E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Anyone try Race Chip?

06-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #23
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
I wrote to the USA site, and received the following response. Kinda sounded a bit like a sales response rather than technical. Some of the answers don't make sense. Some sound like they didn't understand my question. Their response in bold. Perhaps you fellows might have asked different questions or in a different way.
------------------------------------------------
As a current BMS JBD user, I am intrigued by your Race Chips. I notice that the processor and processing speed of the three different modules (RaceChip, RaceChip Pro2, and RaceChip CR Ultimate) are different. I also have read the text where it says each module is shipped “with the best possible setting for your vehicle type.” I briefly looked at the tuning method, showing two potentiometers.
>> This is based on average engine tolerance. There are engines here and there that may need fine tuning down or up to hit the sweat spot of the engine. In general the factory setting is the recommended one, however.

As you describe them as being tunable, what is the range plus and minus that the consumer can modify the tune level.
>> There are 89 settings which call different software maps. As the torque curve also changes this cannot be answered in absolute numbers. Normally we would be able to adjust within a range of plus minus 6%.

Is there some overlap with the different modules? In other words, is the lowest setting of the CR Ultimate higher or lower than the highest setting of the Pro2?
>> The Ultimate reads the software differently and the torque map applies somewhat different. The Ultimate and Pro2 next to each other on vehicles will feel a bit different

How do the two potentiometers relate to one another?
>> One controls power, the other one controls torque

Are there situations, such as insufficient warm up, where the devices would cause the BMW DDE to throw a code?
>> A bad fuel batch could throw a light which would be reset by use of the dummy plug

What are some examples of the codes one would experience?
>> We don't require a code reader

As shipped, what is the typical power increase percentage of one module over the one below it?
>> Goal is within 3% of the website values

I have read your table showing the percentage differences between the modules regarding maximum power available. From the table, and from my understanding of how the modules can be customized, it seems that the customer could tune the middle module to increase the power available above that of the CR Ultimate as shipped. True?
>> No, the Pro2 cannot exceed the Ultimate. The specs inside are different.

The Ultimate offers the following advantages over the Pro2 module:

- latest ARM Cortex III processor
- quicker map processing
- better throttle response
- max. power output
- "watchdog" protection system (monitors the working processes of the chip, detects possible malfunctions and removes them)
- USB port for software updates
Just bought the Racechip. I agree with all that was said above about there being limits to what one can do messing the the fuel rail. That said, the Racechip is definitely smoother than the JBD or the DTUK. I am still somewhat baffled by the power adjustment instructions according the booklet that came with the Racechip Ultimate the two dials have to do with "duration" and "power". I have no idea what duration means in this context and want to encourage Racechip USA to hire someone other than a German with feeble english language skills. The animated videos on the website are just awful...like a terrible Mentos commercial.

Bottomline: Racechip feels smoother, more refined and less prone to throwing codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #24
Xtremektm
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I have race chip on my 2011 335d. I used the cheaper one and work good. I contact race chip qbout what is the max setting to get good power and this is what they responde:

From power level 2 – in your case ‘E/2’ -just keep going changing switch S1 clockwise to the next position.
Every step is 1,5% more power.
Please do the changings step by step and drive some kilometers after changing the setting just to make sure that the engine works fine.
The maximum is reached when S1 is on position ' 7 ' .
For switch S2 there is no fixed value, since this switch regulates the range of rpm in which the RaceChip is active, moreover when it deactivates.
We recommend you to go at highest until S2: ‘4’ .
That means that the RaceChip is active until about 4000 rpm.
More wouldn’t be good for a diesel engine.
So the max setting we recommend is: 7 / 4 .
For any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us again.
Please don’t delete the old messages, just because we can answer you faster then.
We hope this information was helpful for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:21 AM   #25
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

I just bought the Racechip Ultimate but have not had a chance to fully test it yet. I will say that the CHIP Express is definitely better than the JBD. Can't explain why given they are both monkeying with fueling. Main areas where it is better:

-Turned to max power and have not thrown a code even when cold.
-More power than the JBD even with it turned up to 100%
-More "natural" feel to the power delivery
-Transmission shifts fine with it

I realize that everything listed above is subjective as hell. I wonder if the programming of these chips has improved since the JBD was originally released. again I recognize that the only thing these chips are doing is cranking up the fueling but perhaps a newer and faster generation of silicon is making a difference.

I will report on a racechip USA tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 01:38 AM   #26
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
I just bought the Racechip Ultimate but have not had a chance to put it in yet. I will say that the CHIP Express is definitely better than the JBD. Can't explain why given they are both monkeying with fueling. Main areas where it is better:

I realize that everything listed above is subjective as hell. I wonder if the programming of these chips has improved since the JBD was originally released. again I recognize that the only thing these chips are doing is cranking up the fueling but perhaps a newer and faster generation of silicon is making a difference.

