Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Spare tire

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #23
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382545 i bought this one. not the cheapest but i buy stupid mods so why can't i spend it on safety and convenience.
Do you happen to know the part number of the spare wheel bag that is shown in that kit - been looking for that...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #24
chenx15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Do you happen to know the part number of the spare wheel bag that is shown in that kit - been looking for that...
not sure. sorry
      11-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #25
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunma View Post
Not very safe if you get rear-ended. Be careful.

Edit...sorry, meant to quote EricP3.
Actually, If I got rear-ended I would be fine. If I rear-ended another car on the other hand, yes my spare could come flying at me. Simple laws of physics. I actually thank you guys for pointing that out because I had not considered that safety risk.

Also, I do not always have my rear seats down with my spare, I was just saying that if I needed to fit golf clubs or skis or other equipment it still fits with the seats down.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
brad bedell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 and S54 Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
I went pump and goop. Works great.
Until you hit largish bolt in the road... I was left stranded. Goop and 3 cans of fix a flat didn't work. I ended up getting an impromptu 8 mile run at 4am that morning to the truck stop and back so I could pick up a tire plug kit.

Now it's goop, pump and tire plugs.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #27
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
$16 and free shipping.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...-SST-TOTE.html
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
I purchased a e46 jack off ebay for 40$ shipped. I carry one of my winter wheels in the trunk during the summer and a summer wheel in the trunk during the winter. This was the cheapest way for me since I did not need an extra wheel for a spare.
A search of the forum led me to this thread. I have a couple of questions.

I have two sets of tires, both RFTs. Summers are 225/35 19 and 255/30 19. Winters are square with 225/45 17s.

I like the run-flats in the city - I've had no problem getting them patched when I get a puncture and it's nice to be able to continue driving to my destination when that happens.

That said, they make me a bit nervous on the highway. If I get a flat there I don't want to have to replace a tire if I have to drive a long distance on it, so I would like to carry one of my winters as a spare on longer trips. Are these tires close enough in rolling circumference that I can do that safely on my xi?

My second question involves securing the tire for highway travel. As there is no well in the trunk for a spare, it would have to be tied down in the trunk. It would also have to be safe in case of a collision - would not want it breaking free and entering the passenger compartment. Anyone have any ideas on how best to secure one so it would be safe under the high G forces presented by a serious accident. I don't want it to represent an additional risk to friends or family should something bad happen.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Appreciate 0