E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Removing Broken Belt Tensioner

08-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i e92 msport

Removing Broken Belt Tensioner

Hi folks, I'm in a little bit of a bind. I was replacing the belt on my 335, and the T60 thread on the tensioner pulley stripped out, so I can't compress the spring any more. I went ahead and bought a new tensioner pulley setup and was just going to replace the whole assembly, but when I went to remove the old one, I realized that the little tab that stops the spring from completely uncoiling (circled on the picture below) has literally sheared off.

At this point I'm completely stumped.... I can't compress the thing the normal way to get it into the service position, and I can't take the whole thing off without risking the spring fully uncorking and doing some real damage. I have the fan off, but I still don't really have enough room to get any sort of pry bar in there to try and compress it the old school way.

Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Just take it off carefully. I busted off the T60 fitting trying to loosen it the wrong direction. Ended up just unbolting the tensioner at full tension slowly and nothing flew off.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Just take it off carefully. I busted off the T60 fitting trying to loosen it the wrong direction. Ended up just unbolting the tensioner at full tension slowly and nothing flew off.
Hi folks, wanted to give an update here in case anyone else winds up in this same scenario. After trying everything, I was completely stuck and resigned myself to the fact that my only option was unbolting the whole tensioner assembly and letting the spring go and do whatever it was going to do. I was able to take a crowbar and compress the spring enough to stick a screwdriver in the little service position hole and catch against the block, preventing it from completely uncoiling.

I then un-bolted pretty much everything that I could: The pulley right next to it, the oil lines going from the cooler to the filter housing, and the coolant line going to the filter housing. After getting all of that off, I wedged my crowbar back in there and tried to let the tension off as carefully as I could. It went about 1" further than it had been and completely fell apart harmlessly. Crisis averted... no major damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Thanks for the update. Does anyone know which way you turn the wrench to relieve tension ? If you are looking from the fron is it towards the driver or passenger ?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullcitybmmer View Post
Hi folks, wanted to give an update here in case anyone else winds up in this same scenario. After trying everything, I was completely stuck and resigned myself to the fact that my only option was unbolting the whole tensioner assembly and letting the spring go and do whatever it was going to do. I was able to take a crowbar and compress the spring enough to stick a screwdriver in the little service position hole and catch against the block, preventing it from completely uncoiling.

I then un-bolted pretty much everything that I could: The pulley right next to it, the oil lines going from the cooler to the filter housing, and the coolant line going to the filter housing. After getting all of that off, I wedged my crowbar back in there and tried to let the tension off as carefully as I could. It went about 1" further than it had been and completely fell apart harmlessly. Crisis averted... no major damage.
Great idea. Good to know that a pry bar can compress it in the event of a total failure.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Thanks for the update. Does anyone know which way you turn the wrench to relieve tension ? If you are looking from the fron is it towards the driver or passenger ?
Clockwise. So generally, looking from the front, with the wrench handle sticking up in the air, it would move towards the driver's side.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      08-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

I took the easy road ( I think you guys were trying to over think this).

The torx female notch in the tab piece for relieving pressure on the belt stripped in my case. I tried all kinds of tools and levers but couldn’t ease the pressure on the belt.

Solution: cut the belt.

I figured, what the hell, I’ve got a new belt and a new tensioner to put back.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      08-15-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post

The torx female notch in the tab piece for relieving pressure on the belt stripped in my case. I tried all kinds of tools and levers but couldn’t ease the pressure on the belt.

hahahahah thats amazing so true.. you must be an artist because that is one creative mind...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #9
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post

That's a valid solution if the belt had not already been removed, and the tab preventing the tensioner spring from completely uncoiling had not broken off, lodging it against the pulley beside it.

Hence, the "over thinking this".
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #10
Aldor27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Random O Ring

Me being the idiot I am snapped part of the tensioner by trying to "loosen" the tension counter clock wise. I am about to put in the new tensioner but theres a random tiny O Ring that came with the tensioner kit. Where do I put this tiny O Ring?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #11
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldor27 View Post
Me being the idiot I am snapped part of the tensioner by trying to "loosen" the tension counter clock wise. I am about to put in the new tensioner but theres a random tiny O Ring that came with the tensioner kit. Where do I put this tiny O Ring?
Between the engine and tensioner on the bolt. It helps hold the bolt in place so they don't fall apart while installing.
Appreciate 0