E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Speed limits to be cut on single carriage roads

03-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Question Speed limits to be cut on single carriage roads

Not sure if this will actually happen, but if it does, we will have grandma and grandpa doing 30mph on national speed limit roads....great!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-21180165/

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Noooooo though they have alreay done this on some NSLs round my way!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Many single land road, previously 60 mph, have chnaged to 50mph round here as well. Been like that on some for a ef years. Even our dual carriage way (barried central reservation) is 50mph.... and its a 4.5 mile straight road with a nice hill down over the water.

They added some nice 'parking' areas for police vans as well.

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
removing sh*t drivers off the road will prevent accidents!!1...not that stupid speed limit and those bloody cameras!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
removing sh*t drivers off the road will prevent accidents!!1...not that stupid speed limit and those bloody cameras!!!
Agree 200 % I have always said that it is crap drivers that cause accidents not driving at speed , when driving at speed you are really aware of your surroundings and I feel in full control you have to be otherwise your dead , its the old grannys crawling along thats the problem just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Who pull out in front of people.
      03-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
+2!!

I've had numerous arguments over the years with people on this subject as they simply do not understand the whole concept.

I've lost count of the number of times in my driving 'career' that having a powerful car and the ability to 'speed' has actually got me out of any potential danger.

Prime example of how the average person drives in their own little world in the cocooned bubble that is the cabin of their car: M1 the other year when I had the E92 335d. All three lanes quite busy with traffic moving at more or less the national speed limit. I'm in the outside lane stuck behind some numpty doing 75 mph. Police Volvo appears in my rear view mirror, lights flashing etc, he's obviously on a mission. Bloke in front of me doesn't put his foot down as if he's panicking that the copper is there, so I flash my lights at him to either hurry up or move over, which he eventually does but then I'm unable to move into the middle lane. I just floored it (this was post re-map btw), hit around 115 mph and moved over. Police come by and the passenger copper gives me the thumbs up. Only time I may get away with speeding like that!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quality Helen.
      03-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree totally Helen. A cop in hurry doesn't care if you speed etc to get out of his way. I've done the same myself. On a busy single carriageway I had a cop coming up behind me with the lights and siren on, the road way busy and was pretty narrow and he would have struggled to have got passed me, so i floored it so i could pull into parking space a few hundred yards ahead.

It absolutely is the moron drivers (normally old) that cause accidents.

They pull out without looking. Drive far too slow. Go the wrong way down one way streets etc etc.

I every so often suffer from the occasional road rage and have often come close to getting out of the car and punching some idiot drivers.

I think instead of messing around reducing speed limits they should make everyone over 60 years old take a 'top-up' test. This would get rid of 90% of the idiots who cause accidents. I've lost count of the amount of times a wrinkly has done something utterly gobsmackingly stupid.

The should also increase the speed limit on motorways but make it illegal for anyone doing less than 80mph to go in the fast lane.

I have to admit, I always abide by the speed limit (honest) but this isn't because I can't drive but cos I don't want to get another speeding ticket.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Hmmm, interesting concept. So they think by lowering the speed by 10mph will stop people overtaking? How enlightening...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
rup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 - 23 Sdrive

Don't vote for that moron Brown or his useless cronies is all i can say.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 04:04 AM   #12
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Interesting the number of people who think that older drivers are wandering death machines causing mayhem left right and center when the statistics utterly fail to support that view.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #13
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Personally Dave, I'm neither sexist or ageist when it comes to idiot drivers. I believe there's a mixed bag across the whole spectrum, (women can be ditherers though). Madman has a point about Lincolnshire and older drivers I have to say.

I agree that statistically older drivers are not the ones causing some of the problems on our roads, although I find it very disconcerting that in this country eye sight checks are a bit lax imo. Remember watching this programme years ago where they just 'picked on' one leafy village somewhere in the UK and stopped older drivers at random and asked them to volunteer to do a basic eye sight test - results were scary.

