E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 LCI M3 Style Bumper OIL COOLER DUCT

06-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

E90 LCI M3 Style Bumper OIL COOLER DUCT

Hi, I have 09 LCI 335D, im in Canada and shipping of Large body panels is sucks!!! So i did my research and find few people vouch for EXTREMEPARTS.ca - CLICK HERE TO VIEW BUMPER

now, i receive the bumper, fitment is actually pretty good, did all the dremmeling and trimming of both brake air ducts BUT, the factory oil cooler duct is just in the wrong place!!! I mean i can:

#1 Cut it to the point where PASS fog will fit but duct will not grab much air from the bumper opening to pass through oil cooler,

#2 Drive without fog light on one side but still have to trim oil cooler AIR DUCT quite a bit or,

#3 IS anyone ever put an m3 oil cooler (trans cooler on m3) duct cover on M3 Style (replica) bumper in E90 ???
All threads that ive bumped into in the last few weeks were all for E92/3 and im afraid those are a bit different in design of oil cooler duct!

EDIT: POSSIBLE #4 Solution
#4 Use MTech bumper air ducts as guy was thinking to do in this thread - Air outlet covers and air ducts for coolers in 335is

****EDIT: Starting from this guys ^ thread, i found 3 similar air ducts that might work or need to be tested in E90, all of them will be needing some sort of trimming in order to fit with fog and/or brake air duct

51748046620 - ?
51748050584 - M Tech (335IS) ***Most logical option to keep brake vent
51747900824 - M3

Now, just talked with ECS rep (Matt F) few minutes ago and he was giving me an attitude and just stop communication because apparently their bumper (LCI M3 replica) fits with no modifications! I KNOW it is not true because of how factory LCI oil cooler duct set up it will be useless and will 100% not fit on any kinda of M3 replica bumper! I am a mechanic and installed this bumper few times to make sure it is clear of everything before dropping it off for paint!

IF anyone know a link of a build thread, E90 LCI M3 style bumper information regarding OIL COOLER AIR DUCT or simply a place and part number to order for a reasonable price please post it here im in DESPERATE NEED of one!

PS:
ECS says that OEM M3 oil cooler duct is the same for E90, E92 and E93 - CLICK ME

ECS also sells way cheaper air duct KIT for both side of M3 replica bumper only for E92/E93 - ??? - CLICK ME

Basically their information is conflicting with each other but if you look closely, they have very clear pictures both of those oil cooler air ducts and they are different!

PLEASE HELP PEOPLE

EDIT: I decided to indicate few thread where people touching up on this issue a little!

E92 with OEM M3 duct - DIY- ******** e92 M3 front bumper replica

RHD E92 with lots of pics - DIY Install M3 ducts on 335i (Im not sure why but this person cut his Oil cooler side of a duct out, not sure if he screwed up or RHD has a diff placement of oil cooler, if it was me i would bolted it to the oil cooler and cut the inlet of the duct for bumper to clear... BUT i need to know if E90 is even close to this!)

Another RHD E92, post 63, this guy did exactly the same thing as person above - Elmo's E92 335i

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 01-02-2019 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
khalig0ff
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i LCI

Garage List
so what did you do? looking to grab same bumper, need to know a solution for it
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Still under construction, no feedback from any of the guys on here!(((

...did a close (picture) comparison between M3 and M3 style bumper looks like they are very close in the opening height, so im thinking to get a M3 oil cooler duct...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
Wifeys335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335

I just purchased a m3 rep bumper without fog lights on eBay. It arrives Thursday and I believe it comes with cheap step ducts. I'm going to trim off the step and hopefully it will be a large opening.

I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #5
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifeys335i View Post
I just purchased a m3 rep bumper without fog lights on eBay. It arrives Thursday and I believe it comes with cheap step ducts. I'm going to trim off the step and hopefully it will be a large opening.

I'll keep you posted.
What model (E90/E92)? By your profile im assuming its E90, is it LCI or pre LCI?
Do you have oil cooler? TRANSMISSION oil cooler!
Yah, let us know! And possibly make a picture before you start trimming it to fit!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
Wifeys335i
Private First Class
Rep

09 e90 n54. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

LOL, make pictures of the DUCT's before and after trimming to see how much aftermarket is comparable to the M3 Cooler duct!
Good looking car tho and nice Stoptech?) I think it needs a black grill or is there one on it and it is just light reflection on the picture!?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #8
Wifeys335i
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. I have stoptech st60/40 setup. In addition to the bumper I ordered BMW performance black grille. Ordering for "her" 8th birthday. I thought about m3 side skirts, but couldn't find good aftermarket ones that fit.

