E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Chief of Design Chris Bangle leaves BMW

02-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #45
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

I wrote about it (briefly) this morning - the news release hadn't come out and I had to confirm the story with BMW by phone. (article is here)

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #46
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | E30 M3 || '51 Ford F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
I wrote about it (briefly) this morning - the news release hadn't come out and I had to confirm the story with BMW by phone. (article is here)
thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #47
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
I liked Bangle's work. His replacement, van Hooydonk, has a lot of the same aesthetic tastes, so it's not like BMW is going back to Bauhaus boxy any time soon.
      02-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #48
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Let's welcome the new styling!!!
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #49
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Nods to Bangle---he did an exceptional job. As well, I am very fond of van Hooydonk. I read the interview with him in Bimmer magazine Feb 2009; he is a very optimistic and complimentary designer. I don't believe the design of BMW will become more conservative now, in fact I believe it will become more progressive. After all, van Hooydonk has been with BMW for many years, and his design elements are responsible for many a modern Bimmer.... compare the 6er with van Hooydonk's Z9 Gran Turismo concept car. Look familiar? Bottom line---he is quite a radical sort, so I expect more revolutionary and possibly controversial designs to emerge from BMW in the next 5 years.

Last edited by HermesRider; 02-03-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #50
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
dymanic and successful INSPITE of the design
you don't know how often i hear someone saying
i'd buy the 5,6,7 series if if wasn't so ugly
i've heard that about the 5, 6 and 7 series
the Z4 is the only car he designed that didn't look like it had a cancer tumour on its back
like the 6 series does
and the very shameful thing for the other manufacturers is they copy BMW blindly
notice the trunk on the Acura RL, or the new mercedes S class trunk
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #51
RMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
The 3 coups was AVH's baby... not sure about the 3 sedan.

btw, Armin and Tiesto are awesome... seen Armin in DC 2 years ago... great stuff
I have Dutch taste...what can I say (probably why I love this car so much ). The pic in my avatar was taken when he was here in Tampa back in August & I am rite up front (which is obviously hard to see).
      02-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #52
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
dymanic and successful INSPITE of the design
you don't know how often i hear someone saying
i'd buy the 5,6,7 series if if wasn't so ugly
i've heard that about the 5, 6 and 7 series
the Z4 is the only car he designed that didn't look like it had a cancer tumour on its back
like the 6 series does
and the very shameful thing for the other manufacturers is they copy BMW blindly
notice the trunk on the Acura RL, or the new mercedes S class trunk
Maybe it's in spite of, but I don't think it's necessarily so. Many cars that copied the BMW design are also quite successful, such as the S Class and LS from Lexus.

So many cars took this design direction in fact, that's it's hard to call it blind, IMHO. There are a lot of cars out there with the Bangle butt in some form or another, and I can appreciate not liking the look, but numbers don't lie...he's been very influential, copied, and successful.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #53
tinman
Registered
Rep
Drives: A different kind of M

Controversial BMW Designer Quits
By Richard S. Chang

Depending on whom you talk to, Christopher E. Bangle, head of BMW Group design, is either a forward thinker or a reckless design agitator. BMW announced his resignation on Tuesday, saying that the reason he quit was to pursue other interests in design outside the automotive field.
Chris BangleChristopher E. Bangle

“Christopher Bangle has had a lasting impact on the identity of BMW Group’s brands,” said Dr. Klaus Draeger, a board member of the BMW Group. “His contribution to the company’s success has been decisive, and together with his teams he has mapped out a clear and aesthetic route into the future.”

Mr. Bangle, 52, might be best known for his controversial redesign of the BMW 7 Series earlier in the decade, but he and his team were also responsible for the BMW roadsters Z3 and Z4 and the S.U.V.’s that have broadened the appeal of the brand over the last decade. He also oversaw developments of the new Mini and Rolls-Royce models and motorcycle concepts.

Adrian van Hooydonk, the head of BMW automobile design, will take over the position.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #54
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I think its time to Move On.. I like him to save the US Auto Makers Next!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #55
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Great news for BMW enthusiasts
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #56
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I'm sad to see Bangle leave. Fortunately, I think AVH is a more capable design leader when it comes down to the aesthetics themselves. I like his toned down version of Chris's flame surfacing language.

The e92 was overseen by AVH, but he didn't design the car directly.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #57
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkim88 View Post
I disagree.

Love him, hate him, but you got to respect him.

