E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MILVS Review

02-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

MILVS Review

TL;DR: Get the milvs - lots more torque and power. I felt more difference with this tune than with swapping out headers.

Note: BPC no longer sells tunes. To my knowledge, the only tuner shop supporting these is Stage FP (former BPC tuner - Bob). AA developed a tune for MILVS; however, I have not seen any availability for it to general public.

My mods:
AA headers, 3 stage intake manifold, MILVS, revo hose, BPC tune (Stage FP)

Long version:

I installed milvs 2-3 weeks ago.

Installation:
The process for the installation of milvs is the same as replacing your valve cover gasket, with one extra step - installing the supports aka milvs. The install is very straight forward. For installation you can check out my videos posted on youtube (search for milvs). Tips I can share are: make sure you put the washer all the way through and make sure that the cam lobes are in the right position. If you get these two things right, you will be able to slide out milvs by hand (or by very light push with screwdriver). Another tip: Make sure your new milvs are seated properly.

Once removed valve cover, the swap took about 3-7 min per cylinder. It's really not difficult at all.

Initial impression (without tune):
Upon staring up the car, car idled normal - same as before. There were no idle fluctuations. No weird noises. Pushing the accelerator did not cause engine to explode (this was great feeling).

Side note: I did not reset adaptations after the install. I have no means to do such as I have no cable to hook up my comp and the car.

During the first drive car actually felt as if it lost power. I was starting to get disappointed. After about 20 miles of driving, the lost power was regained. I drove about 300 miles on this set up (without tune). Car did not feel any stronger or weaker than before the install. There was no noticeable adaptation. Another forum member TheAxiom reported the same observation. I was advised that in order to get the full potential, I had to have a tune. So...

The tune:
At the time of this post, the only tuner who offers off the shelf tune for this modification is BPC. Working with Randall and Bob@BPC was pleasure as always.

Once the issue with the handheld was sorted, the install was flawless. Once again, I did not reset adaptations.

For the first 30 miles on the tune there was no difference. I attribute this to adaptations. However, after that initial period, the car just woke up. Bear in mind: Prior to this my car did not feel like it was low on power or weak in any sense. BUT this... this was a whole other level. Since the tune I put on about 400 miles.

The car just pulls and pulls. There is bunch of torque from as low as 1,000 RPM. I kid you not, I can be in 6th gear driving along at <40mph (35-37 to be exact) and push the accelerator pedal and the car just moves. Before, the car would just stumble, but now it just pulls. This extra torque makes daily commute oh so much more pleasurable.

This torque (power) increase is felt in any gear across the entire power band especially between 2k and 5k rpm . However, tbh, i don't think I picked up much on the top end due to restrictive exhaust (I still have stock exhaust).

TheAxiom I hope you don't mind me quoting you, but like he said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
I probably don't rev the car past 5000 because it feels like it's just making that much more power everywhere.
... and I couldn't agree more. So much more power everywhere. The disa dip around 4k is gone. With this mod, BPC's tune feels as smooth as the new AA tune, but with WAY more tq.

I actually had to learn how to drive my car again in rush hour traffic as the car is so damn response at any rpm - yes I keep repeating this since it's that impressive.

Fuel economy:
Since the install (and tune), my average fuel economy actually went up. During my commute (70 % hwy and 30 % city) prior to this I was averaging about 24 mpg (9.8 l/100). After the mod (and tune), my average consumption went to 27-28mpg (8.7 - 8.4 l/100). I attribute this to increased tq - you spend less time pushing the accelerator to achieve same acceleration as before.

Dyno:
I have reached out to my dyno shop to schedule another dyno run and see what the actual gains are. Unfortunately, they are swamped prepping for the upcoming season and might not be able to see me until mid to late March. Once dyno is done, I will update this post with results.

My unsolicited advice on tuning this engine:
Get 3 stage intake manifold. Get revo hose and remove carbon filter. Get milvs. Get BMW PE. Get BPC tune. With listed items, you will get power and awesome sound. I felt more difference with this tune than with swapping out headers. It might not be even worth getting headers.

