E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Headers+tune+o2 related questions

09-01-2018, 03:33 AM   #1
Wally_84
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Headers+tune+o2 related questions

Are those of you that use custom headers+BPC/AA Tune still use o2 spacers?

I've first installed headers with o2's on a spacer’s to avoid CEL and month later I've added BPC tune. I have never removed those spacers since.

Now I have found out that I got random 2C7F code once in a while (3 times already in 2 months time) but after the tune it triggers no CEL so it's hard to tell how quickly 2c7f comes back.

Is my o2 sensor still works after the tune?, is it going bad and makes my car running lean? or can those spacers be a factor?
      09-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Take the spacers out - you don't need them. Then go from there.
      09-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

You just put spacers on the post-cat sensors, not on the pre-cat sensors, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
Wally_84
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post
You just put spacers on the post-cat sensors, not on the pre-cat sensors, right?

Yes, both o2 sensors post cat have spacers. Why would I even want to use them pre cat?

Ok, then I will remove them.
But do you know if they still work after the headers+tune?

Last edited by Wally_84; 09-12-2018 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
R.Thillman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

What brand spacers did you use I need some for my headers thanks in advanced!

As far as your problem goes you should remove them because you probably got an off the shelf tune therefore not optimum with spacers. If you got a custom tune NVM then. Having no cats will always make o2 sensors go out quiker but none the less your dme probably wouldn't let your engine run lean in closed loop. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 02:32 AM   #6
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

I've ran headers for some time now. Both cat-less and HFC headers on several cars. To my understanding with cat-less headers the idea of a spacer is to avoid O2 sensor fault codes. If you have a header tune then remove the spacer, having both I think is over kill. HFC headers are design to not throw codes maintaining o2 locations with better flow.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #7
l3ricktop
Rep
Drives: E90 330i (N52B30)

headers o2 sensor position

Hello together,
ive bought a set of Schmiedmann headers recently and im worried about one thing - the position of primary O2 sensor on bank 2 seems to be not ok, as the O2 sensor is placed in the middle tube right before the tubes are connected to the collection piping (see picture please).

My question is - do you think it will work properly? I mean if the O2 sensor will give correct information about fuel combustion from only one pot...

The Supersprint headers has got both holes (prim & sec O2) right down in collection piping.

It is possible to change the position of the sensors (that is the way im about to go):
Like i will take the primary O2 on bank 2 and plug in it to the hole for secondary O2 in the collection piping where is conjunction of all 3 pipes to ensure the 02 will have correct values from all 3 cylinders connected to the bank 2 header.
The secondary O2 will be plugged in the hole for primary as i will use O2 spacers to bypass it anyway (it will be just a cork).

Got no ECU mod.

When i had a look on 'ebay headers' those has got both wholes for primary O2 right at the top of middle pipe on each bank - how such a thing can work properly?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ricktop View Post
Hello together,
ive bought a set of Schmiedmann headers recently and im worried about one thing - the position of primary O2 sensor on bank 2 seems to be not ok, as the O2 sensor is placed in the middle tube right before the tubes are connected to the collection piping (see picture please).

My question is - do you think it will work properly? I mean if the O2 sensor will give correct information about fuel combustion from only one pot...

The Supersprint headers has got both holes (prim & sec O2) right down in collection piping.

It is possible to change the position of the sensors (that is the way im about to go):
Like i will take the primary O2 on bank 2 and plug in it to the hole for secondary O2 in the collection piping where is conjunction of all 3 pipes to ensure the 02 will have correct values from all 3 cylinders connected to the bank 2 header.
The secondary O2 will be plugged in the hole for primary as i will use O2 spacers to bypass it anyway (it will be just a cork).

Got no ECU mod.

When i had a look on 'ebay headers' those has got both wholes for primary O2 right at the top of middle pipe on each bank - how such a thing can work properly?
I'm not sure anyone know for sure unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
I don't think the sensor would be doing it's job as well, considering it can only "smell" one cyl. there, but assuming that everything is ok with the motor, the sensor won't know the difference, so I'd think the car would run ok. So the real problem is... if one of the other cyl. has an issue regarding fuel mixture, you wouldn't know.