E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > iDrive cutting out - when it rains?

11-04-2015, 02:36 AM   #1
essex-man
Rep
Drives: 325i

iDrive cutting out - when it rains?

Hi,

I've owned my 2008 325i convertible for just over a year now.

Last week I was driving to work and my iDrive switched itself off and on again (like a reboot). When it came back the sat nav didn't know it's position. I left the car in the car park at work and when I went home that afternoon all was back to normal.

This morning driving to work it done exactly the same thing...twice. This morning it was pouring with rain and I remembered then that when it happened last time it was also raining heavy. A quick bit of research threw up a concern with the 'micro power module' getting wet, which apparently is located under the spare wheel? Any idea where this would be on an E93 as I don't have spare wheel?

Maybe related but probably not, I had the engine management light come on for the first time a few days ago, continue driving but reduced power etc. Nothing seemed wrong with the car and when I restarted it to come home from work it was gone and hasn't been seen since.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex-man View Post
Hi,

I've owned my 2008 325i convertible for just over a year now.

Last week I was driving to work and my iDrive switched itself off and on again (like a reboot). When it came back the sat nav didn't know it's position. I left the car in the car park at work and when I went home that afternoon all was back to normal.

This morning driving to work it done exactly the same thing...twice. This morning it was pouring with rain and I remembered then that when it happened last time it was also raining heavy. A quick bit of research threw up a concern with the 'micro power module' getting wet, which apparently is located under the spare wheel? Any idea where this would be on an E93 as I don't have spare wheel?

Maybe related but probably not, I had the engine management light come on for the first time a few days ago, continue driving but reduced power etc. Nothing seemed wrong with the car and when I restarted it to come home from work it was gone and hasn't been seen since.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I am not sure how it is on the e93 but it could be water getting into the fin. I know the NAV stuff is located under the fins shell. Water could be getting into it causing it to lose signal when it is raining. Have you ever taken it off?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

I don't have a fin on my e93 but I do have a box in the boot under the carpet. It is a silver box and after running the car for a while it has a cooling fan that continues after the car has been turned off for a while.

Perhaps this is the culprit?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
essex-man
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset Jim View Post
I don't have a fin on my e93 but I do have a box in the boot under the carpet. It is a silver box and after running the car for a while it has a cooling fan that continues after the car has been turned off for a while.

Perhaps this is the culprit?
I don't have a fin either. I can look later but is the box in the centre under the carpet or does it sit in one of the recessed areas to either side?

My rear window was slightly steamed up a few days so this is kind of making sense.

Thanks for the help so far.
Appreciate 0