E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2011 E90 CIC Hard Drive Upgrade Success

01-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #23
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

tacaza YGPM

Note that any image you receive will likely require adjustment, as:

1. Most here will provide you an ECE (Europe/US) drive image, so it will not match your region (assuming you are in Asia); and
2. There is a VIN-specific key in partition 10. This is a backup of keys found in your flash, but these may need to be deleted before the drive is accepted by your car. Others may be able to provide a more definitive answer.

Which hard drive are you going to use? The CIC is very particular, only a few drives are recognized by the CIC. (Most Toshiba drives seem to work, and I know this IDE/SSD adapter works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

Last edited by Jagaer; 01-08-2018 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      01-08-2018, 07:03 AM   #24
tacaza
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagaer View Post
tacaza YGPM

Note that any image you receive will likely require adjustment, as:

1. Most here will provide you an ECE (Europe/US) drive image, so it will not match your region (assuming you are in Asia); and
2. There is a VIN-specific key in partition 10. This is a backup of keys found in your flash, but these may need to be deleted before the drive is accepted by your car. Others may be able to provide a more definitive answer.

Which hard drive are you going to use? The CIC is very particular, only a few drives are recognized by the CIC. (Most Toshiba drives seem to work, and I know this IDE/SSD adapter works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
Please tell me which partition contains VIN-specific key? And how to delete this key?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 01:11 AM   #25
adzie99
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

QNX Commands

Hi,

I have cloned the ssd however I am stuck on the part of resizing the music partition to use the extra space.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #26
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

See first post on this page: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...=841458&page=8
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #27
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

How much faster is this?? Is the nav faster?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 05:04 PM   #28
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The initial boot up is not vastly faster as the system still must boot from flash ram as it always does.

At the points the hard drive is active or in use there is a noticeable improvement in speed.

E.g. Scrolling the maps, switching to the satellite view, 3D buildings in cities, searching for POI's, etc. all are quicker.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #29
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Regarding the key on the partition. My CIC was a retrofit in the first place so it never had the proper VIN. I just took and image of my drive. I would be willing to share it if someone has a place where I can upload an 80 gig file.

For that matter if anyone has already resized the disk to work on the Zheino 128gb IDE SSD 128GB PATA SSD I would appreciate getting that image because it would save a lot of manual effort.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #30
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hey all so FWIW I successfully cloned the drive. But I did not resize it.

This is what I did and it was very simple. I first started with clonezilla and that was a miserable failure. I then said screw it, I'm doing a bit by bit copy.

1) Installed the ubuntu live CD onto a thumb drive
2) Booted my computer into that
3) Connected the CIC HDD via an IDE to usb connector (cheap on amazon)
4) ran a DD command dd if=/dev/sdc of=idrive-backup.img bs=64k status=progress
5) Then used this image to restore it to the new drive with command dd if=idrive-backup.img of=/dev/sdc

/dev/sdc will change from system to system, the idiots way to get this info is to plug in the drive and then run gparted from the command line. This will open up a graphical partition editor where there is a drop down menu showing all the connected drives and their drive letter, sdc in my case.

By very careful not to mix up the if (input) and of(output) command or you will copy data in the wrong direction and blank out your drive.

I did this primarily to back up the drive since it's 10 years old and a spinning disk in a moving car.

I may try to resize the partition sometime.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #31
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rasp View Post
If you guys are looking for more storage or just a little more speed, take a look at 7200 rpm drives.

I've been running this 7200 rpm Hitachi hard drive for over 3 years without any problems. Hitachi drives are without a doubt the most reliable disk drives made. (now known as HGST after WD bought them)

Have you ever had to use this in below freezing temps? My understanding with spinning disks has been you need to use automotive grade ones for the shock and temperatures. A traditional laptop might by uncertain.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 05:29 AM   #32
Goldbar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Hi I'm going to upgrade my HDD to SSD...already bought the parts. There's one issue I couldn't find any recommendation for:
When removing the HDD from the car - is it best to disconnect the battery before?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #33
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldbar View Post
Hi I'm going to upgrade my HDD to SSD...already bought the parts. There's one issue I couldn't find any recommendation for:
When removing the HDD from the car - is it best to disconnect the battery before?
I did not disconnect the battery the 6 times I connected or disconnected mine. But if you're concerned it's not too much effort to disconnect the battery.

