E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Warranty on TurboChargers

08-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #23
arthurg
Private
Rep
Drives: silver 335i

I have the same issue and I called everybody and anybody.

First off my car is from the states so it should be covered under the 8 year/82000 mile extended warranty.

No canadian BMW dealership will fix your rattle, the extended warranty does not even show up the their system.

So I figure Ill call BMW Bufallo, let me tell you, it doesnt look too promising either

If somebody is successful in doing this, please let me know
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
dieselgg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Ok so here is an update... Called BMWNA this morning to ask if they would honor the extended coverage in Canada and they very quickly told me I had to call BMW Canada (which I knew would happen so its no surprise).

So I then proceeded to call BMW Canada where they answered and I managed to get the most ignorant woman. I started very nicely asking her about the extended warranty that BMWNA had extended for our 335's and would that also be covered in Canada. She cut me off halfway through speaking and barked how the only was it would be covered or replaced was if I received a letter from BMW stating they would honor the warrenty for my wastegates because each 'recall is specific to each VIN'. Which is complete bullshit because BMWNA offered a blanket extended warranty for any 335 made in 2007 or newer. I went on to explain it was a little rediculous because other than the instrument cluster and DRL the Canadian and US cars were identical and it should be covered as well in Canada. She then rudely went on how I wasn't listening to what she was saying which is where I started to get a little upset. I pressed her a little more, did not swear or yell at any time but I did press her for an answer and she actually hung up on me.

Great way to keep customers.
Read post #155, for the U.S., your VIN has to be covered under the extended wastegate warranty. So there was some truth to what the BMW Canada rep told you over the phone. It looks like there is no blanket warranty that applies to all models with the turbos.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=729833&page=8
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #25
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Ok so here is an update... Called BMWNA this morning to ask if they would honor the extended coverage in Canada and they very quickly told me I had to call BMW Canada (which I knew would happen so its no surprise).

So I then proceeded to call BMW Canada where they answered and I managed to get the most ignorant woman. I started very nicely asking her about the extended warranty that BMWNA had extended for our 335's and would that also be covered in Canada. She cut me off halfway through speaking and barked how the only was it would be covered or replaced was if I received a letter from BMW stating they would honor the warrenty for my wastegates because each 'recall is specific to each VIN'. Which is complete bullshit because BMWNA offered a blanket extended warranty for any 335 made in 2007 or newer. I went on to explain it was a little rediculous because other than the instrument cluster and DRL the Canadian and US cars were identical and it should be covered as well in Canada. She then rudely went on how I wasn't listening to what she was saying which is where I started to get a little upset. I pressed her a little more, did not swear or yell at any time but I did press her for an answer and she actually hung up on me.

Great way to keep customers.
Wow. Someone had her tampon inserted the wrong way....

Did you get her name/ID? Call back and ask for her manager.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Just spoke to Jody @ BMW Canada who's confirmed that the U.S. warranty hasn't been brought over. The only thing they can do is speak to their regional management team for possible "assistance" for out of warranty customers.

I was told to get the car diagnosed and then call them again and to go from there. Anyone had any type of experience in doing something like this?

Ivo confirmed that my rear WG/actuator rod is ceased. I also have ridiculous rattle and boost leaks. That shouldn't be the "norm" for an $80k luxury vehicle.

Please call in and discuss your issues. Maybe if they get enough complaints they'll do something about it! One can hope lol...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
liang
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I'm going to call BMW Canada tomorrow. I've never call them before, so what department should I speak with?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #28
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liang
I'm going to call BMW Canada tomorrow. I've never call them before, so what department should I speak with?
Just press 0 and speak to any rep and explain the problem. Mention the US stuff too and how your problem is similar to many other customers here in Canada.

I hope they open their eyes. I need WG replaced!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #29
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mandy View Post
Wow. Someone had her tampon inserted the wrong way....

