E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Can both front upper/lower control arm bushings leak?

10-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Can both front upper/lower control arm bushings leak?

I'm wondering if both bushings use hydraulic fluid and are prone to leaking. I got the airbag recall done and the dealer said the thrust bushings are leaking. It's unclear to me if that's upper, lower, or both.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Upper, toward the front of the car; the larger weird looking ones. It is pretty typical and you can usually see a leak trail on the subframe. Thrust Arm/Tension Struts is also what it's referred to.

If you've never changed them, it's very possible they're worn. That said, it's a VERY typical upsell for a service advisor, so just make sure and ask them to show you (or take a pic). They tried to tell me I needed to change it a week after I installed a new one...I mean, cmon, the damn thing is the only thing sparkling clean under there.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Upper, toward the front of the car; the larger weird looking ones. It is pretty typical and you can usually see a leak trail on the subframe. Thrust Arm/Tension Struts is also what it's referred to.

If you've never changed them, it's very possible they're worn. That said, it's a VERY typical upsell for a service advisor, so just make sure and ask them to show you (or take a pic). They tried to tell me I needed to change it a week after I installed a new one...I mean, cmon, the damn thing is the only thing sparkling clean under there.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping. I'm planning on upgrading to the M3 upper control arms and from what I read, I shouldn't need an alignment if that's all i'm changing out.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
Thanks, that's what I was hoping. I'm planning on upgrading to the M3 upper control arms and from what I read, I shouldn't need an alignment if that's all i'm changing out.
If you upgrade to the M3 control arms, you will need a alignment. The front end will be way out of whack after installation. Also, the main benefit of the M3 control arms is to introduce more negative camber, which would require an alignment regardless.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post

That's more the technician but yea
Appreciate 0