FWIW I'm on week 3 or so of this SSD and it seems fine. Really no performance improvement I'm just paranoid of a 10 year old spinning disk in a moving object dying at some point.

I'll see how it does in the heat of summer though.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:24 AM   #34
Goldbar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Thank you!
The SSD I bought is RECADATA 128G. Reasonably priced.
It's industrial grade with working temp -40c - 85c. That should hold during summer. Plan to use it with Ableconn IIDE-MSAT mSATA to IDE adaptor. I wonder if anyone has tried this combination?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #35
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

I bought the same Recadata SSD, and for the same reason. You need to be careful with the adapter as the CIC chipset is picky, but it appears that the Ablecomm adapter will work.

I made a guide on upgrading to SSD here : https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426773
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 05:49 AM   #36
rottend
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 123d

Can anyone share his hdd image please? I managed to screw my navigation with bad map update, so I'm trying to rescue it somehow. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:59 AM   #37
DanoSTL
Rep
Drives: BMW e70 x3.5i

Cloned in Windoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake View Post
Hey all so FWIW I successfully cloned the drive. But I did not resize it.

This is what I did and it was very simple. I first started with clonezilla and that was a miserable failure. I then said screw it, I'm doing a bit by bit copy.

1) Installed the ubuntu live CD onto a thumb drive
2) Booted my computer into that
3) Connected the CIC HDD via an IDE to usb connector (cheap on amazon)
4) ran a DD command dd if=/dev/sdc of=idrive-backup.img bs=64k status=progress
5) Then used this image to restore it to the new drive with command dd if=idrive-backup.img of=/dev/sdc

/dev/sdc will change from system to system, the idiots way to get this info is to plug in the drive and then run gparted from the command line. This will open up a graphical partition editor where there is a drop down menu showing all the connected drives and their drive letter, sdc in my case.

By very careful not to mix up the if (input) and of(output) command or you will copy data in the wrong direction and blank out your drive.

I did this primarily to back up the drive since it's 10 years old and a spinning disk in a moving car.

I may try to resize the partition sometime.
I was having fits getting Linux to install on my PCs, so I had time to mess with Windows cloning software...

Bottom line, Paragon Hard Disk Manager 17 Advanced was crap. Corrupted the image and left the Nav section greyed-out.

But, HDD Raw Copy Tool v1.1 (Free) worked like a champ! It was fast, simple and made a perfect copy of my CIC HDD in Win7 32-bit.

Here's the link: https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

Cheers & good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #38
13X5M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 - BMW X5M

How has the drive held up over the years? I've done this with an MSATA and adapter tray, but it works for a few weeks and then has issues and loses the music partition and has other issues. I pull it and reformat and re-image and it works fine for a little while and then craps out again. I went with the RECADATA Msata as it was enterprise and had a higher temp rating. The music partition is the only issue and the rest of the CIC and NAV work fine. Thinking of switching over to a Zheino IDE SSD and dump the adapter as I'm wondering if it's corrupting the Music for some reason. Any advise?

(PS: I have an E70, but the CIC is the same)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #39
DanoSTL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13X5M View Post
How has the drive held up over the years? I've done this with an MSATA and adapter tray, but it works for a few weeks and then has issues and loses the music partition and has other issues. I pull it and reformat and re-image and it works fine for a little while and then craps out again. I went with the RECADATA Msata as it was enterprise and had a higher temp rating. The music partition is the only issue and the rest of the CIC and NAV work fine. Thinking of switching over to a Zheino IDE SSD and dump the adapter as I'm wondering if it's corrupting the Music for some reason. Any advise?

(PS: I have an E70, but the CIC is the same)
Whether the music gets corrupted is a great question. I only use my bluetooth from my phone for music! I just went out and tried it - plays fine from the music library on the ssd.