Would you mind taking a picture of the circuit board on the RaceChip please?
      06-06-2015, 03:30 AM   #27
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

In Germany the race chip is known as 'Russ Chip' (soot chip) and even AC/DC wrote a bunch of songs about it (Let There Be Smoke, If You Want Smoke You Got It, For Those About To Smoke We Salute You...)

Up to 90hp is tempting. Couple of months ago I was about to buy one but refused after reading too much about rough idle, clogged DPF, CBU, wavy torque with cutout above 3500rpm
      06-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #28
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
What's with that $600 price point? Hope it comes with a Flesh Light.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #29
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteblue
In Germany the race chip is known as 'Russ Chip' (soot chip) and even AC/DC wrote a bunch of songs about it (Let There Be Smoke, If You Want Smoke You Got It, For Those About To Smoke We Salute You...)

Up to 90hp is tempting. Couple of months ago I was about to buy one but refused after reading too much about rough idle, clogged DPF, CBU, wavy torque with cutout above 3500rpm
I have spent the day driving with the Racechip Ultimate. So far, so good even though I don't fully understand the power adjustments. Power delivery is smooth and linear (much better than DTUK or JBD). I have yet to throw a code and there has been no funky transmission adaptation which I really appreciate. Until I explore the upper limits of the settings I'm not sure the $599 price tag is warranted. Thus far, my favorite tune is the CHIP Express turned up full blast.

With regard to soot and rough idle, frankly I feel like it makes zero sense. How the hell would anyone sell a tuning box if it provided a rough idle. With regard to extra soot, increased fueling means more DPF regens. It is not like that is new news, but an inescapable side effect of deciding to use a tuning box.

I have now used the DTUK, JBD, Chip Express and Racechip Ultimate. I like Chip Express the best, but I have a sense that once I dial in the Racechip Ultimate it is likely to take the top spot.
Appreciate 1
OR335d9.00
      06-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #30
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
I have now used the DTUK, JBD, Chip Express and Racechip Ultimate. I like Chip Express the best, but I have a sense that once I dial in the Racechip Ultimate it is likely to take the top spot.
This may have been covered by someone already, but are the Chip Express and Racechip devices connected in the exact same way as the JBD?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #31
BimmerToolRental
Wannabe Mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335D

I finally got to installing my ultimate. Honestly at the manufacturer "safe" setting, there is no way in hell i would ever buy this again, it is barely noticeable. That being said i have not turned it up at all since i don't want to cause any issues for a car under warranty. I removed it after 1 test drive, wasn't worth it.

I am not saying it wont be noticeable if you mess with it, but these are the recommended settings. I am not bashing the company, i am just not willing to turn it (or any other chip) up past their safe setting right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 02:30 AM   #32
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan
Quote:
This may have been covered by someone already, but are the Chip Express and Racechip devices connected in the exact same way as the JBD?
Yes, they plug into the fuel rail exactly the same way. Only the DTUK has you plug into the fuel rail as well as the turbo. Ironically the best map on the DTUK (map 4) was the one that ignored the turbo and increased fueling only.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 02:39 AM   #33
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerToolRental
I finally got to installing my ultimate. Honestly at the manufacturer "safe" setting, there is no way in hell i would ever buy this again, it is barely noticeable. That being said i have not turned it up at all since i don't want to cause any issues for a car under warranty. I removed it after 1 test drive, wasn't worth it.

I am not saying it wont be noticeable if you mess with it, but these are the recommended settings. I am not bashing the company, i am just not willing to turn it (or any other chip) up past their safe setting right now.
Every tuning box behaves this way particularly the JBD. Which is to say, out of the box with it "set to optimal " you feel nothing. For example, I immediately turned the JBD up to 100% and then I felt a big difference .

Same goes with the Racechip. Crank it up and you will feel a big difference. Beyond the emissions system and CBU these cars can handle the stress of a tuning box. I know for a fact that many on these boards have been running with tuning boxes basically trouble free for more than a year myself included.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #34
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335D Sport

Quote:
From the company web page, each of the three levels of plugins have a different processor. The cheapest 8 MHz, middle 24 MHz, and the high end 48 MHz. The first two are 8 bit, the high end 32 bit. Tuning operations per second: middle is twice as many as the low end, high end is twice as many per second as the middle.
JBD uses an 8 bit PIC18F2431 processor. Not sure of the actual clock frequency but the chip is apparently 40MHz capable.

FWIW, My 88 vette ECU uses an 8 bit 68HC11 processor running at 4MHz. That's controlling all the engine/transmission/OBD/emissions etc on an engine with rapidly changing inputs and outputs.

