E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Decided to fit a M3 diff

12-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #199
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

Signed up for 24hrs on bmwtis.com to see if I could access some info on the blue /yellow dots and special bolts but the whole site us a mystery to me!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to look up the info or once I log out then could do a bit of digging under my password?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #200
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

Worked it all out! If you don't use internet explorer you cant see some of the options!

You lads might want to take a look at what I found - I had to "prtscrn" each little portion and piece them together in MSword!

Here's the dropbox link...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/96878692/di...0prop%202.docx

Explains all!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #201
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARS View Post
Someone make a STICKY already!!!!
I don't think that will happen.all the after market LSD vendors cringe when they see this topic. They the ones that created the challenge originally that it cannot be done.
      12-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #202
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelo View Post
Worked it all out! If you don't use internet explorer you cant see some of the options!

You lads might want to take a look at what I found - I had to "prtscrn" each little portion and piece them together in MSword!

Here's the dropbox link...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/96878692/di...0prop%202.docx

Explains all!
Thank you Nigelo that is very useful info just still missing torques of the bolts. Also I'm wondering should I apply some bolt glue?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #203
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll hit up the BMW tis when I get in - the torque values were just one click away from those instructions above.

Anything else anyone want me to try and find while I'm still on my 24hrq registration ?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #204
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

Hey

Didn't get back in time before my 24hr pass was up!

Found this page on the free, but limited TIS:

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?2/51/03

Its all the torque values for the propshafts in BMW models. I'll try and find if there's some mention of any off the other values we need for the diff side.

Found this too... possibly less useful?

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?2/51/04

Last edited by Nigelo; 12-09-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #205
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey

Didn't get back in time before my 24hr pass was up!

Found this page on the free, but limited TIS:

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?2/51/03

Its all the torque values for the propshafts in BMW models. I'll try and find if there's some mention of any off the other values we need for the diff side.

Found this too... possibly less useful?

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?2/51/04
Thank you for that but I have to study this info... What does it mean torque angle? Also it is interesting that it says to replace bolts and nuts if they are ZNS (which is on M3 shafts) ---> (Replace bolts and nuts Jointing torque and angle of rotation must be observed without fail)

UPDATE
I guess I know to torque bolts to a certain NM then to turn it for example 90 degrees additionally.

Just one question can same bolts be reused second time?

Last edited by RimasRS; 12-10-2012 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #206
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

GeorgeSmooth, when you get a chance (no rush) can you send me a PM with a very brief list of what you needed to get this done (parts, major labor)?

I am HIGHLY considering doing this, since I am now single turbo and need to upgrade my axles and get an LSD. This seems like it would be a much cheaper option that may provide the necessary strength I need. I know the DS is the pain as you need the front half of the 335 and back half of the M3. I may see if DSS can make me a one piece to eliminate that problem.

Thanks in advance.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #207
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Thank you for that but I have to study this info... What does it mean torque angle? Also it is interesting that it says to replace bolts and nuts if they are ZNS (which is on M3 shafts) ---> (Replace bolts and nuts Jointing torque and angle of rotation must be observed without fail)

UPDATE
I guess I know to torque bolts to a certain NM then to turn it for example 90 degrees additionally.

Just one question can same bolts be reused second time?
I don't think they're meant to be reused, since the torque angle takes them past a certain elastic limit. Something like that? I'm not totally sure!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #208
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't think they're meant to be reused, since the torque angle takes them past a certain elastic limit. Something like that? I'm not totally sure!
Im afraid you are right. But to buy 24 new bolts it will cost some bucks
And I think guys who did conversion used old bolts and still doing well. I think I will use old bolts also just will make sure to use right balance washer (blue dot). And still I need to find somewhere correct torque to bolt them (specifically for M3 E92 side shafts and drive shaft)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #209
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

I think I'll be reusing mine too!

I need a few new things (hub nuts and a few others) for the install so might pick the brain of the service guy when I'm in. It'll be next week before I'm in though.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #210
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think I'll be reusing mine too!

I need a few new things (hub nuts and a few others) for the install so might pick the brain of the service guy when I'm in. It'll be next week before I'm in though.
I believe hub nuts can be reused also. You mean this nut which goes on the outside of the sideshaft?

BTW I was reading TIS but could not sort out the torques because there is no M3 E92, there is no 335i etc. we need some BMW tech guy to help us...

