E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Which iPod will work with my BMW?

10-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
surfariver
Rep
Drives: 06 325 xi

Which iPod will work with my BMW?

Well, after 10 years or so, my classic iPod died. It had been just plugged into my car for years and never moved, as I use my phone for my day to day music.

I have a 2006 325xi and after I bought it I brought it in a few years later for the iPod integration. They installed with they called the "MOST iPod Interface" which put a plug in my glove compartment and allowed me to control the iPod through the stereo. I called and they told me it was part # 65110403650.

I want to buy another iPod but I want to make sure its going to work with my car. Clearly, anything with the new Lightning connector is not going to work but I'm wondering if anyone (the dealer had no clue) can tell me what generation and types of ipods (nano, shuffle, traditional, touch) is likely to work with my system. Last thing I want to do is buy one that doesn't work.

Thanks!
Mark
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
diaz92376
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Why not just load all your music on a flash drive and listen to your music that way. I ditched my ipod and do it that way since like you I never took it out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
surfariver
Rep

My car doesn't have a USB port (or I have been incredibly blind for the last 7 years).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
yatzee
Retired TDI guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
i bought a used gen 5 ipod classic to run with my recently installed factory kit. It works well
      10-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
surfariver
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
mrhappi79
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatzee View Post
i bought a used gen 5 ipod classic to run with my recently installed factory kit. It works well
Just so you're aware there are some issues with some iPod classics. A common one, that I'm experiencing also, is that when using the Y-cable the connection cuts off after a few seconds or minutes.

I connect the Y-cable and the iPod is recognized on the head unit. I then proceed to select the playlist, song, etc. The iPod shows that it's connected as well. During the first song everything will stop and the head unit only displays the song name but no sound or response when I press the buttons.

I have read on these forums that the causes of this are most likely the number of songs that are contained on the iPod classic. Because most are upwards of 80 gigs or more, then that might be causing an overload of sorts. The lower capacity ones usually work without a problem such as nanos and iPod touches.

A quick search on these boards will give you a better idea of what does and doesn't work. I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
yatzee
Retired TDI guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I'm actually not using the y-cable as I had to have the ipod kit retrofitted by BMW. The module is behind the glove box and the cable for the ipod comes out into the glove box. Up to now, my only issue is how the shuffle or random setting works or doesn't work. I know i'm splitting hairs, but I don't expect 3 songs in a row from the same artist.

But I'm using a 30 gig, not an 80... If i get up to 80 at some point in the future, i'll make a post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhappi79 View Post
Just so you're aware there are some issues with some iPod classics. A common one, that I'm experiencing also, is that when using the Y-cable the connection cuts off after a few seconds or minutes.

I connect the Y-cable and the iPod is recognized on the head unit. I then proceed to select the playlist, song, etc. The iPod shows that it's connected as well. During the first song everything will stop and the head unit only displays the song name but no sound or response when I press the buttons.

I have read on these forums that the causes of this are most likely the number of songs that are contained on the iPod classic. Because most are upwards of 80 gigs or more, then that might be causing an overload of sorts. The lower capacity ones usually work without a problem such as nanos and iPod touches.

A quick search on these boards will give you a better idea of what does and doesn't work. I hope this helps.
      10-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
genebike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Have you thought about the Tune2Air Bluetooth module? There's a thread about it here somewhere. I just got it and love it. If you have a Bluetooth phone that does A2DP(audio streaming) you may really like it.

If not this, I would go with the other suggestions to buy an old iPod. There have to be, literally, millions of them around for cheap.
Appreciate 0