Here are more photos when I had bbs LM-R. Loved those rims, but the 513's show off the brakes better. Next mod will be inlets, stage 2 fuel pump, and recaro sportster.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
Wifeys335i
Private First Class
Rep

Looking good. My oem grille fits perfect!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #10
Wifeys335i
Private First Class
Rep

More photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Dude, thanks for all the pics but the pass side one is designed to flow to brakes and not to OIL COOLER (Trans cooler)!!! (((
Are u doing install yourself? If u do snap few of how it sits before bumper is on!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #12
Wifeys335i
Private First Class
Rep

You are correct. I got a call from my shop and they said the ducts won't work. I have gone ahead and ordered OEM M3 ducts for them to install (both sides). I did speak with the guy doing the work and he said the bumper lines up very nice, but the ducts are CRAP.

The OEM ducts are being delivered on Monday, so I should have my car back by mid next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #13
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Quote:
You are correct. I got a call from my shop and they said the ducts won't work. I have gone ahead and ordered OEM M3 ducts for them to install (both sides). I did speak with the guy doing the work and he said the bumper lines up very nice, but the ducts are CRAP.

The OEM ducts are being delivered on Monday, so I should have my car back by mid next week.
Hey, i am just wrapping up a single turbo build and encountered the exact same problem you did. I have a 2007 335xi with the factory oil cooler and an aftermarket m3 bumper. Fog light plugs up the scoop hole which was fine when it was stock but not now. I bought the car that way and this wasnt on the radar at the time.

What was your final solution to keep both brake and oil cooler scoops and the foglight?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 11:42 PM   #14
FrankiE90jl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 328i RWD

Quote:

Wondering where did you buy the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #15
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Late to the this conversation. I bought M3 rep bumper from Aeroplug. I have a 2011 E90 Msport. Yes, people flip out when they hear I converted an factory msport front to M3 rep. My msport front bumper would need lots of work to put it back into tip top condition. Super scraped up on the bottom. I have slightly raised the ride height now where driveway no longer scrapes. I digress.

I bought OE M3 air ducts. I will not be going with fog lights. I followed a thread from a guy on here from Australia. I cut the rear edge of the ducts to flow out to the large area of the passenger side oil cooler. I had to cut the driver's side one to align with the smaller hole that flows to the driver side brakes. It is not perfect but functional flow exists. The front part of the ducts fits the M3 rep bumper PERFECTLY. I glued it on and also used strong tape around outer edge of duct/bumper interface. Its inside that cavity where no one sees it. I'm happy with the outcome. I did hate having to pay a high price for the M3 ducts and then have to hack them. Here is a picture of my finished product.

I did have to remove the msport adapter on the belly pan. I did have to do some custom things on the bottom to get the bumper properly interfaced to the fronts of the wheel well liners (the lower front flat part).

One last thing. I painted the lower center grill gloss black. But before I did, I experimented on the msport's lower central grill with same gloss black. I used regular rustoleum brand and put about 3 coats on it. Its held up fine. The grill is sort of a faded gray as molded plastic and it looked like it would match the kidneys better if i went to black gloss. The msport experiment worked out so I went forward with the M3 lower grill painting as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by BB_cuda; 06-02-2021 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 04:03 PM   #16
DadsMoneyPit
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E90 sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Smile This is the hero I needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Late to the this conversation. I bought M3 rep bumper from Aeroplug. I have a 2011 E90 Msport. Yes, people flip out when they hear I converted an factory msport front to M3 rep. My msport front bumper would need lots of work to put it back into tip top condition. Super scraped up on the bottom. I have slightly raised the ride height now where driveway no longer scrapes. I digress.

I bought OE M3 air ducts. I will not be going with fog lights. I followed a thread from a guy on here from Australia. I cut the rear edge of the ducts to flow out to the large area of the passenger side oil cooler. I had to cut the driver's side one to align with the smaller hole that flows to the driver side brakes. It is not perfect but functional flow exists. The front part of the ducts fits the M3 rep bumper PERFECTLY. I glued it on and also used strong tape around outer edge of duct/bumper interface. Its inside that cavity where no one sees it. I'm happy with the outcome. I did hate having to pay a high price for the M3 ducts and then have to hack them. Here is a picture of my finished product.

I did have to remove the msport adapter on the belly pan. I did have to do some custom things on the bottom to get the bumper properly interfaced to the fronts of the wheel well liners (the lower front flat part).

One last thing. I painted the lower center grill gloss black. But before I did, I experimented on the msport's lower central grill with same gloss black. I used regular rustoleum brand and put about 3 coats on it. Its held up fine. The grill is sort of a faded gray as molded plastic and it looked like it would match the kidneys better if i went to black gloss. The msport experiment worked out so I went forward with the M3 lower grill painting as well.
THANK YOU for sharing your experience and advice! I originally went with fog lights in the m3 rep bumper but w/o the oil cooler air duct my oil temps shot up 20-30 deg F!? So I'll be removing the fogs and following your process for modding/installing the M3 ducts. Thanks again.