About milvs:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
They increase valve lift by changing the intermediate rocker ratio, therefore making more power.
And to add to this:

There are no cams for N52 engine. justpete and Bob@BPC experimented with aftermarket cams and they did not yield any positive results. This mod by CobraMarty is the closest thing you can get to cam swap.

If you are changing your valve cover gasket - take extra 20 min and install them. Def worth it. Milvs cost $350 (new) or $300 (used). You get $40 back if you send in your old ones effectively lowering the cost to $310 or $260. These supports experience very little wear (almost none), so going used is advisable. New valve cover gasket kit is ~$60.

HOWEVER, Full potential can only be achieved via tune. So far, the only tuner offering off the shelf tune for this mod is BPC. If you already have BPC tune, cost of upgrade is $100. If you don't have the BPC tune already, full purchase price of BPC tune including this mod is $750. AA purchased set of MILVS and is potentially exploring offering a tune for this mod as well. Currently there is no availability or pricing for AA tune.

The mod works on following engines: n20, n26, n51, n52, n55, s55 (M3,M4)

More info:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329840
Edit: Since I get quite a few messages about this mod, here are instructions that I used:
Install instructions:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=728

Relevant install tip:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=686

What else is do you want to know?

Last edited by W37V; 03-13-2020 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 17
6ixSpd5996.50
Noir883.00
Biginboca3759.50
avocet250.00
tetsuo1111224.00
Bob@BPC863.50
Ali-E90370.50
lab_rat394.50
Taskmaster2463.00
      02-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Ugh, stop making me spend more money on this car...

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 6
      02-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Ugh, stop making me spend more money on this car...
This one might be worth it.

But, I got you brother.

Every time I decide to get rid of it, something else happens (get new tires, a new mod, etc) that make me say: “I just spent all this money on this item. Might as well enjoy it to get my money’s worth”. Car is still with me. Its freaking endless cycle. Lol!
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      02-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
So how difficult really is this infamous valve cover gasket swap? Can anyone tell me about all of that? I'm new to the scene here. Is the VCG swap a common maintenance item? Factory schedule maintenance? I've never had to swap a valve cover gasket for any reason other than because I removed a valve cover to do a mod (cams, etc.). My car has less than 30,000 miles on her, so I feel like a VCG swap is a long way off..... Is the job (VCG) really so bad? Why?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Nice review. I second all your recommendations as well!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
So how difficult really is this infamous valve cover gasket swap? Can anyone tell me about all of that? I'm new to the scene here. Is the VCG swap a common maintenance item? Factory schedule maintenance? I've never had to swap a valve cover gasket for any reason other than because I removed a valve cover to do a mod (cams, etc.). My car has less than 30,000 miles on her, so I feel like a VCG swap is a long way off..... Is the job (VCG) really so bad? Why?
two shops quoted me 6-7 hours to do the MILvs job , plus 300 for the parts and another 800 for the tune ( if you don't already have BPC tune) , so 1800 $ roughly to get it done at a shop

I think that is the reason people are recommending to do it when the valve cover gasket needs to be replace.

Its not really a cheap mod unless you DIY , the good thing is that there are some tutorials already on the other thread. If you are comfortable working on your car this may be the best route. But I would def add at least a 3 stage intake to take advantage of the money you ll be paying BPC for their tune , heck even AA headers at the same time
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      02-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
I felt more difference with this tune than with swapping out headers. It might not be even worth getting headers.
Would this combo feel as good without the headers though? Thank you for the review, I've been waiting for this impression. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT

I'm about to sell my car soon probably and you guys just talk about those milvs damnnnnnn :/ Again difficult decision
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #9
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

thanks for the review. I have all the components you mentioned sitting around. I need to get on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 03:43 AM   #10
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It’s just a bit tedious. It’s not difficult at all. About 2-4 hours of work. Gaskets tend to fail and leak at around 70k. You are bound to replace it eventually. Like rick said, shops charge top dollar for it. IMO , it’s such easy job, it’s hard to mess up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Nice review. I second all your recommendations as well!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Would this combo feel as good without the headers though? Thank you for the review, I've been waiting for this impression. Thanks!
I don’t see why not. You might see less overall gains, but you will get gains nonetheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajac1 View Post
I'm about to sell my car soon probably and you guys just talk about those milvs damnnnnnn :/ Again difficult decision
Do this mod! It will be as if you got a new car. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
thanks for the review. I have all the components you mentioned sitting around. I need to get on it.
Go for it man! One weekend well spent.
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
      02-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #11
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

Thanks for the kind words.

