E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Does anyone have the Umnitza P90 FX-R retrofit Headlights?

11-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #199
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
i'm in the same situation, i have a set of brand new Philips from TRS and they cant be used.

screw off the sealing cap, the plastic one with lots of blades running down the side, and you'll see the bulb
Wow! This seems ridiculous. Exactly how are we supposed to replace the bulbs then when one goes out?

And if I'd want to put in a D2S bulb, would I be able to plug the 9006 connector into some sort of D2S adapter harness? And do you think bi-xenon would still be functional?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #200
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
Wow! This seems ridiculous. Exactly how are we supposed to replace the bulbs then when one goes out?

And if I'd want to put in a D2S bulb, would I be able to plug the 9006 connector into some sort of D2S adapter harness? And do you think bi-xenon would still be functional?
like i said, there's no way to replace the bulbs unless you want to cut the wires

as far as i can tell there's no way to disconnect the 9006 bulbs from its connector. thus you wouldn't be able to put in an adapter harness.

the Bi-xenon function utilizes a shield inside the projector, it has nothing to do with the bulbs, put in a halogen bulb there and the bi xenon will still work.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #201
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update 3

ok, to illustrate my story i have several photos here (hopefully the photos are showing...)

this is to show that 9006 size bulbs CAN FIT in the projector and the connector is INTEGRATED with the bulb, so there's NO WAY to remove the bulb with the connector from the rubber sealing cap (which i'll show you later) without CUTTING the wires. it sits in nicely because there are metal clips around the base to hold it in place.

it sits perfectly inside the projector, the metal clip will come down, i just couldn't be bothered to snap them in place.

the D2S bulb in the projector and the integrated 9006 Bulbs w/ connector w/ rubber sealing cap. as you can see one set of red&black wires are from the projectors (linked to the Canbus Ballast), the other set is linked with the bulb and on top of the sealing cap there are FOUR separate holes for each wire to come through. the base of the 9006 bulb CANNOT be unpluged! now hopefully you know what i mean when i said that if i wanted to remove the 9006 bulbs i would have to cut the wires completely.

they seem good quality but i would have preferred D2S bulbs

will post cutoff pattern and beam quality later. and could someone tell me where is the best place to put the ballasts in??? i don't want to drill on my car and use bolts and screws, i have zip ties, double sided tapes waterproof tapes.
Can you tell me... would something like this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARNESS-D2S-...ht_4019wt_1165

I was reading that the Canbus Pro ballasts use universal AMP connectors, so it would make sense that the bulbs could be removed (along with the 9006 harness) and connected from the ballast to something like that D2S adapter harness. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Otherwise, could I get this D2S adapter but splice the wires from it and splice the wires kinda close to the 9006 bulb connector and tap them? That would make sense also, and I could then shorten the wiring a lot to make it fit inside the rubber sealing cap.

From my understanding, when you install a non-D2S bulb into a projector made for D2S bulbs, the focus of the beam pattern is really thrown off, making the output weaker and distribution not as wide as it should be. I'm thinking if we both do this D2S conversion, it should definitely increase the output and improve the beam pattern.

Last edited by Trevendous03; 11-27-2011 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #202
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Can you tell me... would something like this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARNESS-D2S-...ht_4019wt_1165

I was reading that the Canbus Pro ballasts use universal AMP connectors, so it would make sense that the bulbs could be removed (along with the 9006 harness) and connected from the ballast to something like that D2S adapter harness. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Otherwise, could I get this D2S adapter but splice the wires from it and splice the wires kinda close to the 9006 bulb connector and tap them? That would make sense also, and I could then shorten the wiring a lot to make it fit inside the rubber sealing cap.

From my understanding, when you install a non-D2S bulb into a projector made for D2S bulbs, the focus of the beam pattern is really thrown off, making the output weaker and distribution not as wide as it should be. I'm thinking if we both do this D2S conversion, it should definitely increase the output and improve the beam pattern.
i think you didn't realize the the 9006 bulb and its wires are all connected, which means they cant be removed from eachother, if you insist on moving either the bulb or the wire you'll have to cut something.

the D2S adapter you have there is correct according to what umnitza told me. however, in order for u to install it you will first need to remove the 9006 bulb and connector (cant be unplugged), and cut a hole in the rubber sealing cap allowing the single wire D2S connector to pass through, and find someway to reseal it.

have you confirmed that your bulbs are 9006 size as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #203
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i think you didn't realize the the 9006 bulb and its wires are all connected, which means they cant be removed from eachother, if you insist on moving either the bulb or the wire you'll have to cut something.

the D2S adapter you have there is correct according to what umnitza told me. however, in order for u to install it you will first need to remove the 9006 bulb and connector (cant be unplugged), and cut a hole in the rubber sealing cap allowing the single wire D2S connector to pass through, and find someway to reseal it.

have you confirmed that your bulbs are 9006 size as well?
I do see what you mean where the 9006 bulb and connector are all one unit... is the connector from the power to the ballast part of this one unit too? I haven't checked mine yet, but I'm guessing they're the same as the ones Umnitza sent you. I'll have to check when the rain subsides.

