E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Buttonwillow Report

06-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #23
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

The problem with the Big Track at Willow Springs is the condition of the off road areas. Car's can get airborn if they hit a berm just right, you can also stop immediately in a big ditch in certain areas. And at the higher speeds, things don't always go as you planned when you do something beyond the car's or driver's capabilities. The Streets of Willow is more technically challenging although much slower, but more fun and more real world situational. As horsepower is not as important at the smaller track, driver talent makes the difference at this track.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #24
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
The problem with the Big Track at Willow Springs is the condition of the off road areas. Car's can get airborn if they hit a berm just right, you can also stop immediately in a big ditch in certain areas. And at the higher speeds, things don't always go as you planned when you do something beyond the car's or driver's capabilities. The Streets of Willow is more technically challenging although much slower, but more fun and more real world situational. As horsepower is not as important at the smaller track, driver talent makes the difference at this track.
I agree Streets is alctually more bun. Big track requires more balls. at least the big track has some room to recover instead of hitting a concrete wall at 100 mph (sears point).

I have seen three cars roll over at the BIg track - all of them at turn two!
      06-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #25
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

Streets is probably better for street cars. Speeds are much lower.

I still like Buttonwillow the most. Next would be Streets and then CA Speedway.

CA Speedway is great because of the garages (a big plus). But if you only run the infield section it can get pretty boring. There are no elevation changes and it is totally flat. There is only one challenging corner and it is not that hard. If you run the banking that is fun the first few times through. But after that you find that you are going REALLY fast in a street car right near some big, unyielding, concrete walls.

By far my least favorite is Willow Springs for all of the reasons already mentioned.

I think my next stop is a Skip Barber/Bob Bondurant style racing school. I want to spend some time on a wet skid pad (in somebody else's car). Also perhaps a karting school would be fun!
      06-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #26
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

The big track is where you can improve the most in terms of track time. Most people are not willing to keep their foot in it through turn eight. You can easily reach 140 mph here, but most will back off at 110. Same for turn nine. Comfort factor is 80 to 85 for most but 90 to 95 is doable in our car. Most people also overbrake for turn one and take the wrong line. Turn four also has some interesting lines which waste time, and many screw up turn five. Students often improve many seconds after their first day here if they listen to their instructor. The big track really allows you to test your car's suspension capabilities at their limits.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #27
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e9x's View Post
Yesterday was the Central California Chapter BMW CCA Driver's School at Buttonwillow Raceway. It was really great to see some of you out there enjoying your cars!

First off, the car ran GREAT! The Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tires were amazing!! While a touch noisy under cornering, they stuck like glue and only got greasy toward the end of the session. After 4 30 minute sessions under very aggressive driving they barely look scuffed. No chunking or cupping. The tires were very predictable and very stable.

Secondly I have to comment that yesterday was my inauguration into the "A" group. As many of you know, BMW CCA ranks the drivers based on experience - D Novice to A Advanced.

The speed and driving skill differences between A and B are indescribable. While I was usually one of the fastest in B, I was definitely one of the slowest in A. Those guys are unbelievably good drivers. They also, for the most part, drive highly modified cars. While I am honored to be included in this group, I recognize that I have a lot to learn.

Being in a group like that caused me to really step up my driving. My instructor for the day initially thought that I was not being smooth with my throttle inputs. However during the last session I turned DTC on and the jerkiness went away.

Thirdly there were at least 3 SSTT equipped cars...1 instructor (6MT), 1 A student (6MT) and one very competent C student (6AT). Weather got up to 85 degrees. Not one limp mode or problem. My oil did climb to 300 at one point but the car did not go into limp mode (which occurs at 314 degrees). I suspect the Colgan bra was covering the oil cooler inlet so some further experimentation is indicated.

This first video is me trailing S4to335i on the track. Thanks Steve for holding back so I could follow your line! Note that at one point I gave a point-by to an instructor driving a GT3 in the middle of the corner. That is one of the new things they are trying in BMW CCA...cooperative passing anywhere on the track for the A students. I, for one, did not love it.

This second video is just entertaining because it shows exactly how fast those guys go.

This was my first track event with my new video camera, an RCA Small Wonder. I think the quality is great for a <$80 camera. I am very pleased!!

In all this was a great day. I can't wait to do it all again.

Stay tuned for more videos as the day progresses.
Did you kill the videos..they dont work anymore.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #28
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
You've got PM
      09-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #29
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
I was going to ask the same thing. They are marked "private" now. At least that way you won't get a bunch of video gamer critiques on your lines!
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, can you please post some details about your camera and mounting setup? I have been thinking about purchasing something so I can document and get feedback

Also, are you using the video footage to get your times or do you have a transponder

regards,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #31
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep

I use a Cruise Cam (http://www.cruisecam.com/Mount_new.pdf) to mount the camera to the headrest posts. As for video cameras, I have just switched to a RCA Small Wonder (http://www.mysmallwonder.com/) because it has no moving parts, uses all flash memory and uses normal AA batteries. At <$100 if something happens to it at the track I am not so worried. And besides, the quality is REALLY good!!!

I used the video footage to get times. BMW CCA does not appear to use transponders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
OP, can you please post some details about your camera and mounting setup? I have been thinking about purchasing something so I can document and get feedback

Also, are you using the video footage to get your times or do you have a transponder

regards,
Nick
      09-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #32
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I still cant see the videos on Youtube..Ugh.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #33
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I still cant see the videos on Youtube..Ugh.
Sorry...I made them public again.
      09-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #34
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e9x's View Post
Sorry...I made them public again.

Thanks.