E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Steering wheel cracking and worn

10-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
lando_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Steering wheel cracking and worn

Today I got pretty lucky at the junkyard and was able to pick up an M3 steering wheel for $10. It's in pretty bad shape though since it has cracks at the top and tons of visible wear. Is there any way I could restore the leather to the OEM finish? I would hate to sit down and stitch together a leather wrap over the steering wheel so i'm looking for some alternatives.
Pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 11:29 PM   #2
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

I'm no expert but it looks too far gone for a DIY, I think your choices are to wrap it with one of those stitching kits like you said, or have it professionally restored/rewrapped.

Id' have it redone by these guys.

http://royalsteeringwheels.com/e87e90/
Appreciate 1
lando_22.50
      11-11-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
lando_
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoJu3 View Post
I'm no expert but it looks too far gone for a DIY, I think your choices are to wrap it with one of those stitching kits like you said, or have it professionally restored/rewrapped.

Id' have it redone by these guys.

http://royalsteeringwheels.com/e87e90/
I did the diy re wrap kit, and it turned out amazing! It was very cheap, but it did take a few hours and a lot of tedious stitching.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #4
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
+1 for the diy stitch kit. Long and tedious, but cheap and EXCELLENT results! My non sport wheel looks AND feels much better than before!
Attached Images

11-15-2021, 02:58 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando_ View Post
I did the diy re wrap kit, and it turned out amazing! It was very cheap, but it did take a few hours and a lot of tedious stitching.
Wow looks amazing. Which kit did you use? Might have to do mine at one point.

Also FYI I don't think that an M3 wheel rather an M sport wheel. The M3 wheels have a weird notch near the M badge IIRC and are not perforated.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
lando_
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando_ View Post
Wow looks amazing. Which kit did you use? Might have to do mine at one point.

Also FYI I don't think that an M3 wheel rather an M sport wheel. The M3 wheels have a weird notch near the M badge IIRC and are not perforated.
I bought it on ebay from the seller mooventsteven.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2021, 10:34 PM   #7
KhaosKid
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘11 323i when it works

+1 for the diy wrap as well. You could try cleaning it and dying it, but i'm not sure if the results will be worth-while. You got the wheel for a steal (bars), so you could even potentially pay someone to reupholster/wrap it for you.

If you wrap it yourself you could save tons of money. It usually takes 4-5 hours total your first time from what i've heard as well as personal opinion. Lots of people have done it and the results are pretty good. Definitely remove it from the car and remove the trim on the wheel to get a better result and make the process easier on your back/neck if you go that route. You got this.

Edit: if you're scared of doing a bad job on the sewing use black thread. It will blend into the color of the leather and not be noticeable.
Appreciate 0