E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Changing brake pads, good mechanic needed

06-22-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Changing brake pads, good mechanic needed

Hi, just ordered new front brake pads/sensors for my car after many of you guys recommended http://www.bmminiparts.com/, thanks for that. Now need somone who can put them on my car when receive them, any suggestions of a good mechanic in the Sydney area who could fit them will be appreciated, is my first attempt at doing things without the dealership
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
Hi, just ordered new front brake pads/sensors for my car after many of you guys recommended http://www.bmminiparts.com/, thanks for that. Now need somone who can put them on my car when receive them, any suggestions of a good mechanic in the Sydney area who could fit them will be appreciated, is my first attempt at doing things without the dealership
I've used Midas at Waterloo, they did change ownership but the new guy did as good a job as the old owners.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
I've used Midas at Waterloo, they did change ownership but the new guy did as good a job as the old owners.
Thanks for the tip WOPALX, appreciate that, will give him a call
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
benaud
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 320i

hey cruvon, can you post the part numbers, and what did the delivery cost?
      06-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benaud View Post
hey cruvon, can you post the part numbers, and what did the delivery cost?
Hi Benaud

here are the parts they said were needed(note that parts are VIN number specific so quote your VIN number and email them with these part numbers to confirm before you order)

Description: 81 22 9407103 - BRAKE PAD PASTE, 5,5ML

Description: 34 11 6769951 - REPAIR KIT, BRAKE PADS ASBESTOS-FREE, TEXTAR 4190

Description: 34 35 6762252 - BRAKE PAD WEAR SENSOR

Total Inc VAT: 87.28 Pounds

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
ericming
Rep
Drives: E92 323i

May I ask how many kms your car have been run? I think I'm about to replace my brake pad too. How much did Midas charge ?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericming View Post
May I ask how many kms your car have been run? I think I'm about to replace my brake pad too. How much did Midas charge ?

Just spoke to the guy at MIDAS that WOPALX suggested, thanks WOPALX, is $80 to fit it so in total ($80AUD+87Pounds) is much lesser in total to the $550 the dealership wanted). My cars done little over 37,000kms
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Mine just clicked over 40,000km and I'm still on the original pads

Don't you just love dodging the heinous BMW charges... gives me a warm fuzzy feeling
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
benaud
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 320i

Mines done 42k and the iDrive says about 15k on the front and 18k on the rear to go.
      06-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benaud View Post
Mines done 42k and the iDrive says about 15k on the front and 18k on the rear to go.
cool, 3 months ago I was told I had 10,000 on mine when serviced the car, I think is 2-3K from then now and my indicator says front pads need replacement, not sure how accurate that kms left reading is or maybe my mostly normal stop and start city driving is killing the pads faster

Last edited by cruvon; 06-22-2010 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
Just spoke to the guy at MIDAS that WOPALX suggested, thanks WOPALX, is $80 to fit it so in total ($80AUD+87Pounds) is much lesser in total to the $550 the dealership wanted). My cars done little over 37,000kms
Yep they are pretty good price wise.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Mine just clicked over 40,000km and I'm still on the original pads
Do a couple of track days each year and you'll fix that problem
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
GK X
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 (ex E92)

If you are going to import aftermarket pads rather than original equipment you may as well buy BENDIX from Repco/Bursons/Coventrys etc in Australia. They have Bendix GCT which is a "dustless" material or Bendix Ultimate which is a BMW 5 series material (and hence will get some dust). Bendix is owned by the company that supplies most of BMW's brake pads as original equipment so your getting something a lot closer to the mark than Textar.

www.bendix.com.au
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #14
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK X View Post
If you are going to import aftermarket pads rather than original equipment you may as well buy BENDIX from Repco/Bursons/Coventrys etc in Australia. They have Bendix GCT which is a "dustless" material or Bendix Ultimate which is a BMW 5 series material (and hence will get some dust). Bendix is owned by the company that supplies most of BMW's brake pads as original equipment so your getting something a lot closer to the mark than Textar.

www.bendix.com.au
Mmm correct me if I am wrong, but Textar are an OEM part supplier to BMW, thus Textar would be closer to OEM than Bendix (who is a subsidiary of Mintex, another OEM supplier to BMW).. Bendix will be producing pads to size, using a standard compound, whereas Textar would be producing pads to size & spec, as per BMW's part specification guide? (Not to mention BMW tolerances)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
GK X
Registered
Rep

Yes Suff, you are incorrect. Honeywell the makers of Bendix supply OE brake pads to BMW. Looks like they supply OE pads to Bentley, Merc, Audi, Maserati too. Doesn't leave a lot of room for Textar.

http://www.proved-highquality-brakep...homologations/
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 01:09 AM   #16
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Yes Suff, you are incorrect. Honeywell the makers of Bendix supply OE brake pads to BMW. Looks like they supply OE pads to Bentley, Merc, Audi, Maserati too. Doesn't leave a lot of room for Textar.

http://www.proved-highquality-brakep...homologations/
Your point? Are you saying that Textar not OEM supplier? Its like saying a motherboard branded Foxconn is as good as an OEM Intel board.. just because the parent company makes a part does not mean they are made to a uniform level.

