E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Crank No Start - EWS-DME interface / message incorrect Frame error e93 / n55

01-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
DasBimmer02038
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Crank No Start - EWS-DME interface / message incorrect Frame error e93 / n55

I was told that I need to replace my DME to resolve my Crank, No Start condition. The fault codes that result in this assessment are the first two as the (4) Vehicle speed related ones are related to DME as well.
"0032AB EWS-DME message incorrect Frame error";
"0032E4 EWS-DME interface Frame error";
"0032D3, 0032D5, 0032D6, 0032D7" Vehicle speed, wheel speed sensor electrical: Malfunction"

There are other fault codes that are in the history but no longer present once the technician connected the car to a jumper box to give it sufficient power - assume to run ISTA diagnostic. These other faults are listed a bit further down...

Quick summary: I ended up towing my car to the dealership for a dead battery and when they couldn't get the car started they thought it was a bad Fuel Pump and kept it to run a fuel pump analysis on it as they thought was the reason for why it wasn't starting. i was told the next day that it was believed to be related to EWS-DME and got a quote that made my jaw drop.

NOTE: I asked them to do a EWS-DME re-sync, and the response was that they would but only after a new DME was installed.

I went to the dealership to review the car I saw the Tech's paperwork on the passenger seat and was given permission to take it. Looks like there were fault codes stored, then cleared out once hooked up to a jumper box to give enough power to run ISTA. Assume this is the case as the Existent condition YES/NO is displayed besides the Mileage column.

NOTE: when I went there i saw that the battery still hadn't been replaced.
This i know, because AAA jump started my car by connecting directly to the battery in the trunk once they were unable to get the car started the way
BMW indicates - only jump the battery from the front of the car. The car was driven home, however did not start again. And having looked at the car's trunk, everything was still the way AAA left it after jump starting - and the dead battery was still in place.

ISTA Fault Code Summary reveals the following Faults that caught my eye however, these indicate "NO" under existing condition when the diagnostic was run. But before it was cleared and re-run, these had existed and were all present at the same mileage indicator that had the EWS-DME faults above:
"00CF33 No message, receiver EGS, transmitter DME-DDE";
"0032EB Electronic immobiliser protection against tampering: Engine running blocked by electronic immobiliser";
"00A0B5 CAS: Immobiliser anti-tampering protection";
"00A0B5 CAS: Fault, road peed signal";
"003887 Vehicle voltage: Voltage too low";
"036FD DME main relay, plausibility: prematurely dropped out";

I asked them to put a new battery in and get it started. It was pouring rain, but the car was pushed in the service bay very quickly. The removal and install of the new battery as well as an unsuccessful syncing of DME to EWS all took place next. I was called back over and brought into the service area to see it first hand. It cranked much better, but it didn't start. all this happened in 17 minutes.

--- could this be because the battery had yet to be registered before it can properly read and relay messages between EWS-DME?

Stumped, I took to this forum and read as much as I could and learned quite a bit. So the next day I asked them to double check a few things which I had read about:
- proper charge of the battery (in 17 min, something on the shelf could have dissipated leaving less than 12V and definitely not 13.6V)
- continuous voltage read across all battery connection points and grounds
- EWS, DME, Fuel Pump relays
- look at and check for continuity on ignition and fuel system fuses
- look at and check for continuity on DME engine management fuses, (especially F14 in the Motorsicherungen pack)
- look at and check for continuity on CAS module fuses
- Crankshaft position sensor
- Mass Air flow sensor
- refresh batteries in the key
- use a second key with fresh battery (which i brought)

The dealership has been good to me and they said that they re-checked all of this again but still indicate that this all leads back to needing a new DME.
They did indicate that when the Jump was made by AAA, that because the engine management system was bypassed by going directly to the battery in the trunk, that it is the likely cause of a voltage spike during the last crank + start before burning out the component that stores the rolling pass codes.

So have i overlooked anything based on the codes that were stored?
appreciate any input...

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0