If this is the case, couldn't I cut the wires from the 9006 connector and cut the wires from the D2S harness and tap negative to negative and positive to positive and stuff all the extra wiring around the projector assembly and still be able to seal it with the plastic bladed cap?

This seems like the best way of going about things without having to drill through the cap. Question is, will it all fit in there? haha It doesn't matter to me if it's a tight fit (like Umnitza said).

Also, does it even matter if the plastic bladed cap can't fit back on? I know dust and dirt could collect around the projector assembly, but does that even matter? My old retrofit on my Honda Accord didn't have the projector assembly sealed off in the back. It was sealed with a sealant around where the holes were cut in the headlight to fit the projectors, but the projector assembly itself was just out in the open in the engine bay. The headlight itself was therefore sealed off from the elements, but the back of the projector was not.

Let me know what you end up doing... the easy way would be to leave the plastic bladed cap off the headlight and just connect the D2S adapter to the ballast without doing any wire cutting. The best way would be to do the wire cutting and try to fit everything inside that plastic cap around the projector assembly.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #204
wmb0000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 328I

So out of curiosity who have the Umnitza setup with the 9006 instead of D2S? Is that not clearly stated when it was bought from Umnitza?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #205
eckert014
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 323i

I'm curious does the angel eyes have a removable bulb socket in these or is it one solid assembly (the rings) with individual bulbs in the ring ?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #206
eckert014
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 323i

i also dont understand if you paid for the d2s why woudl they put in 9006? did you hve an option when ordering cuz i planned on ordering mine tomoro at around 3 but i think i could settle for 9006 so i would leave wht option on the order screen sry im consued by their website a little
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #207
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb0000 View Post
So out of curiosity who have the Umnitza setup with the 9006 instead of D2S? Is that not clearly stated when it was bought from Umnitza?
I just assumed it was D2S, because that's what I'm used to with retrofit projectors. Nowhere does Umnitza say it will be D2S. That was just my assumption, because that's what most retrofits use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckert014 View Post
I'm curious does the angel eyes have a removable bulb socket in these or is it one solid assembly (the rings) with individual bulbs in the ring ?
It's one solid assembly, but Umnitza has a lifetime warranty on the Orion V2 angel eyes. They're THAT confident in the product. Supposedly they have had a 99.9% success rate with Orion V2, meaning they will never burn out nor fade, and they're supposedly indestructible. Umnitza says they have run over them with a car before, and they didn't break, and they even have a video on YouTube showing the Orion V2 being dipped in water and not going out.

I also read about LEDs... LEDs supposedly have a 25,000 hour life span or more, which means you'll get rid of your E90 before any LED burns out. They also can take constant switching on/off because of the way they're designed. They're not prone to surging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckert014 View Post
i also dont understand if you paid for the d2s why woudl they put in 9006? did you hve an option when ordering cuz i planned on ordering mine tomoro at around 3 but i think i could settle for 9006 so i would leave wht option on the order screen sry im consued by their website a little
Umnitza told me that they use 9006, because it's a better fit in front of the sealing cap. If they use D2S, the D2S connector would not allow the sealing cap to close properly. Umnitza said they modify the 9006 bulb to sit perfectly inside the projector housing so the focal point is where it needs to be.

They're willing to send D2S adapters for free, but then you have to do your own re-wiring, which can get complicated and tricky. Since I already have the headlights on my car, and I'm satisfied with them, I'm not going to do anything that could potentially mess it up. There's not much room for me to do wire splicing, and I don't want to chance anything, so I'm going to leave the 9006. They're still really freaking bright!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #208
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 323I.

hi Trevendous03, today, i got my highlights installed.. no surprise.. the car came up with low beam out park light out sign. and the car on lift as well. and also, the car give me the sound like "ding, ding. ding" almost every 5 secs... drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!
Hope my cable will arrive this week, right now , i need to learn something about how to code the lighting check system off.. can u give me a hand on this? thank you!!!.

Quote:
What year is your car? I did all that coding too, but I still have one error code I cannot figure out. It's the "car on lift" error, and it turns off my passenger low beam for about a minute then turns it back on for the rest of the trip.