Last edited by RimasRS; 12-10-2012 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #211
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

That's the ones - Had to butcher one a little bending its tabs out!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #212
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's the ones - Had to butcher one a little bending its tabs out!
I know that they have to be torqued to 420 nm but can we reuse them?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #213
LuSt4Boost
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
I know that they have to be torqued to 420 nm but can we reuse them?
Heard from a BMW tech that they are not reusable.
      12-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #214
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSt4Boost View Post
Heard from a BMW tech that they are not reusable.
Thats what Ive read also. Though they can be bought cheaper. Alternative is Febi Bilstein.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #215
skyguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i 6MT

anyone doing or done 3.15 with e90 n54 manual? M3 dct driveshaft pretty close to correct fit?

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #216
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy View Post
anyone doing or done 3.15 with e90 n54 manual? M3 dct driveshaft pretty close to correct fit?

Yes my setup will be same. It will be a little shorter gears which I think is good.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #217
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
GeorgeSmooth, when you get a chance (no rush) can you send me a PM with a very brief list of what you needed to get this done (parts, major labor)?

I am HIGHLY considering doing this, since I am now single turbo and need to upgrade my axles and get an LSD. This seems like it would be a much cheaper option that may provide the necessary strength I need. I know the DS is the pain as you need the front half of the 335 and back half of the M3. I may see if DSS can make me a one piece to eliminate that problem.

Thanks in advance.
Should be with my tech tomorrow or day after. Will make a list and maybe I cam get him to answer some of the questions members had.
      12-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #218
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSmooth View Post
Should be with my tech tomorrow or day after. Will make a list and maybe I cam get him to answer some of the questions members had.
Can you please add following questions to your list...

1. Can we reuse old sideshaft and prop shaft bolts, if not which of them have to be replaced with new ones?

2. Torque specs of sideshaft to diff bolts and torque specs to diff and to gearbox specs (or can we torque by heart)

3. Which side of prop shaft is better to marry with oem prop shaft?

4. how to remove oem sideshafts w/o special BMW tool?

Anything else/special like list of needed parts or so that we have to know/have before installation?

Would be really appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #219
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Can you please add following questions to your list...

1. Can we reuse old sideshaft and prop shaft bolts, if not which of them have to be replaced with new ones?

2. Torque specs of sideshaft to diff bolts and torque specs to diff and to gearbox specs (or can we torque by heart)

3. Which side of prop shaft is better to marry with oem prop shaft?

4. how to remove oem sideshafts w/o special BMW tool?

Anything else/special like list of needed parts or so that we have to know/have before installation?

Would be really appreciated
I'll give it a shot:

1. I always replace sideshaft bolts as I have snapped them on my older BMWs. For the 6 bolts that attach to the sideshaft to the diff, I always tap the socket onto the bolts with a hammer to prevent them slipping. For the sake of a couple of Euros, why risk it? Also make sure you use m3 sideshaft bolts as they are different to the 135/335i ones. I bought brand new driveshaft to diff bolts as I didn't have them and replaced just the nuts on the gearbox side.

2. Buy a bentley manual as it should have the torque specs you require.

3. As far as I know, either side will work. I used the m3 driveshaft and shortened it from the transmission end as it was easier in my eyes to measure.

4. You need an E14 socket IIRC and a 36mm 12 point socket to remove the sideshafts. Both are pretty standard tools on BMWs. I would be more concerned about removing the driveshaft. I would highly recommend purchasing the AR Design spanner as it is perfect for the job and can be sold on after you use it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #220
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
I'll give it a shot:

1. I always replace sideshaft bolts as I have snapped them on my older BMWs. For the 6 bolts that attach to the sideshaft to the diff, I always tap the socket onto the bolts with a hammer to prevent them slipping. For the sake of a couple of Euros, why risk it? Also make sure you use m3 sideshaft bolts as they are different to the 135/335i ones. I bought brand new driveshaft to diff bolts as I didn't have them and replaced just the nuts on the gearbox side.

2. Buy a bentley manual as it should have the torque specs you require.

3. As far as I know, either side will work. I used the m3 driveshaft and shortened it from the transmission end as it was easier in my eyes to measure.

4. You need an E14 socket IIRC and a 36mm 12 point socket to remove the sideshafts. Both are pretty standard tools on BMWs. I would be more concerned about removing the driveshaft. I would highly recommend purchasing the AR Design spanner as it is perfect for the job and can be sold on after you use it.
Thanks for your input. So you are saying to replace all 12 bolts of sideshafts to diff?
I have them I was thinking to reuse them because they are not ZNS which BMW recommends to replace.
What about bolt supports (boomerangs)?

I have ordered for now drive shaft bolts (because I also didn't had them) and ordered nuts w/o bolts on gearbox side.

Also there is no bentley manual for M3 E92 I can't find it.

Few more questions how better to press out sideshafts? Because there is BMW special tool for that or to use simple hammer?

Is there some gasket under driveshaft bolts and bolt supports? Like it shows realoem.c*m
Appreciate 0