E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Windshield Replacement

09-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
jim.e.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

Windshield Replacement

Getting my windshield replaced today after a rock the size of a golfball hit me on Mississauga road (between Wanless & Bovaird).

Cost: $385
Company: Dixie Auto Glass
Materials: OEM glass and rain sensor (not sure if they'll just reuse the old one)

Will report back how it turns out. The reason I chose them is they are driving out to my office and it should be done by the time I'm ready to clock out.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Look forward to your findings. Cheapest I've seen with OEM glass was something like $500 or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Good luck with your rear view mirror not falling off in the future and smacking you in the face lol
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Shoooter_j
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335

I've used them in my previous car and the windshield held up just fine. Great value for the $.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
bwco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535i xDrive

Beware of OEM glass, I'd a replacement OEM glass on my M3 previously and it sucks, you can see the imperfection in the curvature while driving. It's a PPG brand.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
jim.e.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

They used Saint-Gobain Sekurit as the glass which is also a BMW OEM grade. I'm very impressed with it and everything is in good condition.

Hopefully the rear-view doesn't fall off.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
silvermist99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT & X5D 6AT

Garage List
2007 BMW 323I  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.e. View Post
They used Saint-Gobain Sekurit as the glass which is also a BMW OEM grade. I'm very impressed with it and everything is in good condition.

Hopefully the rear-view doesn't fall off.
same, I got a sekurit glass = oem quality 2 months ago from speedee gonazalaz for $300 with rain sensor. no distortion so far that I notice. they performed repair at my house
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwco View Post
Beware of OEM glass, I'd a replacement OEM glass on my M3 previously and it sucks, you can see the imperfection in the curvature while driving. It's a PPG brand.
Sorry, you are completely wrong in giving this advice, if the OEM is St Gobain/Sekurit. That is the OE glass for the E90. Albertans go through a windshield every other year. I have used both the St Gobain and BMW OE glass and the two are identical, expcet that the BMW glass has the BMW logo beside the (otherwise excatly the same) St Gobain script at the lower left corner of the glass. BTW windshield relacement with OE in Calgary (including rain sensor) is $1200+GST for my E90. You are getting a good deal - just be sure that they use the correct urethane adhesive, which requires the vehicle to be not driven for at least 12 hours, in order to proerly cure. The fast curing adhesive is not recommended by BMW and has a higher risk of leaks and wind noise because of glass misalignment and/or settling. It is also recommended to use new rubber gaskets (I think you cannot reuse the old ones because of the urethane that sticks to them). HTH.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
bwco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA66400 View Post
Sorry, you are completely wrong in giving this advice, if the OEM is St Gobain/Sekurit. That is the OE glass for the E90. Albertans go through a windshield every other year. I have used both the St Gobain and BMW OE glass and the two are identical, expcet that the BMW glass has the BMW logo beside the (otherwise excatly the same) St Gobain script at the lower left corner of the glass. BTW windshield relacement with OE in Calgary (including rain sensor) is $1200+GST for my E90. You are getting a good deal - just be sure that they use the correct urethane adhesive, which requires the vehicle to be not driven for at least 12 hours, in order to proerly cure. The fast curing adhesive is not recommended by BMW and has a higher risk of leaks and wind noise because of glass misalignment and/or settling. It is also recommended to use new rubber gaskets (I think you cannot reuse the old ones because of the urethane that sticks to them). HTH.
Copied directly off internet. But you realize the difference between OE and OEM right? My experience was a PPG OEM replacement on a E46 M3 Cab and it doesn't meet my expectation. And your talking about Sekruit vs OE BMW.

OE (Original Equipment or Genuine BMW)
These are the parts that you get EXACTLY as if you are walking up to an authorized dealership and buying a part at the parts counter. (Example: Oxygen Sensor BMW Part # 11 78 1 735 499). These parts usually come in BMW marked packaging.

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
OEM parts are parts that come from the same factory that makes your Original BMW parts, but they are boxed in their respective brands. (Example: Oxygen Sensor BOSCH Part #13231, which cross references to: BMW Part # 11 78 1 735 499). These parts are sold directly from the manufacturer to the suppliers or retailers and not through the BMW Dealer network, and usually means savings for the end consumer while still having the same OEM standards that the vehicle manufacturer specified.
Appreciate 0