E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DWR Tranny Tune

07-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #111
HudZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davll View Post
As somebody who does not have a transmission tune yet, how does this impact daily drivability?
80% of the time I drive in D and 20% of the time in DS. I rarely shift manually (no paddles, unfortunately)

Is the TCU tune agnostic to the level of engine tune? Most people seem to be running it with aggressive ECU tunes, but I only have a JR Stage 2 non-delete tune.

Is there any negative impact to the longevity/lifespan of the transmission?

Thanks!
That's the point of DWR's tune. Great D for every day driving and aggressive S/M. It really is the whole reason we have 3 modes. BMW just didn't execute the seperations very well
Appreciate 3
robnitro160.00
DWR797.50
      07-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #112
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Yeah, same crap on the e70. On the diesels the high revving warmup cycle actually makes egts drop. We want the egt up on diesel for the dpf, and they mess that up! I wonder if the 8hp diesels do the same thing when cold. Dumb on a diesel which runs a huge excess of air at light loads!

I'd put it in m and shift at 1700 instead of the 2300 or so and warmup/egt was quicker to rise!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #113
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
For a DD tune, DWR is the way to go. Easy choice. I ran the xHP stage 3 tune, in D it's just awful. Short shifted like crazy, not impressed at all. Switched to DWR and haven't looked back.

JR2.8 here.
ditto...but I like the tune for aggressive driving...the DWR tune is so smooth compared to the xhp one that I don't worry about transmission longevity
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #114
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Yeah, same crap on the e70. On the diesels the high revving warmup cycle actually makes egts drop. We want the egt up on diesel for the dpf, and they mess that up! I wonder if the 8hp diesels do the same thing when cold. Dumb on a diesel which runs a huge excess of air at light loads!

I'd put it in m and shift at 1700 instead of the 2300 or so and warmup/egt was quicker to rise!
Yeah, I personally prefer the lower shiftpoints as well, so I took DWRs tune and modified the shiftpoints in D to happen at 1800 under light throttle input. I really like the progression at higher throttle inputs and the smooth shift behavior. To me that is about the perfect tune.
Very interesting that they also lead to quicker warmup.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #115
aaben
Registered
Rep
Drives: '10 335d US Spec

Can't wait to try the tune, need to post something after registration so here I go, hi all!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 11:25 PM   #116
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaben View Post
Can't wait to try the tune, need to post something after registration so here I go, hi all!
Good luck. I'm not sure if this is possible anymore. Perhaps someone else can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #117
Eckohwd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Just a big shout out to DWR for working with the community to develop this tune. My transmission is now buttery smooth and shifts just feel natural, dependent on throttle input, in D & S modes. In S mode, tranny also shifts to 6th at cruising speed, unlike my previous stage 3 1.1 hybrid, which would just hang in 5th gear regardless of speed. Certainly a huge improvement for me, since I do not have paddles and do get lazy using S mode. Manual shifts are not as harsh and again really smooth.

Job well done DWR. Thank you
Quote:
Just a big shout out to DWR for working with the community to develop this tune. My transmission is now buttery smooth and shifts just feel natural, dependent on throttle input, in D & S modes. In S mode, tranny also shifts to 6th at cruising speed, unlike my previous stage 3 1.1 hybrid, which would just hang in 5th gear regardless of speed. Certainly a huge improvement for me, since I do not have paddles and do get lazy using S mode. Manual shifts are not as harsh and again really smooth.

these guysbin the bay area?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 08:34 PM   #118
awenthol
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM 2011 335d

Could someone help with contact information for Dwr?

Nevermind--got it. Thanks guys.

Last edited by awenthol; 09-23-2018 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #119
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohwd View Post
Quote:

Quote:

these guysbin the bay area?
seriously....dwr has been one of the most valuable contributors to this board over the years. just stupid to ban him.
Appreciate 1
M5_1of400222.50
      09-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #120
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

DWR contact info

DWR authorized me to give away his personal email address in PMs.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:48 AM   #121
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
For a DD tune, DWR is the way to go. Easy choice. I ran the xHP stage 3 tune, in D it's just awful. Short shifted like crazy, not impressed at all. Switched to DWR and haven't looked back.

