E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Valentine 1 Help

03-21-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Valentine 1 Help

Just got my detector not long ago. I read a lot about it. Anyways ive had it for a few days. But i get nothing but random beeps and when i see cops sitting on the road with laser or radar the radar has yet to pick up a signal. It beeps at everything but what i got it for. I am running it on the "L" mode right now. Any ideas?????
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 01:42 AM   #2
Tropicool
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO M3

move it higher on ur windsheild. More coverage??

not sure homes, i have the same radar and don't have any problems, i love it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
its right next to my mirror at the very top. so i dono its weird. what setting do you have it on. Logic as well or what...?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

i turned off my x-band within the first week of getting mine. i dont remember how to do it, but u turn it off with a series of button pushing and knob pulling patterns. google it. i think its on the v1 site. also, there is an initial volume (beep) adjustment and overall volume knob. maybe ur initial is high but ur overall is low, so it will blast a loud beep initially, but after the first beep it becomes quite.
      03-21-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
325ie90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

V1 is useless in Socal, at least in OC
The V1 doesnt detect cops unless the cop turns on his laser/ radar gun, most of the time its off especially in city streets. There is also a lot of fake alarms which makes me want to sell it. I think it is a complete waste of $$$
      03-21-2007, 04:16 AM   #6
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
^ +1

Those cops you saw definitely didn't have it on. Even with poor placement, if he's right in front of you the thing would've went off like crazy. V1s are best used on the highway. I'm on the L-mode right now too, and it does what it's supposed to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 04:27 AM   #7
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

L mode here as well. Works great for me. Already saved me times since I got it last month.
      03-21-2007, 04:28 AM   #8
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ie90 View Post
V1 is useless in Socal, at least in OC
The V1 doesnt detect cops unless the cop turns on his laser/ radar gun, most of the time its off especially in city streets. There is also a lot of fake alarms which makes me want to sell it. I think it is a complete waste of $$$
+2
Whenever a thread about radar detectors come up, i always say its useless but no one ever seems to listen. Most police dont drive around with their radar on so thats why when you drive by a cop, your radar detector wont go off. The annoying false alarms your talking about can be cured by turning off the X and K band. The K band DOES detect red light cameras but it also detects the automatic doors at supermarkets. Im not so much worried about red light cameras since theirs very little in my area versus how many supermarket doors their are so might as well turn it off.

Oh and laser is completely different. Laser is instant. If you see laser on your radar detector and your speeding, prepare to get pulled over.

After owning a radar detector (x50 and v1) for over 6 months, i realized that it was completely useless and sold it as soon as i found a buyer.
      03-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #9
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

turn the volume down until you hit the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
+2
Whenever a thread about radar detectors come up, i always say its useless but no one ever seems to listen. Most police dont drive around with their radar on so thats why when you drive by a cop, your radar detector wont go off. The annoying false alarms your talking about can be cured by turning off the X and K band. The K band DOES detect red light cameras but it also detects the automatic doors at supermarkets. Im not so much worried about red light cameras since theirs very little in my area versus how many supermarket doors their are so might as well turn it off.

Oh and laser is completely different. Laser is instant. If you see laser on your radar detector and your speeding, prepare to get pulled over.

After owning a radar detector (x50 and v1) for over 6 months, i realized that it was completely useless and sold it as soon as i found a buyer.
Correct for your area. Not true at all for others..

Just don't want others to be mislead. It really varies from state to state and from local jurisdiction to local jurisdiction..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
i use to use that too and i think the display with the small 'L' works pretty good as it eliminates the false alarms. i think the mode is logic 2 or something like that
      03-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
+2

radar detectors require a certain amount of inteligence to use, thats why its useless to so many people

radar detectors are not COP detectors, they are RADAR detectors

cops wont pull you over unless they have their radar on or they pace you, correction; the wont ticket you for speeding, if your driving like a reckless moron and go flying down the opposite lane your ass will get pulled over

the only times ive ever gotten speeding tickets with a detector in my car were when i decided to ignore the alert (usually because something more important was occupying my attention)
      03-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
the only times ive ever gotten speeding tickets with a detector in my car were when i decided to ignore the alert (usually because something more important was occupying my attention)