Great unsolicited and impartial review. Everyone has been great validating these MILVs on the N52.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 08:31 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
The valve cover gasket is not that hard of a job. I have the '06 N52 with the magnesium valve cover, which has a slightly different valve cover gasket set and needs new valve cover bolts because they are one-time use aluminum. The '07 and afterwards N52 has a plastic valve cover that uses steel bolts. Just make sure you get all the gaskets which includes the main profile gasket, gaskets for the spark plug wells, the ESS gasket, and the oval gasket for the Valvetronic motor.

The hardest issues are removing the PVC vent hose without cracking it in half (I did). One Poster came up with a good solution, which is use a hose clamp to squeeze the vent hose connector's tabs to remove it. holding the main profile gasket in place is problematic, some guys use fishing line or dental floss to tie it in place through the bolt holes in a few places. I used gasket maker on both sides to hold it in place. Finally, you really have to get the massive amount of harness cables held out of the way because it is a tight fit to get the cover back on the head. I pulled the ECU cover and popped all the harnesses out of their sealing grommets and tied them up and out of the way, or get a 2nd person to lend a third hand.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
David0ff1055.00
      02-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #13
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Excellent. Thanks.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #14
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

TBH, I'm a little jealous of those of you with these installed - I've had mine for months (maybe the 1st batch?), and really owe Marty thanks (I should put up a free MILVs tune on Bimmerlabs.com), but here's my conundrum.. My E90 is the most reliable car I've ever owned. At 134k, it doesnt leak a drop from the top end (valve cover, OFH, PCV, head gasket - all bone dry - just looked a second ago). It's just so smooth and perfect - I just leave it be.

In my youth I would have approached this with reckless abandon, and swapped them in at 9pm on a dark tuesday night (probably on jackstands, in a gravel driveway, during a snowstorm - yes, I've been there), knowing I needed the car to get to work/school the next AM. Now, I have two spare cars and the E90 could be down for weeks without affecting my life, and I haven't made it happen.

Its not about time, parts, or ability.. I've had the valve cover gasket kit on my shelf somewhere since the day I bought this car (I read it was a problem - although neither of my ~100k N52s ever leaked). I could tune it myself in a hearbeat using (IMO) the best tools in the world. My young sons relish time spent in the garage (really gotta learn to stop saying "no" to them wanting to help).

Now that my E30 is a "toy" car; which is funnny because whenever a "reliable" car is down, the E30 is my go-to car for basic transport... I live and die by the rule "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Been burned a few times (like looking for a critical missing bolt at 2am in a snowstorm, *ahem*).

So here I am. A perfect, "high miles" (by some standards) 330i that i could add 10whp to for a $0 personal cost.. But I can't bring myself to do it. My only saving grace - two boys younger than 10 who believe my E30 is a "real" race car, waiting to be releashed from its cage one day again.

Run, don't walk - if you want a low cost mod (hell, even if you were paying shop rates on a VCG replacement), MILVs are the ticket. To those who have done it so far, may your balls of steel father many children.. Because most kids these days couldn't tell a screwdriver from a tampon dispenser.
Appreciate 9
Noir883.00
David0ff1055.00
Volasko696.00
6ixSpd5996.50
lab_rat394.50
Taskmaster2463.00
      02-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

