E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The dreaded TPM module failure message

08-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
gr8googley
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

The dreaded TPM module failure message

I've read lots of threads on this one. Here's the twist with mine: I only get the failure warning if I exceed 70mph.

In what way does this make any sense?

Recall that this message isn't about a wheel sensor, it's about the system module.

Anyone ever encounter this situation?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Yeah just pull the fuse and the plug on the unit. They only get worse with age and if youre checking your tires twice a year it doesn’t matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
gr8googley
Rep

Oh, so you suggest just to kill it and not worry about it? I tend to agree. I don't think it's a very helpful feature.

Will I know if I get a flat, with the runflat tires? Never dealt with them before.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 12:36 AM   #4
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah I’ve done this on both of the e9x vehicles in the family. You can also have it coded out which I did. some people on here mentioned the fuse trick, but I’m not sure that will get rid of the message on your dash.

When they started throwing signs that they needed batteries replaced I just disabled them. A decade on the batteries are about shot so they’ll need replacement and that means pulling a tire, replacing the unit and then remounting tire. Not cheap and not worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

You can disable it via coding and enable RDC instead - which works just fine without the expensive sensors.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
You can disable it via coding and enable RDC instead - which works just fine without the expensive sensors.
Does RDC require ANY TPMS component (such as the Module) to function, or does it only use wheel speed sensors and DSC module?

If the latter, then that would appear to be the cheapest "Fix" for any failed TPMS component failure.

BTW, OP, have you checked your options list or model standard equipment to KNOW that you have TPMS vs RDC. I have trouble understanding why with TPMS you would have a "Tire" warning light on instrument cluster ONLY >70MPH.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

It doesnt need any of it. Just the wheel speed sensors.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I understand the concept, but some module has to compute the wheel speed sensor signals (part of the ABS/DSC) and set the warning light. I presume that is the DSC Module (to which the sensors are wired), and no part of the TPMS system, including its module, is needed?

George
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yes, DSC handles it.
Appreciate 1
tlow982173.00
      08-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
gr8googley
Rep

Yeah, the >70mph thing is baffling to me, as well.

Of course, I mostly don't drive >70, so right now it's not a terribly annoying problem (though it was when I drove the car from Las Vegas to Seattle).

I'm pretty sure it's TPMS. That's what it says on the dash and IIRC the VIN check said so, too. Was it an option in 2011?

I'll look into having it coded out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #11
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Yeah just pull the fuse and the plug on the unit. They only get worse with age and if youre checking your tires twice a year it doesn’t matter.
IF you pull the fuse on the TPM, will the TPMS light be on? My bro's E92 TPMS light is on because of a damaged sensor in one of the wheels.

I also plan on getting new wheels but don't feel like dropping $150 on new sensors. I don't like the TPMS light on my dash, will pulling the fuse stop the dash light
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #12
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8googley View Post
Yeah, the >70mph thing is baffling to me, as well. Of course, I mostly don't drive >70, so right now it's not a terribly annoying problem (though it was when I drove the car from Las Vegas to Seattle). Save $$ & aggravation -- don't go to LV

I'm pretty sure it's TPMS. That's what it says on the dash and IIRC the VIN check said so, too. Was it an option in 2011?
In 2007, TPC (Tire Pressure Control -- TPMS) was an Option: S2VB
It may have become standard in later years; use VIN Decoder to see what Options yours has:
https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/online

You said "this message isn't about a wheel sensor, it's about the system module." Exactly what "message" or warning icons do you have on instrument cluster or warnings on CID? Something that says TPM (or does it say FTM)? Any DSC triangle? Once lit, does it go away? Can you "Reset" the system? Only a tire icon? Any "!" in a yellow triangle that indicates a "Check Control" code has been set. Have you used Check Control procedure (per Owner's Manual) to get a "CC-ID" code? Are all four tires same brand & size, same tread wear & same pressure (cold)?

Don't mean to insult your intelligence, but there are a LOT a variables between the two systems.

Do you have METAL valve stems? Special Valve Caps that say TPMS? Either would differentiate from base FTM (Flat Tire Monitor) that measured differences in rotation rate (flat tire has more rotations per mile or minute than fully-inflated tire.

