E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Drivers front Axel DIY?

07-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Drivers front Axel DIY?

I need to replace my drivers side front axel (bought used one on Ebay, comes today) and I cant find any good diys or video diys. Im trying to decide whether to diy it or pay someone to do it. The only reason I have to replace it is because my boot split open and its throwing grease all over. Apparently this issue is very rare.

If anyone paid for it, how much labor cost is a reasonable price?
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=0RylDpbxnMI
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Lovvi
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive M-package

No need to remove the caliper. I removed bottom end link, tie rod and wishbone and 36mm nut which holds the axle. Screwed the nut on few threads and slammed the axle out with hammer, and then pulled it out from the differential. Did both of the axles in 50minutes.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
Thanks i saw that video but it didnt show the reinstall. Lol. Only half good, but probably the best I will find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovvi View Post
No need to remove the caliper. I removed bottom end link, tie rod and wishbone and 36mm nut which holds the axle. Screwed the nut on few threads and slammed the axle out with hammer, and then pulled it out from the differential. Did both of the axles in 50minutes.
Wow that's fast. I guess I'll have to DIY this. Seems like its semi easy. Did you use a normal hammer or an air hammer? I dont have an air hammer hopefully it'll work without one.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Make sure to replace those boots, only makes sense while the half shaft is out.

Do OEM boots. I've done the aftermarket shit, failed within miles. Literally, within 200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
Make sure to replace those boots, only makes sense while the half shaft is out.

Do OEM boots. I've done the aftermarket shit, failed within miles. Literally, within 200 miles.
On the axel I bought on Ebay? It came from a car with 40k miles on it and the boots look great, how long do the boots last?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

well as most manuals state, installation is the reverse of removal.

but really it's a pretty straight forward thing. If you can't get the half shaft out of the diff, cross a pair of prybars in an X just under it so you get both sides. Sometimes when you pry on just one side they go sideways and the clip just binds up.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well as most manuals state, installation is the reverse of removal.

but really it's a pretty straight forward thing. If you can't get the half shaft out of the diff, cross a pair of prybars in an X just under it so you get both sides. Sometimes when you pry on just one side they go sideways and the clip just binds up.
So far i find it a little more annoying that straight forward. You really need the right tools to get this crap done in a timley matter. I'm wishing i just paid someone now.

I'm at least finally 90% done, new axel is in; however, i cant for the life of me get the new axel to pull into the hub.

I even went out and got one of these, but of course the stupid kit didnt fit my car eventhough the online website said it would (after i got it i noticed its for a ford). Either that or i have no idea how to use the kit?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...8608/9150001-P

Here is an image of where im stuck at. Any tips is greatly apreshiated!
Attached Images

2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)

Last edited by buster84; 07-17-2018 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #9
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

did you grease the splines before you tried to install it?

you can't install them dry. It should just take a little effort to shove it into the hub.
A rubber mallet on the face of the hub while you push from the rear on the axle sometimes get's them to wiggle in. I generally try to avoid hammering on the halfshaft to get them into the hub.

that kit you've got there looks like an old school pull hubs off spindles sort of deal.
Is the axle shaft threaded in the center? I honestly haven't looked at mine. If it is, get a bolt that fits that thread, thread it in there and go get the rental tool kit with the slide hammer. Attach slide hammer to bolt and then pull the shaft through the hub.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 01:50 AM   #10
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
So far i find it a little more annoying that straight forward.
If it weren't rust and corrosion, most jobs on the cars would be easy. Being in New England that is my experience, you are in Ontario I don't expect much different.

As nsjames mentioned, you can hit with rubber mallet on the hub to push the hub into the axle as much as you can. I second his comment on adding grease on the splines also. If you ca get the axle head come out clear off the hub enough to show the threads on it to put the axle nut on, then you can start pulling the axle in by tightening the axle nut on it.

If you cannot start the axle go into the hub at all, one thing that comes to my mind is to spray upside down dust spray to the end of the axle while it is outside of the hub completely, to cool it down to shrink its diameter. And then push it into the hub. Place grease on the splines still, not on the axle end but on the hub if you try this freezing off the axle end.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

I totally forgot to update this thread!

Since I didnt remove everything from the hub (didnt want mess with the allightment) I was unable to hit it with a mallet to force it in that way and I woudnt have felt like that was a safe way to do it. I also tried so many different things, oil, grease ect... but nothing worked to allow it to slide in on it's own, So i gave up and pulled it out and drove without the axel for a week in order to get around. I made sure it was just extremely short trips lol.

Anyways, the tool finally came in and i reinstalled it and it went perfectly fine. If i had to guess its probably because my wheel hub has over 120k miles on it and the axel i got had 42k. Since these are both used parts they probably wore down slightly different over there age on different cars they just wouldnt slide together on there own matter what i did, but with the tool it glided right in. I didnt even have to use any force.

This tool is a huge headache saver and i highly, highly suggest anyone replacing an axel with with used on on there car with high mileage to buy this tool before even attempting the repair. I so wish amazon had it since that would have saved me a huge headache of waiting on the Ebay one to arrive.

This is the tool I bought.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/7Pc-Drive-Sha...=1886030176007

Here is a video of the tool in action.

Appreciate 1
PhaseP1005.50
      08-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #12
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

you're lucky the unit bearing did fail and let the wheel depart.

the stub shaft holds it together.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you're lucky the unit bearing did fail and let the wheel depart.

the stub shaft holds it together.
It's all held in well with all the suspension so I wasnt worried. I would have had to drive it pretty hard to break the suspension enough to cause it to fall apart since i stayed off the freeways and kept it to 45mph (and below) i also limited my miles to just 3 miles one way when I had to go out. I was actually in the process of purchasing another car when this problem came up so I only had to deal with the issue for 2 days before i bought a new 2018 camry xse. I gotta say that the new drives very well and it's really smooth which makes my BMW feel like a rock from the stiff aftermarket suspension lol. At least I'll never have to worry about not having another car to get around again with my new DD.

Last edited by buster84; 08-04-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #14
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
I totally forgot to update this thread!

This tool is a huge headache saver and i highly, highly suggest anyone replacing an axel with with used on on there car with high mileage to buy this tool before even attempting the repair. I so wish amazon had it since that would have saved me a huge headache of waiting on the Ebay one to arrive.
Thanks for updating the thread and posting about the tool.
It is good to know such tool exists and low price. Each time I see the amount of rust on the hub and the axle nut when I remove my wheels I dread the day I would have to remove and install them, in case CV joints went bad.

The shop manual found online in some websites and the Bentley book talk about a special tool for wheel axle removal and installation, something much more fancier from the pictures than this one, but still, whatever works.
Appreciate 0