Although they may use it because they are inexpensive, manipulation of a single slow moving voltage definitely doesn't require a 32bit 48MHz processor. In my eyes, the BS marketing decreases their credibility.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #35
Xtremektm
Rep

I use the race chip box (cheaper one) and with setting 3 have good power. S1 on 3 and S2 on 3. I try S1 on 5 and up but get a engine reduce power (red hose is leaking oil). As soon change the red hose i will try maximun setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #36
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueisking
Quote:
From the company web page, each of the three levels of plugins have a different processor. The cheapest 8 MHz, middle 24 MHz, and the high end 48 MHz. The first two are 8 bit, the high end 32 bit. Tuning operations per second: middle is twice as many as the low end, high end is twice as many per second as the middle.
JBD uses an 8 bit PIC18F2431 processor. Not sure of the actual clock frequency but the chip is apparently 40MHz capable.

FWIW, My 88 vette ECU uses an 8 bit 68HC11 processor running at 4MHz. That's controlling all the engine/transmission/OBD/emissions etc on an engine with rapidly changing inputs and outputs.

Although they may use it because they are inexpensive, manipulation of a single slow moving voltage definitely doesn't require a 32bit 48MHz processor. In my eyes, the BS marketing decreases their credibility.
On some level I totally agree...a lot of the commentary around the silicon employed feels like marketing BS. That said, I don't think it totally crazy to think that as the years progress that some incremental improvement of the tuning boxes are made. The Racechip Ultimate is definitely less prone to throwing codes. It also definitely feels smoother than the JBD.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #37
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
There really can't be much of a difference in these chips other than marketing. They all do the same thing intercept the fuel rail pressure and under report it to the dde within the limits of the dde plausibility range. There isn't any magic to chips, the all work with the same sensor in the same way. The only difference can be the speed at which they ramp up pressure and at what pressure reading they begin to attenuate the signal.

Good read http://www.***********.com/showthrea...567#post530567

Sigh its on [Admin Notified] and it's a good read by burger motorsports
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #38
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle
There really can't be much of a difference in these chips other than marketing. They all do the same thing intercept the fuel rail pressure and under report it to the dde within the limits of the dde plausibility range. There isn't any magic to chips, the all work with the same sensor in the same way. The only difference can be the speed at which they ramp up pressure and at what pressure reading they begin to attenuate the signal.

Good read http://www.***********.com/showthrea...567#post530567

Sigh its on [Admin Notified] and it's a good read by burger motorsports
Again I agree but after reading on the X5 forum there is a difference in the programming and the speed of the programming execution. That said, I do think it is on the margin. The Racechip is better than the JBD but on a bang for buck basis I'm not sure one can argue against the JBD.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 09:46 PM   #39
Xtremektm
Rep

Quote:
Again I agree but after reading on the X5 forum there is a difference in the programming and the speed of the programming execution. That said, I do think it is on the margin. The Racechip is better than the JBD but on a bang for buck basis I'm not sure one can argue against the JBD.
Race chip is cheaper than JBD. Only the race chip 2 and ultimate are more expensive
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #40
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

I have the race chip 2, the $350 one and had to turn it up, couldnt tell any difference with stock. Its still a safe setting the computer wont let it turn it up too high even though its spraying more fuel, you have temperature sensors and other sensors to prevent damage. I think its a good product, but it will never be as good as an actual DDE tune.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #41
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremektm
Quote:
Race chip is cheaper than JBD. Only the race chip 2 and ultimate are more expensive
All my posts refer to the Racechip Ultimate. That is the only product on their website that claims to be the latest generation technology.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #42
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Second full day with Racechip.Settings are as follows: S1=2 and S2=6. Racechip is the best tuning box I have used. The car is fast as hell and very smooth. Power is generated in a Very linear fashion. Even though I agreed that a lot of the website claims were hype the Racechip Ultimate really delivers. It is much better than The JBD and DTUK and marginally better than the Chipexpress. If you check out the X5 boards my review is echoed by a lot of X5 diesel owners,
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #43
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d
Quote:
I just bought the Racechip Ultimate but have not had a chance to put it in yet. I will say that the CHIP Express is definitely better than the JBD. Can't explain why given they are both monkeying with fueling. Main areas where it is better:

Would you mind taking a picture of the circuit board on the RaceChip please?
Here you go
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #44
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Running Racechip Ultimate for three days with power turned up very high. Car has yet to throw a check engine light. We all know this is very unusual if you have the tuning box turned up to max power. No check engine lights even when cold. It does throw shadow codes related to fuel rail plausibility.
Appreciate 0