Anyone with INPA, who knows how to use it, can connect to your car, Tire Pressure Monitor Module and/or DSC Module, and tell you what the fault is. It it is simply a bad pressure sensor in the tire, a tire shop can tell you which wheel is no longer transmitting.

Replacement Sensor is ~ $40 and you don't have to dismount the tire from the rim and then rebalance. Just remove wheel, break the outboard bead ~ 60 degrees each side of the valve stem with a block of wood, like a 12-18" section of 2x4, reach in and unbolt sensor from stem. Air compressor is needed to reseat the bead. Tire shop could do it in 10 minutes.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 11:28 PM   #13
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
IF you pull the fuse on the TPM, will the TPMS light be on? My bro's E92 TPMS light is on because of a damaged sensor in one of the wheels.

I also plan on getting new wheels but don't feel like dropping $150 on new sensors. I don't like the TPMS light on my dash, will pulling the fuse stop the dash light
Not sure it will totally get rid of it. I had it coded out.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #14
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Seriously. Just code it out and enable the wheel-speed based method instead. It works just fine.

Last edited by hassmaschine; 08-19-2018 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 n54

Quote:
Whoa... This is new to me. Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #16
gr8googley
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
In 2007, TPC (Tire Pressure Control -- TPMS) was an Option: S2VB
It may have become standard in later years; use VIN Decoder to see what Options yours has:
https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/online

You said "this message isn't about a wheel sensor, it's about the system module." Exactly what "message" or warning icons do you have on instrument cluster or warnings on CID? Something that says TPM (or does it say FTM)? Any DSC triangle? Once lit, does it go away? Can you "Reset" the system? Only a tire icon? Any "!" in a yellow triangle that indicates a "Check Control" code has been set. Have you used Check Control procedure (per Owner's Manual) to get a "CC-ID" code? Are all four tires same brand & size, same tread wear & same pressure (cold)?

Don't mean to insult your intelligence, but there are a LOT a variables between the two systems.

Do you have METAL valve stems? Special Valve Caps that say TPMS? Either would differentiate from base FTM (Flat Tire Monitor) that measured differences in rotation rate (flat tire has more rotations per mile or minute than fully-inflated tire.

Anyone with INPA, who knows how to use it, can connect to your car, Tire Pressure Monitor Module and/or DSC Module, and tell you what the fault is. It it is simply a bad pressure sensor in the tire, a tire shop can tell you which wheel is no longer transmitting.

Replacement Sensor is ~ $40 and you don't have to dismount the tire from the rim and then rebalance. Just remove wheel, break the outboard bead ~ 60 degrees each side of the valve stem with a block of wood, like a 12-18" section of 2x4, reach in and unbolt sensor from stem. Air compressor is needed to reseat the bead. Tire shop could do it in 10 minutes.

George
I bought the car in Henderson, NV, and drove it back to Seattle. It won't go back to Vegas, at least while I own it.

What I meant by "it's not about a wheel sensor" was that it's not a low-pressure warning.

I don't recall the exact message on the display. A chime sounds and on the nav display something like "Warning: TPMS module inactive" shows at the top. Then the Inactive light comes on in the message screen of the instrument cluster. Then it goes away and the little flat tire/exclamation lamp stays lit on the idiot light part of the cluster. Then it might all go away and come back several times, depending on the length of the trip.

The tires are all to spec and inflated to their recommended pressures. The rear tires are not the same size as the front tires. They're not supposed to be.

Resetting the system doesn't change things. It just comes back again.

The reset display calls it a "TPM" system.

I see in VIN decoder: S2VBA Tire pressure display, or 2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator, depending on the decoder.

The stems are metal. The caps say "Alligator Germany"

I've searched the manual PDF and can't find anything about a check control procedure or CC ID.

So, I've thought the module the warning refers to is the main module. Does the car give the same error if a sensor in a wheel malfunctions? That might make sense. Maybe one's going bad and when the tires heat up on the freeway, the sensor acts up?

Not sure how a tire shop could test this. The system works fine 98% of the time. Unless a code is stored, I don't see how a tire shop scanning the wheels at rest will help. Worth a try, maybe. Maybe just putting nitrogen in the tires would help...

Also, they're runflat tires on 19" wheels. Not sure if that changes how easy it is to replace the sensors.

Last edited by gr8googley; 08-19-2018 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0