and a idrive code. The transmission was serviced recently at A1BN, and I had a full service less than six months ago.
Any ideas where to start looking?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #2
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

reset throttle adaption. use the search function!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
hondarayblue
Private
Rep

Throttle adaptations were reset two weeks ago during transmission service. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

What was done on "full service" exactly.

Just replaced the air filter on my 330, even though it looked clean, could not believe the difference it made.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
hondarayblue
Private
Rep

Full service included oil and filter change. Air filter, cabin filter, new spark plugs, vanos exhaust solenoid and engine flush. Apparently all engine timing was reset as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Tough one but you've highlighted it so it's on your mind.

Re setting adaptations is fine(as you've stated this was done on transmission service we done)but all you're doing here is to allow everything to sync to the transmissions new found clean fluid, flowing filter that's all and essentially the car adapts to that.

As both your cars are the same age you can clearly see/feel the difference therefore there are a couple of routes you can opt for.

1/ look at updating the DME software as well as the gearbox software itself, then again re setting all adaptations, (it's way more focused than the re set options too) though these were re set on yours all we are doing is re setting(which can make a difference as you felt in the drive) but we have with software updates in the past managed to get a cars sparkle back. At the same time also update the fuel pump software too.

Your updating software to 2014/15 spec(depending on when the cars latest software update was made available) will this make a difference? Well yes it would, plus and this is the big question you say your cars had the exhaust vanos solenoid replaced, who replaced it? Though replaced if everything hadn't of been adapted/updated post fitting(though you indicate they may well have been) then perhaps the cars still reacting in its pre change mode, sure the solenoid will function as it should but the icing on the cake is yo reset and instruct the ECU that the update has taken place. And yes we've seen the odd one again cinerio life once we've understood what been fine and potentially what we feel hasn't been done! We done another members 330i on here who'd had the actual vanos unit replaced yet we discovered it had just been replaced, not set up and ECU re set once done (we remapped as well car totally changed)

2/ Second option perhaps is to remap the car, sure you won't see 330d type BHP/Torque improvements but you'll 100% get decent throttle response(it will usually feel so much sharper), more torque, better on/off throttle behaviour, slightly better fuel economy too plus other nice touches. Carry this out along with the gearbox/fuel pump update then you'll notice the difference trust me.

They are the real options is say that are open to you, though no faults lie in your cars ECU doesn't mean everything is fighting at 100% efficiency, be interested on the vanos side of things though as you say they've re set everything!
      11-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
hondarayblue
Private
Rep

Thanks for your input Steve, informative as ever. Just had a look at the paperwork regarding the exhaust solenoid. It states " Replaced exhaust vanos solenoid and reset engine adaptations ". My local garage suggested that maybe the 325i had already been remapped, which might account for the difference in performance.
I think I will go the remap route along with your suggestion of the software updates. Can't do no harm can it. I will be in touch shortly.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarayblue View Post
Thanks for your input Steve, informative as ever. Just had a look at the paperwork regarding the exhaust solenoid. It states " Replaced exhaust vanos solenoid and reset engine adaptations ". My local garage suggested that maybe the 325i had already been remapped, which might account for the difference in performance.
I think I will go the remap route along with your suggestion of the software updates. Can't do no harm can it. I will be in touch shortly.
If the replacement was done by BMW then all being well I'd of hoped they'd of done the right thing post fitting, if it was done by a place say with a snap on machine then I'd be as I know these have settings but also know garages that have them try doing things on them shall I say don't achieve their goals like a sprint booster, doubtful but you never know.

As to whether the 325 has been remapped say. A glance at the file would reveal all Ray but so would just a drive if you've driven enough you'll know, not inconceivable that perhaps the car might have a device on the throttle pedal to increase sensivity and response.
      11-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
hondarayblue
Private
Rep

The solenoid replacement was done by a former Bmw senior Technician who now has his own business in London. He seems to have all the relevant equipment to have done the job properly, but he'll, what do I know.
As I drive the 325i quite often, the difference in the performance is quite noticeable. It just feels smoother and more responsive.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarayblue View Post
The solenoid replacement was done by a former Bmw senior Technician who now has his own business in London. He seems to have all the relevant equipment to have done the job properly.
As I drive the 325i quite often, the difference in the performance is quite noticeable. It just feels smoother and more responsive.
Fair chance then that he'll of done the correct procedure, but re the differenceonly way firward I'd say is as suggested