E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My 2012 E91 335d (plus a few noob questions!)

10-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #1
Manmoths
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI 335d Touring

My 2012 E91 335d (plus a few noob questions!)

Hi all,

I've recently purchased an LCI E91 335d and I couldn't be happier with it. I come from the world of hot hatches so this was a bit of a departure for me, but I needed a more practical daily car.

The car is a one-owner 2012 E91 with 41k miles and a pretty serious options list. The colour which I originally assumed was Silverstone is actually Bluewater and the interior is Red/Brown (Rotbraun)

It has pretty much all the desirable options barring the Pan Roof, which another car I looked at did have but it was double the mileage/owners. The obvious necessities such as Pro Nav/Harmon Kardon Logic 7 are all there, plus some really obscure (but handy!) options like the electronic tow bar which is hidden under the rear bumper.

So far I've only replaced the bordered dealer reg plates with plain ones and have washed/sealed the car for winter, including conditioning all the leather inside. I've also added the XHP Stage 2 map to the gearbox, which is incredible.

So, on to my questions - I'm looking for advice on deleting the DPF/EGR systems and going for a conservative remap. I'm not looking for it to be ballistic at the cost of stressing the running gear, but a nice lift in response and deletion of the crappy emissions systems would be a weight off my mind.

I know about the testing implications of this and have a friendly place - ahem - that tests for me, but I'd like to hear real opinions of people who've had it done.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

image2 by Chris Turner, on Flickr

image1 by Chris Turner, on Flickr

image3 by Chris Turner, on Flickr

image4 by Chris Turner, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

That is lovely mate. My advice is go for a nice remap of the engine and gearbox but avoid deleting DPF/EGR what with the new MOT rules. I think if the car is running correctly you should be able to avoid issues with them.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
Manmoths
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
That is lovely mate. My advice is go for a nice remap of the engine and gearbox but avoid deleting DPF/EGR what with the new MOT rules. I think if the car is running correctly you should be able to avoid issues with them.
Thanks! This is the kind of info that I'm on here for. I don't want to go spending money on things for no reason. Being new to modern diesels I'm probably over-worrying about the DPF. The scaremongering has worked.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

send a pm to bwchiptune(middelsex)he can map your car anywhere in country where he has designated tuners with a rolling road etc,,ive just had my 335d done via live link to him from sunderland tyne and wear,,the place that had the rolling road uses his maps,,but i wanted the owner(jason ) to do mine which he did a custom one for my car also egr delete via software,,dpf in place,,he knows his onions
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

thats quite a find with the miles and condition! nice one!

i wouldn't worry about the emissions stuff, so long as the thermostats are working and there isnt faults, it'll be fine.

did you do the XHP yourself? really that good? i'm considering it!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Great find. The tow bar is a very obscure option and not many of them have it.
Love the rotbraun interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
bee-ma
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92

Nice interior
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 04:18 AM   #8
Manmoths
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
thats quite a find with the miles and condition! nice one!

i wouldn't worry about the emissions stuff, so long as the thermostats are working and there isnt faults, it'll be fine.

did you do the XHP yourself? really that good? i'm considering it!
Thanks, I know! Most I looked at were 80k+ and 2/3 owner. This was a bit of a find.

Yeah, I flashed the transmission myself. It took around 40 minutes in total. I'm fairly confident with electronics/computers so it wasn't an issue. XHP is Android only though, so I had to buy a cheap Android device. Other than that, it was simple enough!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 04:19 AM   #9
Manmoths
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
Great find. The tow bar is a very obscure option and not many of them have it.
Love the rotbraun interior.
It really is, I've just to see another. Especially the electric one!

Handy for my bike rack though!
Appreciate 0