I can tell you that I used this hardware and it has worked fabulously, so far... about two months worth.
ADMS25IDE - ( 2.5" IDE mSATA drive)
Content: 2.5" IDE mSATA drive adapter, user guide
Shop Online
Price: 24.95 https://www.addonics.com/products/adms25ide.php

RECADATA mSATA III MLC High Level Enterprise Class Solid State Drive SSD (128GB)
Price: 39.99 Amazon.com
Cheers,
Dan
St. Louis
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #40
13X5M
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoSTL View Post
Whether the music gets corrupted is a great question. I only use my bluetooth from my phone for music! I just went out and tried it - plays fine from the music library on the ssd.

I can tell you that I used this hardware and it has worked fabulously, so far... about two months worth.
ADMS25IDE - ( 2.5" IDE mSATA drive)
Content: 2.5" IDE mSATA drive adapter, user guide
Shop Online
Price: 24.95 https://www.addonics.com/products/adms25ide.php

RECADATA mSATA III MLC High Level Enterprise Class Solid State Drive SSD (128GB)
Price: 39.99 Amazon.com
Cheers,
Dan
St. Louis
I have that same EXACT setup as I went off of your recc for the adapter and I have the same exact mSATA as well. I loaded around 25gigs of music on the Music Collection and it worked flawlessly for around 3-4 months and then one day the music collection just disappeared and it couldn't access any of it. I tried deleting it and then it was giving me an error message when trying to reload via USB saying the USB transfer failed. It's like the Music partition got corrupted. I pulled the drive and did a low level format to make sure it was completely clean and reloaded it with a good image. Worked fine for about a week and then crapped out again yesterday. I'm thinking the adapter may be the issue as the mSata drive was fine and had no issues in the low level format and I'm going to switch away and go with a true IDE SSD and take the adapter tray out of the loop.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #41
DanoSTL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13X5M View Post
I have that same EXACT setup as I went off of your recc for the adapter and I have the same exact mSATA as well. I loaded around 25gigs of music on the Music Collection and it worked flawlessly for around 3-4 months and then one day the music collection just disappeared and it couldn't access any of it. I tried deleting it and then it was giving me an error message when trying to reload via USB saying the USB transfer failed. It's like the Music partition got corrupted. I pulled the drive and did a low level format to make sure it was completely clean and reloaded it with a good image. Worked fine for about a week and then crapped out again yesterday. I'm thinking the adapter may be the issue as the mSata drive was fine and had no issues in the low level format and I'm going to switch away and go with a true IDE SSD and take the adapter tray out of the loop.
You get some pretty hot weather down there, i know! I wonder if that may have something to do with it? That adapter board may be failing under the high temps.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:10 AM   #42
13X5M
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoSTL View Post
You get some pretty hot weather down there, i know! I wonder if that may have something to do with it? That adapter board may be failing under the high temps.
That's what I was thinking as well as I know the mSATA can handle the hotter temp, but the adapter may not as it shows operating temp to 65c. I'll take one additional loop out of the equation and see if it helps. Seems like everyone is dumping the IDE drives (obviously as they are old tech) and they are getting harder and harder to find in SSD format. I found one of the Zheino 128gb's on ebay (new) for $65 so we'll see how it goes. If all else fails, I can still go back to the stock drive as it works fine and I have a backup image if it ever craps out I can just look for another direct replacement, but I wanted the larger music storage and that's why I went this route.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #43
bmw-extreme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

I wanted to clone cic hdd too. Before removing hdd, I deleted all media in hdd to clone it fastly. I noticed it showed just 12479 of 12500 bytes when I back to check it. It showed 12481 bytes after deleted all media again. (It was empty, but I again pressed delete button) And now cic hdd free space is 100% , but it shows 12481 of 12500 bytes. I am confused. It looks 100% empty, but 19 mb of free space loss. Could it be corrupted?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #44
zitexjp
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for your share

I follow the information are sucess change from HDD to SSD in my M3 and 335Lci to SSD

Thanks
Appreciate 0