E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dealership Injector Mistake?

06-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Dealership Injector Mistake?

Hi,

Some back story on the issue:

-Car had all 6 injectors replaced at dealership due to them all being "out of spec"
-After getting car back had misfire on cyl 6 so took it back to dealership and they replaced the injector again
-Got car back once again and now have the same problem in cyl 1

I opened the bonnet (hood) to see if swapping coils would have any effect before returning to the dealer and spotted this (as a side note does anyone know what that hole is for or the name of it):

View post on imgur.com

Looks to me like they snapped one of the tabs off the injector when installing. Here's a closeup with my key for scale:

View post on imgur.com

I'm going to return to the dealer and have a chat with the service director and voice my concerns over workmanship on my car and give him a chance to rectify the issue by letting one of their guys give all 6 injectors a proper inspection. If they screwed up the install of two injectors then I don't have much hope for the longevity of the others.

Does anyone know how this would happen? Are those tabs easily broken or did the tech do something incredibly stupid?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Look familiar?

To this day it baffles me how they could break those tabs off, 3 out of 6. I did the replacement injector install myself, you have to be a complete dumbass to do anything wrong...

The worst part though was the fact that they "forgot" to install the decouplers on 4 of the injectors. This can have serious consequences for the engine, along with misfiring and inefficient combustion.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17676785
      06-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeh that's confirmed it. I'm going to have a word with them. I'll be pleasant and just explain what I've had to put up with so far and give them a chance to rectify things. They are very afraid of negative feedback so they should be keen to put things right.

The funny thing is that I mentioned that the decoupling element may have been left off on the first visit. They just told me that "The techs do this job day-in day-out and know what they are doing" as if to say they knew better.

They called me a day later to tell me I was correct. They replaced the entire injector (1 week old) in that cylinder! I'm guessing they also bust the tabs on that.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
Bme30
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
The mechanics at the dealers are sub par imho. And injector job is a cake job! I did my own and coded everything in about 30 minutes from start to driving even with coding. It blows my mind at the incompetence of the dealers. Sorry brother hope you get it fixed!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I would actually love to do it all myself. I'm a programmer by profession but I enjoy getting oils hands when the opportunity arrives. It's just the injectors are covered by BMW warranty and the parts are stupidly expensive.

I studied the injector replacement DIY and it all seemed very straightforward. The only part which I thought would be easy to mess up is replacing the fuel lines and not torquing them correctly and that's purely because I don't own a torque wrench.

I'm really annoyed at the lack of care that's gone into the work but I'll try not to pass any frustration on in the hope they will resolve the issue.

What really pissed me off was that before my injectors completely let go I had taken the car into the dealership and pointed out the rough idle and excessive fuel consumption to a tech and he just told me it was normal. A week later my car rolled up on the forecourt on the back of a recovery truck.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

all of you that DIY were do you guys get INPA from??
MHD Custom Flash (E85) [Jake@MOTIV] / Vargas Stage 2 Turbos / Fuel it LPFP Stage 3+/ Moitiv Port Injection/ MMP Turbo Inlets/ 3.5 Tmap Sensor / ER FMIC /ER Chargepipe HKS-BOV / AA Downpipes / Agency Power Race mid pipes / Berk Technology race exhaust / BMW SSK / BC Forged Whees Toyo R888 tires / KW Club sport coilovers+KW Camber Plates / Spec stg2+Spec SMSFW/ APR Wing GTC200
Appreciate 0