E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Metal In Oil - Replace Rod Bearings or New engine?

12-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
Christian_E90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 335Xi 6MT

N55 Metal In Oil - Replace Rod Bearings or New engine?

I have a 2011 BMW 335i with 147k miles. Upon recent replacement of the oil cooler gasket, I found a very very fine metallic appearance to the oil sitting in the oil filter cavity.

I bought the car at 145k, immediately ran Liqui-Moly Engine flush through it and replaced the oil with FCP’s Liqui-Moly 5W-40 Oil change kit. I do not remember noticing anything out of the ordinary when draining the oil that came in the car, however I wasn’t really paying super close attention.

The engine itself sounds fine, no knocks, ticks or anything out of the ordinary. I am assuming that the metallic appearance in the oil is rod bearing material, as I know these cars are notorious for having rod bearing issues.

My current plan is to send off an oil analysis to Blackstone labs to make a conclusion of what the material in the oil is coming from. If it is what I’m expecting (Rod Bearing Material), I would do a compression test on the engine (to make sure i’m not wasting money) and install new crank bearings from the oil pan.

What are everyone's thoughts on doing this? I don’t mind spending a little time changing the bearings, however I wouldn’t want to waste time on an engine that is going to blow up again.
      12-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
fatty335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_E90 View Post
I have a 2011 BMW 335i with 147k miles. Upon recent replacement of the oil cooler gasket, I found a very very fine metallic appearance to the oil sitting in the oil filter cavity.

I bought the car at 145k, immediately ran Liqui-Moly Engine flush through it and replaced the oil with FCP’s Liqui-Moly 5W-40 Oil change kit. I do not remember noticing anything out of the ordinary when draining the oil that came in the car, however I wasn’t really paying super close attention.

The engine itself sounds fine, no knocks, ticks or anything out of the ordinary. I am assuming that the metallic appearance in the oil is rod bearing material, as I know these cars are notorious for having rod bearing issues.

My current plan is to send off an oil analysis to Blackstone labs to make a conclusion of what the material in the oil is coming from. If it is what I’m expecting (Rod Bearing Material), I would do a compression test on the engine (to make sure i’m not wasting money) and install new crank bearings from the oil pan.

What are everyone's thoughts on doing this? I don’t mind spending a little time changing the bearings, however I wouldn’t want to waste time on an engine that is going to blow up again.
Hi Christian,

Small metal particles in the oil filter housing left over after removal of the filter (usually detected with a powerful flashlight) can be indicative of rod bearing material. Here are a few thoughts for your consideration:

1. For whatever reason, the new tin-aluminum bearing material BMW switched to in 2011 does not show up on used oil analysis as reliably as the old lead-copper bearing material. You can get a "good report" and still experience an issue shortly thereafter.

2. I changed my rod bearings at 72K (2011 N55) and they didn't look so good; most of the babbitt material had already worn off. I too was noticing small metal particles in the oil filter housing before the swap; it stopped immediately after I changed the bearings.

3. If you plan to keep the car, a rod bearing swap - especially at your mileage - is relatively cheap insurance. The job will run you ~$500 if you do the work; about four times that if you take it to an indy.

Unfortunately, unless you can really see something obvious (ex. chain guide chewed up), you will have to make an educated guess. Based on my experience, your description of the issue and your car's mileage, I'd suggest the rod bearings would be a good place to start.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_E90 View Post

Can you take a picture of the oil? Or do you have pictures?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 08:54 PM   #4
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
I noticed this in my N52 with 71k miles. Idk if you can see the grey/silver swirl. I was told it's normal
Attached Images

Last edited by Mosaud1998; 12-09-2020 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
Mustafa.e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335i

If you still have the filter cut it open and look for chunks. Not sure if the little particles in the ofh is normal or not but the last like 10 N54/n55 I've done oil changes on I've seen the same and figured it's normal
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa.e92 View Post
If you still have the filter cut it open and look for chunks. Not sure if the little particles in the ofh is normal or not but the last like 10 N54/n55 I've done oil changes on I've seen the same and figured it's normal
Talking to me or OP?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
Mustafa.e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335i

Op but you to. Cut open the filter if theirs nothing their I wouldn't worry
Appreciate 0