If multiple manufacturers copied his work like they did, then at least he was doing something right in their eyes.

Not everyone likes what he did, but I thought he gave the company a character and look that was distinctly BMW. And personally, I liked most of the things he did.

Think of it like this. So many musicians and artists where not given the respect they deserved, until they had passed on. And look at their work today.
Respect for the person's work and personally liking it are two different things. I certainly respect Bangle (although he did go to my alma mater's rival school ) and I respect his design integrity.

But I never liked his design philosophy of the automobile. I simply have a different automotive design sensibility.

As far as cars copying other car's designs, that has been happening throughout automotive history. Some companies do not emphasis original design very much in their own R+D and therefore assume some of the design cues by other (and more successful) manufacturers. The Japanese have historically been good at this. A case in point is their early Nikon 35mm rangefinder that was based on the German Zeiss Ikon; there are numerous examples.

BMW, Mercedes, etc., don't normally copy this way, but they also have been profitable and successful in their own right. And they have a stronger history of design (as do the Italians.)

As far as good sales numbers with the 7ers, that is quite true. Whether Bangle's design had much bearing on that, or whether it's because it's simply a very desirable and technologically advanced automobile, isn't certain.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #58
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I'd like to know who designed that Z4 or the e90/92... I know Chris didnt have any thing to do with it, except maybe put his stamp of approval on it..find that guy and promote him
and while we are at it, hunt down the guy that did the X3 and stone him
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #59
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
As much as I'll get chided for saying it, I'm sorry to see him go. He is a visionary and BMW was lucky to have him. Here's hoping for good things from van Hooydonk.
      02-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #60
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
According to World Car Fans, he designed the Z3, Z4, Z8, X5, X6, 6 Series, and the 1 Series. He also headed the 3er, 5er and 7er.

Sure, not all his designs were hits right away, and some are polarizing - you either love them or hate them, but look around the industry. He's easily one of the most influential designers of this century.
+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
I agree he has been very influential. The copying of design cue's from BMW's by other manufacturers is very obvious.

raised trunk lid on current S class - very 6 & 7 series
raised trunk lid of Camry - see above
tail lights of Camry - 5 series Being behind a Camry from a distance has fooled me into thinking it was a 5 series.
I've seen the Hofmeister Kink copied numerous times in some fashion

I've always been a fan of Bangle. The trend setters always get shit on, then when others copy, suddenly that style looks good.
+4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA View Post
I dont know I am sure there is someone on this forum who would be able to answer who designed what thru which years, etc...
Adrian and Chris Bangle worked together on the designs. Bangle has been with the company's design team ever since the E46 was released, which is why I find it silly that people criticize him so much (..because everybody loooovveesss the E46........"now!!"). I believe Adrian penned the 3, 5 and 7 series cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
Although it seems many on this forum are singing praises that Bangle is gone, many others are right in saying that the new head of design, Adrian van Hooydonk, has been working hand-in-hand with Bangle on BMW's design direction for years. One of BMW's most notable and polarizing "flame-surfaced" designs in the past 7 years was the Z4 roadster and coupe.

Guess who hand the primary hand in designing those cars? - you guessed it, Van Hooydonk.

So don't expect a massive change in BMW's design direction over the next 7 years. (Certainly no change as dramatic as the change in design from the pre-2002 to the post-2002 "banglized" 7 series and onward.)

Face it, BMW has pointed it's style in one direction and not much will change that. Van Hooydonk won't either.

Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Really? BMW had some of its best sales years every under his designs. The original E46 was also his design.

Like or not the 7 series was the best selling 7 BMW ever had.

Every time I see an S class or a Camry or Avalon all I can think about is how they copied the 7.

Some of his designs went a bit to far but they started a movement, it takes time for people to change and accept new things. But as you can see his designs have been copied by many competitors.
+4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
Bangle has been the head of BMW Design Development since 1992, just so you guys know.
Word!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #61
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Bangle has been the head of BMW Design Development since 1992, just so you guys know.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #62
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Christopher Bangle Hands Over His Post As Head Of Design At The Bmw Group To Adrian V

Quote:
CHRISTOPHER BANGLE HANDS OVER HIS POST AS HEAD OF DESIGN AT THE BMW GROUP TO ADRIAN VAN HOOYDONK IN ORDER TO EXPLORE OPPORTUNITIES OUTIDE THE BMW GROUP AND THE AUTO INDUSTRY
02/03/2009