Did you get her name/ID? Call back and ask for her manager.
Ya to be honest she did mention her name and ID as soon as the call was answered but to be honest by the time I got hung up on I didn't remember either her name nor her ID.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #30
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselgg View Post
Read post #155, for the U.S., your VIN has to be covered under the extended wastegate warranty. So there was some truth to what the BMW Canada rep told you over the phone. It looks like there is no blanket warranty that applies to all models with the turbos.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=729833&page=8
No No I understand what your saying but this woman was trying to get me to buy the $500 recall letter. She was saying that I needed to buy that from BMW since 'is impossible for BMW to get a report on the car without the recall letter.'

Gimme a break, all BMW needs is the last 6 numbers of my VIN to run but they give you the run-around and try to get you to spend money. I told her I wasn't going to spend the $500 for a recall letter so they could then tell me they would not cover it.

I'm sorry, but some people might bend over the table and take whatever BMW tells them as truth but I am not one of those people. BMW is in the business of making money first, customer service comes second just like every other company in the world.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #31
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
BMWNA - 1800-831-1117

I just called them ripping them a new ass for their 'Recall letter' haha Let us know what they say about this turbo extended warranty. I am gonna call tomorrow on that issue as well.
And how did that go? I guess we all have extended turbo warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #32
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

i also have the same problem and talked to two dealership who said that the waste gate rattle problem is US problem not canadian. yet again same cars but across the border accept there is a problem but here bmw is quiet.
both dealership confirmed the car has waste gate rattle problem.

here is the waste gate rattle extended warranty.
in my opinion this problem exist around and we need to get together and create a case with bmw canada.

i have contacted bmw canada via email (which is the best way for tracking responses) and they just confirmed my car is out of warranty and tried to sell me extended warranty, avoiding the issue with the waste gate rattle completely.

anyone capable of creating a case with BMW Canada? we can start collecting signatures here.
Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf EXTENDEDWASTEGATEWARRANTY.pdf (44.5 KB, 399 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #33
MarkD
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 74 tii, 93 M5 x2, 07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadarci View Post
i also have the same problem and talked to two dealership who said that the waste gate rattle problem is US problem not canadian. yet again same cars but across the border accept there is a problem but here bmw is quiet.
both dealership confirmed the car has waste gate rattle problem.

here is the waste gate rattle extended warranty.
in my opinion this problem exist around and we need to get together and create a case with bmw canada.

i have contacted bmw canada via email (which is the best way for tracking responses) and they just confirmed my car is out of warranty and tried to sell me extended warranty, avoiding the issue with the waste gate rattle completely.

anyone capable of creating a case with BMW Canada? we can start collecting signatures here.
Thank you.
You guys need to start a class action lawsuit to get the ball rolling. The good thing is that a class action is like a "group buy" since you will all pay the lawyer a retainer to start the class action.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
CanadianM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW e92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [9.00]
I went to the BMW Store here in Vancouver, BC complaining about the turbo wastegate rattle and manage to get the shop foreman to test the car. He agreed that there was an issue.

I then showed him the service bulletin, and to make a long story short, he called someone from the warranty department (I am not sure if it was BMW Canada) to see if the turbo replacement can be done for free. He hasn't been given a definite answer yet so he said he will get the SA to give me a call when he gets an answer. I'm crossing my fingers I get good news but I probably won't
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #35
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
You guys need to start a class action lawsuit to get the ball rolling. The good thing is that a class action is like a "group buy" since you will all pay the lawyer a retainer to start the class action.
LOL, e90posts biggest hater, gotta love all your posts.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #36
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I have some contacts who do liability law and corporate law. I will be reaching out to them in the next few days to see what can be done. The simple fact that US got this and not us, but Canadian vehicles being the same is ridiculous. I feel duped.

Anyways, if anyone else knows anyone id be into doing a class action as this may be the only way.
I will follow-up with responses.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #37
CanadianM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cithaeron View Post
I went to the BMW Store here in Vancouver, BC complaining about the turbo wastegate rattle and manage to get the shop foreman to test the car. He agreed that there was an issue.