Amen Hass!
Str8EJ1.00
      02-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #16
nuron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Quote:
and really owe Marty thanks (I should put up a free MILVs tune on Bimmerlabs.com),
MILVS tunes...tell us more. You got me looking at the 330i tune on Bimmerlabs already
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #17
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
So just to play devil's advocate.. What would/could be the potential downside(s) of this mod? I'm not saying the MILVs aren't worth it. In fact I'd be all over these if I was out of warranty. But typically mods have some sort of downside, albeit small, associated with them. [i.e. exhaust - increased noise; intake - dirtier filters, hydrolock; suspension - harsher ride; etc.] I've never installed aftermarket camshafts, either, so I don't know what their downsides are (increased fuel consumption?). Increased valvetrain wear? Anything at all? Just curious as surely BMW would have done it themselves if it was 110% kosher. Figured I might as well be that guy.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #18
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I can't think of anything. It's not really a big change. We aren't changing the camshaft profile, so stuff like idle and fuel economy don't change. All of the valvetronic maps are target based (lift in mm), so once properly tuned the part throttle valve opening shouldn't change from stock (unless you adjust the targets).
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      02-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #19
justrokkit
Private
Rep
Drives: SGM E91 xDrive

Does this modification increase total air volume in the cylinder at detonation? If this is the case, then I'd imagine that the "increased cost" to the system might be at engine temperature regulation. I'm not versed in performance tuning, so I'm taking a guess. Hope you'll bear with me on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #20
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
TBH, I'm a little jealous of those of you with these installed - I've had mine for months (maybe the 1st batch?), and really owe Marty thanks (I should put up a free MILVs tune on Bimmerlabs.com), but here's my conundrum.. My E90 is the most reliable car I've ever owned. At 134k, it doesnt leak a drop from the top end (valve cover, OFH, PCV, head gasket - all bone dry - just looked a second ago). It's just so smooth and perfect - I just leave it be.

In my youth I would have approached this with reckless abandon, and swapped them in at 9pm on a dark tuesday night (probably on jackstands, in a gravel driveway, during a snowstorm - yes, I've been there), knowing I needed the car to get to work/school the next AM. Now, I have two spare cars and the E90 could be down for weeks without affecting my life, and I haven't made it happen.

Its not about time, parts, or ability.. I've had the valve cover gasket kit on my shelf somewhere since the day I bought this car (I read it was a problem - although neither of my ~100k N52s ever leaked). I could tune it myself in a hearbeat using (IMO) the best tools in the world. My young sons relish time spent in the garage (really gotta learn to stop saying "no" to them wanting to help).

Now that my E30 is a "toy" car; which is funnny because whenever a "reliable" car is down, the E30 is my go-to car for basic transport... I live and die by the rule "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Been burned a few times (like looking for a critical missing bolt at 2am in a snowstorm, *ahem*).

So here I am. A perfect, "high miles" (by some standards) 330i that i could add 10whp to for a $0 personal cost.. But I can't bring myself to do it. My only saving grace - two boys younger than 10 who believe my E30 is a "real" race car, waiting to be releashed from its cage one day again.

Run, don't walk - if you want a low cost mod (hell, even if you were paying shop rates on a VCG replacement), MILVs are the ticket. To those who have done it so far, may your balls of steel father many children.. Because most kids these days couldn't tell a screwdriver from a tampon dispenser.
Do you still have your track purposed e90?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #21
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
So just to play devil's advocate.. What would/could be the potential downside(s) of this mod? I'm not saying the MILVs aren't worth it. In fact I'd be all over these if I was out of warranty. But typically mods have some sort of downside, albeit small, associated with them. [i.e. exhaust - increased noise; intake - dirtier filters, hydrolock; suspension - harsher ride; etc.] I've never installed aftermarket camshafts, either, so I don't know what their downsides are (increased fuel consumption?). Increased valvetrain wear? Anything at all? Just curious as surely BMW would have done it themselves if it was 110% kosher. Figured I might as well be that guy.
I doubt they could tell if you had them installed
      02-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #22
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
I can't think of anything. It's not really a big change. We aren't changing the camshaft profile, so stuff like idle and fuel economy don't change. All of the valvetronic maps are target based (lift in mm), so once properly tuned the part throttle valve opening shouldn't change from stock (unless you adjust the targets).
I’ll echo your previous post. I have 84k, changed the VCG at 65 and the car is rock solid reliable, which says a lot considering it only sees track usage nowadays. But thought of prematurely replacing the gasket worries me. Last thing I want to do is miss a weekene event because I couldn’t stop modding lol.