Munich. Christopher E. Bangle, the BMW Group's Head of Design, has worked closely with Adrian van Hooydonk in BMW Group design development for nearly17 years. Now he is handing over his post to van Hooydonk, who is currently Head of BMW Automobile Design. "Christopher Bangle has had a lasting impact on the identity of BMW Group's brands. His contribution to the company's success has been decisive, and together with his teams he has mapped out a clear and aesthetic route into the future," said Dr Klaus Draeger, BMW AG's Board Member for Development. Dr Draeger went on to explain that the BMW Group was currently "in an excellent position", thanks to a broad portfolio of automobiles and several new vehicle concepts due for market launch in the coming months and years. The BMW AG Management Board, he added, is looking forward to working with van Hooydonk as Head of BMW Group Design - a man who shares Bangle's fascination for technology and aesthetics, tradition and innovation. Dr Draeger affirmed that van Hooydonk would be in a position to continue to build on a design philosophy, which extends across the BMW Group's brands. Bangle's plan to pursue his own design-related endeavours beyond the auto industry marks the start of a new phase in his life while maintaining strong ties with the BMW Group.
Over the years numerous designs for new vehicles and vehicle concepts have been developed under Christopher Bangle's leadership. As well as continuing the BMW 3, 5 and 7 Series, he and his teams were responsible for a range of other models, including the BMW Z3, BMW Z4, BMW X5, BMW Z8, BMW X3, the new BMW 6 Series, the BMW X6 and the BMW 1 Series. Other developments under the auspices of Christopher Bangle include the new MINI and Rolls-Royce models and a number of innovative motorcycle concepts. During his tenure, Christopher Bangle was also instrumental in making the company's consultancy subsidiary, BMW Group DesignworksUSA, what it is today: a global design agency in North America, Munich and Singapore for leading international brands and companies in a wide variety of industries.

Thanks to their outstanding design quality numerous products from all three of the BMW Group's automobile brands have won a host of renowned awards from around the world. Bangle has always had a special aptitude for working with his teams to strengthen the identities and unmistakable images of the BMW Group's brands and to inspire design innovations, said Dr Draeger, Board Member for Development. Over the years he has received a dozen patents for his technical applications and design. These, along with the one hundred additional patents awarded to the BMW Group Design under Bangle's auspices, are a testimony to his creative and innovative power.

Born in the USA, Christopher Bangle, aged 52, has been Head of BMW Group Design Development since October 1992. After studying at the University of Wisconsin and the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, he began his working life in Rüsselsheim, where he worked for Adam Opel AG. In 1985 he joined FIAT, where he became Director of the FIAT Centro Stile in 1992. Shortly afterwards he left the Italian automaker to come to Munich.

Throughout his career with the BMW Group Bangle's right-hand man has been Adrian van Hooydonk, who is now set to become his successor. He described van Hooydonk as "truly a top professional in our business," adding, "I am sure that the many strong design strategies he has helped us create for the BMW Group will continue to develop and evolve."

Adrian van Hooydonk, aged 44, will take over as Director of BMW Group Design with immediate effect. In his new position he will be responsible for design development for the BMW, Rolls-Royce and MINI brands. Born in the Netherlands, van Hooydonk studied at Delft Polytechnic University in Holland and later at the Art Center Europe in Vevey, Switzerland, until 1992. From there he came to Munich, where he joined BMW as a designer. In the year 2000 he went to California to work for the BMW Group subsidiary Designworks USA. He was Director of the internationally renowned design agency from 2001 to 2004. Then, under Bangle as the BMW Group's Head of Design, he became Head of the Brand Design Studio for BMW Automobiles.

The BMW 6 Series and 7 Series lines clearly bear the hallmark of van Hooydonk's design influence, as do the Z9 Concept Car, the BMW Concept CS (unveiled in 2007) and the M1 Hommage Study. In 1997 van Hooydonk created the ACV 30 Show Car for MINI and more recently he and his team have developed the designs for the new BMW 7 Series and Z4 as well as for the Concept Progressive Activity Sedan, which celebrates its premiere at the Geneva Auto Show in early March 2009.

"I am honoured and extremely excited to take on this new responsibility", says van Hooydonk. "BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce produce the best cars and motorcycles in their segment, and I am really looking forward to being able to contribute to the future development of these brands." Speaking of his hopes for the years to come, van Hooydonk added: "I have no doubt that there are challenges ahead, but BMW's depth in engineering and the passion of its talented design team are as strong as ever. Together I am sure we will be able to create some very sophisticated and extremely attractive concepts."
      02-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #63
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uthatch View Post
Maybe it's in spite of, but I don't think it's necessarily so. Many cars that copied the BMW design are also quite successful, such as the S Class and LS from Lexus.