+ =

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post

+ =

lol, but i really meant something like concentrating on keeping traction around a corner
      03-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #15
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

small L is logic mode, big L is for advance logic mode.
      03-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #16
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

... +1 on the "radar detectors detect radars, not cops"

I dont think there are any detectors that detect radars when they are not on...
the valentine is the best detector hands down. i dont even want to try to convince u guys that disagree, most likely you feel radar detectors are useless cuz u drive like grandmas anyways.
      03-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #17
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
i dont even want to try to convince u guys that disagree, most likely you feel radar detectors are useless cuz u drive like grandmas anyways.
as i mentioned i think they might lack that "inteligence" characterisitic required to properly operate and interpret one
      03-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #18
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
as i mentioned i think they might lack that "inteligence" characterisitic required to properly operate and interpret one
lol, of course thats what you think
      03-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #19
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

I never said radar detectors are cop detectors. I was only stating that because the OP was saying he saw cops but his radar detector was not going off.

And "radar detectors are useless because we drive like grandmas anyways?". Im sorry we're not all as cool as you to be flying down the streets. I guess the box should come fine printed that says "if you follow speed limit, your not allowed to buy one."

Oh and Josh49 your right, what i posted was ment towards my area, so cal.
      03-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #20
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
I never said radar detectors are cop detectors.
no you said quite plainly "they are useless" then complained about false alarms and k band alarms, it clear to anyone who knows how to actually use a detector that you do not

most people could tell you instantly whether or not the alarm was false or not, when my brothers in the car with me (i speed like crazy) he always gets this dazed look on his face because i ignore a lot of the alarms and slam on my brakes for a smaller percentage, he always asks "why did you slow down now and not before?"

you need more than a week with a detector to even begin to understand, hell they all even print in their manuals "do not speed for a time after purchasing this detector until you are accustomed to its paticular habits" or something along those lines

and the fact you were complaining about x band shows even more that you are not in the position to be making statements like "radar detectors are useless"

god thought u said train for sure
      03-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #21
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

I've had a radar detector for probably a little over 6 months and i always ride with friends who have had it for years. Not once has X or K for that matter gone off and it was a cop using his radar gun so i dont see why i shouldnt complain about X OR K band. I have did however note that K would alarm you of where the red light cameras are but i felt that was useless (speaking solely on my area). Im not sure if in FL they use different bands for their radar but i can garuntee you 100% of the time when X or K goes off here in So Cal that it has NEVER been a cop. And those 2 are the most common ones that go off (and usually annoy people) so i dont see why i cant complain about X and K band. The OP is in Cali so i was merely suggesting it might help with the false alarms.
      03-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #22
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
I've had a radar detector for probably a little over 6 months and i always ride with friends who have had it for years. Not once has X or K for that matter gone off and it was a cop using his radar gun so i dont see why i shouldnt complain about X OR K band. I have did however note that K would alarm you of where the red light cameras are but i felt that was useless (speaking solely on my area). Im not sure if in FL they use different bands for their radar but i can garuntee you 100% of the time when X or K goes off here in So Cal that it has NEVER been a cop. And those 2 are the most common ones that go off (and usually annoy people) so i dont see why i cant complain about X and K band. The OP is in Cali so i was merely suggesting it might help with the false alarms.
because if you know that your cops only use ka band you can turn both x and k off, almost the entire country turns off their x band, but most leave k on for that cop that still uses a k band gun (yes the do exist im sure even in socal)

if the cops in your area dont pull people over for speeding why did you ever get one in the first place

i meen you say its useless and annoying, and that cops in your area only use ka, and that you can turn of k an x, so basically you will have a totally silent detector until you run into a cop w/ his radar on, i fail to see how this is useless

im also very surprised that these companies have managed to steal 300+$ from so many people for so long with their useless products