I then showed him the service bulletin, and to make a long story short, he called someone from the warranty department (I am not sure if it was BMW Canada) to see if the turbo replacement can be done for free. He hasn't been given a definite answer yet so he said he will get the SA to give me a call when he gets an answer. I'm crossing my fingers I get good news but I probably won't
UPDATE

As expected the SA called and told me that there is no extended warranty for the turbo chargers. However, he said that we should look into my own extended warranty coverage. In Vancouver, if you have the Sovereign Mechanical Breakdown Warranty for used vehicles, and it is a certified wrap coverage, then you are pretty much covered and you just have to pay the deductible. If you do not have that, which I don't, you may be out of luck.

In any event, the SA from the BMW Store asked me to come down with my extended warranty policy and see if there are any loop holes. Since my warranty does not explicitly say that turbo chargers are not covered; however, it also does not explicitly say that the turbo chargers are covered.

Anyway, the story continues, but I pretty sure I'm SOL

Oh, and for info, my 335i has about 125k clicks on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #38
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cithaeron
Quote:
Originally Posted by cithaeron View Post

UPDATE

As expected the SA called and told me that there is no extended warranty for the turbo chargers. However, he said that we should look into my own extended warranty coverage. In Vancouver, if you have the Sovereign Mechanical Breakdown Warranty for used vehicles, and it is a certified wrap coverage, then you are pretty much covered and you just have to pay the deductible. If you do not have that, which I don't, you may be out of luck.

In any event, the SA from the BMW Store asked me to come down with my extended warranty policy and see if there are any loop holes. Since my warranty does not explicitly say that turbo chargers are not covered; however, it also does not explicitly say that the turbo chargers are covered.

Anyway, the story continues, but I pretty sure I'm SOL

Oh, and for info, my 335i has about 125k clicks on it.
No extended warranty on turbochargers? Is that because you are over in km?

I swear the extended was also brought over for the turbochargers in Canada. Just not the WG.

In any case, let's be smart and make this an emissions issue. I'm sure the Canadian government would love to hear that BMW is "ignoring" their duties as making properly built emission safe vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #39
CanadianM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
No extended warranty on turbochargers? Is that because you are over in km?

I swear the extended was also brought over for the turbochargers in Canada. Just not the WG.

In any case, let's be smart and make this an emissions issue. I'm sure the Canadian government would love to hear that BMW is "ignoring" their duties as making properly built emission safe vehicles.
Unless they extend the factory warranty or a recall the turbo chargers then I'm SOL. I'm over the km for my factory warranty (and besides only 4 years only anyway), and this is my policy:

http://securedrive.ca/wp-content/upl...1R3-0E-WEB.pdf

Nothing in the policy states that turbo chargers are not included but also it does not say that it is included. Also, I have unlimited km coverage up to 24 months. In any event, I will meet up with my SA tomorrow to see what can be done from my personal warranty perspective.

As for pursuing legal action, let me know what I can do to help with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #40
CanadianM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [9.00]
I contacted BMW Canada and asked if a similar SB that the US received regarding the turbochargers will be issued in Canada, and they said they do not know (of course). The best they could do is contact me if there is a recall on the vehicle.

In short, BMW Canada won't be able to help you with anything. I believe only public pressure will make them do something.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #41
CanadianM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [9.00]
I have lodged a complaint to Transport Canada regarding the issue in their Defective Investigations. The link is:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...s-index-76.htm

Maybe the government can help so I encourage anyone who has the N54 turbochargers to lodge a complaint as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #42
lawface
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabriolet

Canadian N54 Class Action Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by whip_lash View Post
Looks like it only applies to the US 50 states. This is such BS it should be for all of NA. Is there any type of lawsuit for this in canada going on or is everyone just keeping their mouth shut as usual? this turbo wastegate rattle is driving me insane.
N54 owners interested in proceeding against BMW Canada, please e-mail me at N54classaction@gmail.com.

BMW Canada isn't going to get a free ride this time.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #43
VeritasTruthEmet
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Cabrio

wastegates failed at 110,000km; engine reduced power error 2 days ago, about to raise Hell. Will keep you all posted.

"How do you say "Toyota" in German? BMW."
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #44
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasTruthEmet View Post
wastegates failed at 110,000km; engine reduced power error 2 days ago, about to raise Hell. Will keep you all posted.
Looking forward to hearing what happens. I got hung-up when I called BMWNA so hopeful you fair better than me.
Appreciate 0