So many cars took this design direction in fact, that's it's hard to call it blind, IMHO. There are a lot of cars out there with the Bangle butt in some form or another, and I can appreciate not liking the look, but numbers don't lie...he's been very influential, copied, and successful.
S class has always been succesful and always will be
its the first car people get when they want to show they have money
ask any CEO what he drives and probably the number one car they all drive is the S class, so the styling is not that important as much as the snob appeal

LS i am not sure how succesful it is
i don't see too many of them on the street

and while he was copied
i think anything that BMW does is copied whether right or wrong
and name another designer that got so much bad press as bangle did

people actually made a petition to get rid of him
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ned.cgi?STOPCB

and wait and see
BMW will continue to grow with or without bangle
i don't think he was the reason they overtook MB on sales as much as the fact that they make great cars
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #64
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Allow me to summarize for those that don't know.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
According to World Car Fans, he designed the Z3, Z4, Z8, X5, X6, 6 Series, and the 1 Series. He also headed the 3er, 5er and 7er.

Sure, not all his designs were hits right away, and some are polarizing - you either love them or hate them, but look around the industry. He's easily one of the most influential designers of this century.
+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
I agree he has been very influential. The copying of design cue's from BMW's by other manufacturers is very obvious.

raised trunk lid on current S class - very 6 & 7 series
raised trunk lid of Camry - see above
tail lights of Camry - 5 series Being behind a Camry from a distance has fooled me into thinking it was a 5 series.
I've seen the Hofmeister Kink copied numerous times in some fashion

I've always been a fan of Bangle. The trend setters always get shit on, then when others copy, suddenly that style looks good.
+4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA View Post
I dont know I am sure there is someone on this forum who would be able to answer who designed what thru which years, etc...
Adrian and Chris Bangle worked together on the designs. Bangle has been with the company's design team ever since the E46 was released, which is why I find it silly that people criticize him so much (..because everybody loooovveesss the E46........"now!!"). I believe Adrian penned the 3, 5 and 7 series cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
Although it seems many on this forum are singing praises that Bangle is gone, many others are right in saying that the new head of design, Adrian van Hooydonk, has been working hand-in-hand with Bangle on BMW's design direction for years. One of BMW's most notable and polarizing "flame-surfaced" designs in the past 7 years was the Z4 roadster and coupe.

Guess who hand the primary hand in designing those cars? - you guessed it, Van Hooydonk.

So don't expect a massive change in BMW's design direction over the next 7 years. (Certainly no change as dramatic as the change in design from the pre-2002 to the post-2002 "banglized" 7 series and onward.)

Face it, BMW has pointed it's style in one direction and not much will change that. Van Hooydonk won't either.

Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Really? BMW had some of its best sales years every under his designs. The original E46 was also his design.

Like or not the 7 series was the best selling 7 BMW ever had.

Every time I see an S class or a Camry or Avalon all I can think about is how they copied the 7.

Some of his designs went a bit to far but they started a movement, it takes time for people to change and accept new things. But as you can see his designs have been copied by many competitors.
+4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
Word!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #65
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i gonna miss him..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #66
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
S class has always been succesful and always will be
its the first car people get when they want to show they have money
ask any CEO what he drives and probably the number one car they all drive is the S class, so the styling is not that important as much as the snob appeal

LS i am not sure how succesful it is
i don't see too many of them on the street

and while he was copied
i think anything that BMW does is copied whether right or wrong
and name another designer that got so much bad press as bangle did

people actually made a petition to get rid of him
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ned.cgi?STOPCB

and wait and see
BMW will continue to grow with or without bangle
i don't think he was the reason they overtook MB on sales as much as the fact that they make great cars

With that logic the Roman Empire should never have toppled either. Just because the S has been successful, doesn't mean it's destined to remain so. Look at GM in the 1950's; would anyone have guessed they would be where they are now at that time?

And the LS is successful. It has outsold the S Class on occasion and there are plenty of them in LA, so if the S is the bar...

And you're right, BMW will be just fine without Bangle. I guess I'm just in the crowd that thinks the guy is more genius than given credit for.
Appreciate 0