E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Paint protection

03-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
Richierich32
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d in White

Paint protection

Sorry before I ask this because I'm sure it's been asked before..

But is there a 'go to' product for sealing and protecting the paintwork on Bimmers? I've had the BMW one...well I was duped should I say when I bought the car but now I am having some scratches taken out I was looking to being it back to showroom condition and wanted to protect the car. The garage who is doing the cosmetic stuff says they can do the seal and protect but don't want to be ripped off again.

Any suggestions or help would be more than appreciated

Thank you
      03-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

Are you referring to a chemical protection out film protection.

If you are looking for film xpel ultimate is what you want
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
Richierich32
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d in White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abax335
Are you referring to a chemical protection out film protection.

If you are looking for film xpel ultimate is what you want
Chemical application
      03-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Protecting Your Vehicle

Regardless of what vehicle you drive, it is incredibly important to maintain a healthy layer of protection on your paint. Most all modern vehicles are clear coated. This clear coat does NOT mean your car is protected. The clear coat protects the base coat and provides a glossier finish, however once the clear coat is damaged beyond a certain point, the only way to repair the damaged areas is to repaint them completely. It is much easier and cheaper to properly protect your clear coat than it is to have to deal with repairs and repainting.

There are 3 basic categories of paint protection on the market these days: waxes, sealants, and coatings. I will go into some detail on these below, but I encourage you to please ask me if you have any further questions. All of these products serve the same general purpose - protect your paint - however they are all unique in their properties.

Each product creates a sacrificial barrier on top of your paint to help protect it. This barrier layer means that harmful contaminates such as bug splatter must first eat through the layer of protection before it can start to damage your paint.

Waxes - These are products typically based on natural ingredients such as carnauba wax. Wax provides a very thin, short lived barrier on the surface. A true natural wax will provide protection for an average of 6-8 weeks, and should be applied very regularly to maintain adequate protection. Duration varies greatly depending on your environment, and if you are someone who does not enjoy regularly detailing their vehicle, I would suggest using another type of paint protection.

Examples: Menzerna Color Lock, Chemical Guys Pete's 53, Pinnacle Souveran

Sealants - These products are an evolution of the natural wax. A polymer sealant is a liquid product that is based on synthetic polymers rather than natural waxes. These products work just the same as waxes do in that they provide a thin barrier on top of your paint, however a polymer sealant is considerably more durable with most of them lasting between 4-6 months instead of weeks. Most of these products are very easy to apply either by hand or machine, and are recommended for added durability compared to waxes. Some people claim a wax provides a "warmer glow", so if you wish, you can top a sealant with a wax.

Examples: Blackfire Wet Diamond, Menzerna Power Lock

Coatings - Ceramic Paint Coatings are the latest evolution in paint protection. These coatings provide a layer of protection that is hundreds of times thicker than the average layer of wax. This barrier is also incredibly chemical resistant, and harder than most clear coats when fully cured. These products last for years, not weeks or months, when properly applied and maintained. There is no doubt that a paint coating provides the absolute best protection. There are some downfalls to a coating, too... they are rather expensive, they require a tremendous amount of prep work, and they are not as easy to apply as traditional waxes or sealants. For this reason, it is often recommended to consult a professional detailer to have a paint coating installed unless you're well versed in the cleaning, decontamination, and paint correction processes required before installing a paint coating.

The Benefits of a Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

Examples: CQuartz Finest (professional installation only), Opti Coat (professional installation only), 22ple VX3, Optimum Gloss Coat

Hope that helps!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Little Red Wagon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 Red Wagon 330xi

Thanks for the post. What should I expect to pay for a CQuartz treatment on 330i Wagon?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red Wagon View Post
Thanks for the post. What should I expect to pay for a CQuartz treatment on 330i Wagon?
Thanks.
Cquartz Professional? What is the warranty provided with the application?
Appreciate 0