None of us are perfect drivers, but I will continue to drive 'for other people' as I'm sure many of us on here do.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 04:58 AM   #14
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rup View Post
Don't vote for that moron Brown or his useless cronies is all i can say.
+1 ... another reason to shift labour at the earliest possible oportunity. I know there all bad'uns but some are worse

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #15
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Interesting the number of people who think that older drivers are wandering death machines causing mayhem left right and center when the statistics utterly fail to support that view.
Discounting the 'boy racer' I can't remember the last time I saw someone under the age of 60 doing anything completely shockingly stupid on the road.

However, in the last few weeks I have witnessed a bloke and a woman in their 70's going 40mph on the M62. I've seen a guy in his 70's attempt to parallel park and completely destroy the front and side of the guys car he was parking next to. Despite the fact that another guy was stood in front of the idiots car shouting and waving, the silly old tw*t continued trying to park up while grinding down the side of the car. Then he got out of his car like nothing had happened and walked off. I've had a wrinkly pull out straight in front of me from a junction and didn't even look, I had to slam on and swerve to avoid her.

How often do you see oldies revving the balls off a car for no apparent reason? Or see some oldie struggling to waddle his way down the street and then jumping into a (none motorbility) car.

It might be a sweeping generalisation and perhaps statistics don't back me up, but if compulsory eye tests and reaction time tests were introduced to over 60's and basic retests were given, I guarantee that a huge amount of dangerous drivers will be removed from our roads making them a MUCH safer place.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #16
Oil Burner
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 330d SE Auto

whilst in devon at the weekend followed an "invalid " carriage that drove up the middle of the road for half a mile, forcing on coming traffic to go onto the pavement to get past

guess only posisitve was it was only doing about three miles an hour
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #17
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

It gets BETTER!.....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle5870886.ece

Looks like we'll have to GUESS what speed we need to go!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Read the comment at the bottom from Jen of Oxford!!...HAHAHA!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #18
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

For every accident caused by a doddering old granny there are probably 10000 rear end shunts and motorway sideswipes!

Quote:
Discounting the 'boy racer' I can't remember the last time I saw someone under the age of 60 doing anything completely shockingly stupid on the road.
You dont see thousands of mindless tailgating idiots on the motorways just waiting for a multiple shunt?

The mothers on their mobiles with the kids in the back?

The van drivers who change lane without looking?

That bloke in a suit with a mapbook on the steering wheel at 65mph? (he's slowed down to make it safe so it must be OK)

The lorries tailgating each other in torrential rain?

You dont see the idiots whose reaction to dense fog is to switch the old lights on and press on regardless?

You miss the muppets doing 40-50 past schools?

You dont see the undertaking idiots on _every_ motorway?

You dont see the crunched wrecks of saxos, corsas and the like driven into ditches by teenagers who think they can drive fast?

What about the people who decide at the last minute they simply _must_ take the next motorway exit and veer across three lanes of traffic, almost losing it on the gravel build up on the chevrons and barely dumping enough speed to make it round the exit ramp?

If you worked in a hospital you'd see countless bikers who get pulled out in front of by apparently normal drivers who are incapable of judging time and distance.

You dont see the lorries spewing derv onto roundabouts from their left open fuel tanks (a lovely way to dispose of a biker next time it rains)?

If you were a motorway cop you'd know that drivers falling asleep at the wheel after driving 5 hours home from an 'important meeting' cause large swathes of destruction.

What about that car in front towing a tiny trailor at ridiculous and unstable speeds?

Bald tyres! defective brakes! FLAT tyres! and that 15 year old toyota with one corner so badly sagging you just know the suspension has gone - see em every day.

What you can't see are the drunks, the stoned and the terminally stupid, the uninsured, the unliscensed and the banned - but they are there in large numbers happily causing accidents too.

Maybe Lincolnshire is different with only tractors and grannies to worry about but from what I see old people are the least of our worries.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #19
Oil Burner
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 330d SE Auto

ok so own up, whos been annoying Jen of Oxford!!! nothing like stereotyping
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #20
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Its not me. 4 is the maximum number of cars I have overtaken at any one time.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #21
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
:red pen: 7/10 Madman, must try harder !
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #22
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Definately not me... my record is 6................... and a lorry.