E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Apologetically redundant muffler question...

05-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
mattsten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90

Apologetically redundant muffler question...

Guys,
I am sorry.....I know this has been beaten to death. But searching has led me to believe that the two quietest replacement mufflers that will give a bit more sound for an e90 is either the top speed or remus. It seems as though the remus is almost so close to stock in sound it is not worth it. What I am really looking for is something that I can still carry a client around in the car and they would not necessarily know I had a louder exhaust....just that the car sounded good. So is the top speed too loud for a situation like that? I would much rather pay the top speed price than the remus price, but I don't want to waste my money to decide it is too loud. Do the adjustable valves work in the tips?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Patsfan123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

I have some videos I took of my Top Speed vs. Stock. I didn't touch the resonator when I changed to the Top Speed muffler. I am not a good videographer so be warned that the Top Speed video may be artificially louder because I put the camera closer to the car. The videos were taken months apart. Hope this helps

Stock:

Top Speed:

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

I have the top speed and absolutely love it. It is not that loud, but is noticeable to the person who knows what he is doing. If you want to take a client in it... no problem. It does not drone with the windows up and with the windows down it sounds great. not loud or raspy, just a little deeper. when you rev up to about 3rpms and the back off it, it bubbles a little bit. its perfect. when you stand on it, you can really hear it, but its still not too loud, its louder if you are behind it (which yall obviously wouldn't be).

it takes a while to break it in, I am still in the process of it, but you shouldnt worry about clients in it. It sounds good.

you should buy it. You will not regret it. 300 bucks plus around 90 for install.
      05-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
mattsten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlew View Post
I have the top speed and absolutely love it. It is not that loud, but is noticeable to the person who knows what he is doing. If you want to take a client in it... no problem. It does not drone with the windows up and with the windows down it sounds great. not loud or raspy, just a little deeper. when you rev up to about 3rpms and the back off it, it bubbles a little bit. its perfect. when you stand on it, you can really hear it, but its still not too loud, its louder if you are behind it (which yall obviously wouldn't be).

it takes a while to break it in, I am still in the process of it, but you shouldnt worry about clients in it. It sounds good.

you should buy it. You will not regret it. 300 bucks plus around 90 for install.
Yeah that is what I was hoping to hear! Have you messed with the valves any? Do they make any difference on sound?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Patsfan123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

The valves seemed really gimmicky to me so I had my installer cut them off and weld the holes shut. I also didn't want any restriction from them. Its a nice deep tone that would go unnoticed to the untrained ear.
Appreciate 0