I'm guessing that's some kind of warm test, but I can't figure out which warm test it is. I thought I disabled all warm testing and cold testing.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #209
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

update!!

it is night time now.. i find that my low beam need to adjust... right now.. it is shot on the ground!!! i try to adjust it by my self... but it was not working.!!!

so as the second pic show.. the gold thing is to adjust the low beam?? do i right????
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #210
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Simon- I'm curious as how to adjust them as well, I haven't put mine in yet but when I do I want to be able to level them out lol.
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #211
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

but why my angel eye only on when the low beam is on. when i set it to auto or parking the angel would not come on... [QUOTE=Trevendous03;10823646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by milly View Post
Congrats man and you also coded most of the items which I want! Haha could you post a link to which coding cable / tutorial you are using Incase it happens to me when mine arrive?

Thanks a lot for the update!
I bought my coding cable from someone on the forum. They claimed it works for 2006 E90, so I purchased it, and it worked perfectly. Only $45 shipped too. I wish I could be of more help as to which one it is... it looks so generic. Didn't come with a box or manual or anything. [url]http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604322
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #212
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ah i guess i will do it tomorrow . i would let u know when i get it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milly View Post
Simon- I'm curious as how to adjust them as well, I haven't put mine in yet but when I do I want to be able to level them out lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #213
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.bmw View Post
hi Trevendous03, today, i got my highlights installed.. no surprise.. the car came up with low beam out park light out sign. and the car on lift as well. and also, the car give me the sound like "ding, ding. ding" almost every 5 secs... drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!
Hope my cable will arrive this week, right now , i need to learn something about how to code the lighting check system off.. can u give me a hand on this? thank you!!!.
Yeah for sure... I wrote a bunch of stuff to Milly about how to get rid of those errors. You're going to have to code the car for xenon first, then you'll have to do all the bulb checks.

Let me know when you get all the programs installed and when the cable communicates with your car, and I can help guide you from there.

Quote:
update!!

it is night time now.. i find that my low beam need to adjust... right now.. it is shot on the ground!!! i try to adjust it by my self... but it was not working.!!!

so as the second pic show.. the gold thing is to adjust the low beam?? do i right????
Not my image, but here's a pic I found of the back of a DEPO P90 V2. I circled the adjustment arm. There's two adjustment arms. I just circled the one, because the other one is out of focus in the picture. That's what you want to look for though. Did you get the LED turn signal DEPOs (V2) or the non-LED turn signal DEPOs (V1)?

Quote:
but why my angel eye only on when the low beam is on. when i set it to auto or parking the angel would not come on...

I bought my coding cable from someone on the forum. They claimed it works for 2006 E90, so I purchased it, and it worked perfectly. Only $45 shipped too. I wish I could be of more help as to which one it is... it looks so generic. Didn't come with a box or manual or anything. [url]http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604322
Mine looks generic too, but trust me, it'll work with the 2006. Mine was $50.

My AEs come on as the Parking Lamps. Idk why yours wouldn't, but this may be something you can code. Maybe once we get rid of the Parking Lamp bulb checks, they'll work as the Parking Lamps.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #214
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. Trevendous03. it is weird, my AEs dot come on when i switch to parking Lamp.. it only on when i set in auto in dark or set on low beams.. i hope it is by coding.. or maybe i should get a wiring harness for umnitza?

Quote:
Yeah for sure... I wrote a bunch of stuff to Milly about how to get rid of those errors. You're going to have to code the car for xenon first, then you'll have to do all the bulb checks.

Let me know when you get all the programs installed and when the cable communicates with your car, and I can help guide you from there.

Not my image, but here's a pic I found of the back of a DEPO P90 V2. I circled the adjustment arm. There's two adjustment arms. I just circled the one, because the other one is out of focus in the picture. That's what you want to look for though. Did you get the LED turn signal DEPOs (V2) or the non-LED turn signal DEPOs (V1)?

My AEs come on as the Parking Lamps. Idk why yours wouldn't, but this may be something you can code. Maybe once we get rid of the Parking Lamp bulb checks, they'll work as the Parking Lamps.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #215
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

i got the non- led turn signal highlight tho...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #216
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i got the non- led turn signal highlight tho...
They should all have those plastic adjustment arms (philips screwdriver style).

This guy has the ones without the LED turn signals, and the back of his headlight shows those adjustment arms...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404350

Let me know if you don't see those.

Also, Idk why the parking lamps would not light up your AEs. Does anything come on when you switch to parking lamps?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #217
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Thanks for telling us trevendous!

And yeah trevendous you really helped me out! Thanks for taking the time to write the steps.. I'll send you pics tomorrow when their on
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #218
anthonym96
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Trevendous03 did you ever figure out how to get rid of the car on the lift warning sign? my car randomly just started doing it
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #219
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

OOOMMMGGG!!!
Damn!!!!!! today. when i tried to adjust my low beam... my angle eye jump off... what should i do now!!!!!!!!!!!!! im really unhappy with that!!.ToT.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #220
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Uh oh.... Unfortunately the only way I know of is either asking umnitza or.... I know you don't want to hear it but, opening the headlight.

(it's not as hard as it sounds)
Appreciate 0