JR2.8 here.
ditto...but I like the tune for aggressive driving...the DWR tune is so smooth compared to the xhp one that I don't worry about transmission longevity
changed my mind and went back to the xhp stage three which I MUCH prefer to DWR's even though I have undying respect for his work
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #122
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

The shift map editor for xhp tune works nice. Can alter shift points all over the place. In D it can be as smooth as can be or in sport like night and day.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #123
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
changed my mind and went back to the xhp stage three which I MUCH prefer to DWR's even though I have undying respect for his work
Can you give reasonings for why you went back? Was it for the more aggressive shifting?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:33 AM   #124
Montego_D
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

DWR info please??
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #125
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaKii94 View Post
Quote:
Can you give reasonings for why you went back? Was it for the more aggressive shifting?
less aggressive, felt sluggish and slushy, prefer faster shifts
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #126
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montego_D View Post
DWR info please??
You should have a PM from me by now.
Please send me PMs instead of posting on my visitor page. I rarely check that page.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #127
awenthol
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM 2011 335d

Quote:
less aggressive, felt sluggish and slushy, prefer faster shifts
For those looking into this, I'd also like to add to Chief's comments, as he is right. THe latest OTS "stage 3" is by far the best. I wasted the money on DWR and was severly disappointed. I'm fully deleted/tuned and have more than enough torque to cruise around at 1000 rpm, but he had the car holding gears over 2000 rpm, and upon decel would immediatly shift up to 6th gear. Then when you get back into the throttle, it had to shift down. Maybe not a problem for most but I do a lot of city driving and both of these drove me up the wall. Had to go back to the OTS...much more predictable.

Also, for you guys that tried the OTS Stage 3 months ago, make sure you try the latest rev before criticizing. It's grossly better than the original releases.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #128
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

Unless you have actual data, I caution those of you posting negative comments about DWR's tune. Butt dyno "feelings" mean absolutely nothing in terms of performance. Log, measure the difference then post the results.

I've ran XHP in both of my deleted and tuned M57 vehicles, DWR's tunes are superior in EVERY way. Hell, DWR's tune even fixed my 4-5 flash I was getting with the XHP tune in my 35d.

Did you discuss your disappointment with DWR? Did you explain the issues you were experiencing with holding gears? How long did you run his TCU tune? What did you purchase? OTS tune or a custom one? How long did you run his tune? Did you reset adaptations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
For those looking into this, I'd also like to add to Chief's comments, as he is right. THe latest OTS "stage 3" is by far the best. I wasted the money on DWR and was severly disappointed. I'm fully deleted/tuned and have more than enough torque to cruise around at 1000 rpm, but he had the car holding gears over 2000 rpm, and upon decel would immediatly shift up to 6th gear. Then when you get back into the throttle, it had to shift down. Maybe not a problem for most but I do a lot of city driving and both of these drove me up the wall. Had to go back to the OTS...much more predictable.

Also, for you guys that tried the OTS Stage 3 months ago, make sure you try the latest rev before criticizing. It's grossly better than the original releases.

Last edited by 335dsleeper; 11-19-2018 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #129
fattoadray
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I have about 1000 miles on DWR's TCU and can't believe that I even tried to run a stock TCU on a modified engine. It is a huge improvement over stock. I noticed a nice bump in fuel economy too now that it shifts a lot sooner for casual driving. (getting 33 mpg town) I'm very happy with it!
      12-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #130
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post
Unless you have actual data, I caution those of you posting negative comments about DWR's tune. Butt dyno "feelings" mean absolutely nothing in terms of performance. Log, measure the difference then post the results.

I've ran XHP in both of my deleted and tuned M57 vehicles, DWR's tunes are superior in EVERY way. Hell, DWR's tune even fixed my 4-5 flash I was getting with the XHP tune in my 35d.

Did you discuss your disappointment with DWR? Did you explain the issues you were experiencing with holding gears? How long did you run his TCU tune? What did you purchase? OTS tune or a custom one? How long did you run his tune? Did you reset adaptations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post

nonsense...I have owned two 335ds and I know when my transmission shifts better. As I said, there are few if any who have contributed more than DWR to the quality content on this board. He has my undying respect.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #131
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I never ran the DWR tune but I was lucky enough to share notes with him through the years and I am 100% certain that he would not knowingly provide bad tunes. He's pretty thorough and shows pride in his work. I ask you to go back and look at the research thread that spawned Xhp and look at DWRs contributions. I

The tread "Transmission remap - Let's do it ourselves" and the people behind it spawned Xhp.

I find it frustrating that the Mods ban people like DWR with little or explanation provided to the Forum. Presumably, he was selling tunes without paying a vendors registration fee. Did the Mods have any type of discussion with him before the ban or did they just "Flip a switch" ? In the absence of any official information people will make their own conclusions.
Appreciate 2
Mik325tds805.50
M5_1of400222.50
      12-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #132
Soonerbilly
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Does this SITE sell tunes of any kind? I know everything is about the almighty dollar....but if the people that are "undermining" the site aren't selling anything that is in direct competition to said site should it truly be a problem? MOST of us are here to read about and talk about our cars. The people that have been banned seem to be the most knowledgeable and most passionate forum members. I thought that was what forums were all about....helping each other out. Kinda sad if you ask me.
Appreciate 1
Mik325tds805.50