E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Follow up on DME Failure-Win for the good guys!

11-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
EASTCOASTNINJA
WILL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 335i Sedan

Talking Follow up on DME Failure-Win for the good guys!

Ok so to start of with ill let you know what happened then follow it up with what I did to fix all the issues. This will include what I call fails on my part and fails on BMWs part.

About 3 weeks ago I left a DYNO that I was working but did not dyno. On the way home I stopped to get Gas at a local gas station. Apparently the fuel that I got which said 93 octane was a little weaker than displayed. 10 minutes later and 3rd gear pull I get a miss fire and then limp mode. I try to clear all my codes using my COBB V3 like any other sane person. but no use lost all throttle control basically the car was useless and I pulled these following codes.

29D0 misfirings, cylinder 4
29D1 misfirings, cylinder 5
29D2 misfirings, cylinder 6
29CC misfirings, several cylinders
29D9 misfirings in case of tank filling level too low
30BB DME digital motor electronics, internal failure

So after getting the my car towed I ran some tests, switching coil packs around to make sure that it wasn't the coil packs going bad, still same codes.

Got new spark plugs to make sure it wasn't the plugs, still same codes.

Got new coil packs, still same codes..

Got new injectors cylinder 4,5,6 still same codes...

So I looked up 30BB code and stumbled upon someone with the same issues.

Come to find out Our DMEs have a transistor for each cylinder and I blew cylinder 4,5,6. So I sent it out to http://www.n54dme.com/product/n54-dme-repair-service

and 4 days after sending my DME out to TEXAS for repairs I get it back and clear all the codes off the DME using INPA and undoing my battery and getting a lil jump start from my GFs WRX, the car starts right up.

So my fails- buying Coil Packs, Plugs, Injectors and then finding out that it was my DME.

BMW fails- Making Faulty DMEs and having Faulty Injectors...

Do to N54DME.com Thanks for the help and well worth the money considering a new DME is $2500ish.

If you guys come up with these issues PM me and I will help you with any issues you guys since ive done my water pump, injectors, coding, oil gaskets, and every other shenanigan you can think of.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
EASTCOASTNINJA
WILL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 335i Sedan

BUMP BUMP
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Good for you bro.
By the way the link is not working.
http://www.n54dme.com/

The above is what I tried.
DN
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Not sure how many miles you had on your car when your DME failed, but in the US, the DME is covered by the Federal Emissions Warranty for 8 years / 80K miles.
      09-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Holy cow, you, sir, are amongst the 0.001% capable of doing that. I thought I was a genius, replacing my OFH gasket. You put me to shame. Congrats, and money will saved!! Too bad you can't return those plugs and injectors and coilpacks!! But, I commend your persistence and skill.
Appreciate 0