Bendix make many different compounds, and BENDIX are not an OEM supplier to BMW (AFAIK), their parent company however does. I have now doubt that in an attempt to minimise R&D costs, some compounds would be shared across brands, but it would be a bold, and somewaht foolish statement to assume that Bendix GCT is a "like for like" compound to BMW's OEM Pads (irrespective of who supplied them!)

Point in case, the OEM pads for E9X are known to dust like all hell, yet your comment specifically states that the GCT's for the same E9X are dustless.. so pray, do tell.. how are these the same compound?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #17
GK X
Registered
Rep

Suff the point is that you have completed missed the point!

To summarise:

* BMW owner goes to a lot of effort to purchase non Original Equipment parts from overseas.
* GK X states that if you are not going to fit Original Equipment you can purchase aftermarket parts locally eg. Bendix (from your local mechanic)
* Suff misleads forum by stating that TEXTAR is the OE brake supplier to BMW
* GK X offers correct information ie. Honeywell the makers of Bendix supply OE brake pads to BMW (according to web link)

Re compounds this comment was made by GK X "They have Bendix GCT which is a "dustless" material or Bendix Ultimate which is a BMW 5 series material (and hence will get some dust)"

Incidentally, for interest only, my E92 had very little dust whereas my X5 has significantly more. Different compounds? Most likely.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #18
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Further to this - GK X (or anyone else) - how do the OEM BMW pads compare to Bendix Ultimates for E9X?

I realise this may not be relevant, but Bendix Ultimates weren't the greatest on Subarus in my (limited) experience whereas I'm pretty happy with the OEM pads on our cars.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #19
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Suff the point is that you have completed missed the point!

To summarise:

* BMW owner goes to a lot of effort to purchase non Original Equipment parts from overseas.
* GK X states that if you are not going to fit Original Equipment you can purchase aftermarket parts locally eg. Bendix (from your local mechanic)
* Suff misleads forum by stating that TEXTAR is the OE brake supplier to BMW
* GK X offers correct information ie. Honeywell the makers of Bendix supply OE brake pads to BMW (according to web link)

Re compounds this comment was made by GK X "They have Bendix GCT which is a "dustless" material or Bendix Ultimate which is a BMW 5 series material (and hence will get some dust)"

Incidentally, for interest only, my E92 had very little dust whereas my X5 has significantly more. Different compounds? Most likely.
This is all well and good but at the end of the day this type of buyer only has a few questions:

- how is clicking a mouse and pushing a few buttons on the keyboard going to a lot of effort? I for one have bought many things from overseas with LESS effort than actually buying from a store in Australia.
- the price of the replacement parts
- how does it compare to oem, close enough is more than likely ok
- cost of these locally supplied components vs overseas. So far there have been posts about oem quality and who supplies to BMW etc but what is the price?

The op got a significant saving, without going to a lot of effort, is happy with stated performance and cost. Exchange rate with uk at the moment is actually making a lot of items cheaper to buy from there compared to USA.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #20
3seriesguy
3seriesguy
Australia
Rep
Drives: e46 330 sedan

I can tell you why its easier - if you buy Bendix you don't have to look for a mechanic to fit the pads you ordered on line!!!

I have an E46 330 and I converted to aftermarket because I was sick and tired of being ripped off by Bib "Steal" well. Never looked back really. Tried Bendix GCT first and loved driving around with clean wheels for a change. This time around (3 weeks ago) I put on Bendix Ultimates at the front and I am still running GCT's on the back. Let me tell you the Ultimates are just like the OE pads I used to pay truckloads for at the stealership. But the dreaded brake dust has returned, certainly no worse than OE that's for sure. Interesting to see my car with clean rear wheels and dustier fronts. Still I think I prefer the performance and will put up with the dust (at least until I tire of cleaning).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:16 AM   #21
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I think OEM ordered from overseas is the way to go. I bought front and rear pads and front and rear sensors recently from the US. All up just over $300 delivered. How much do bendex pads go for?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #22
prestigeonly
Rep
Drives: e92 335i indv.

I too used Bendix Ultimates for a while there, but i noticed they wore my disc's out quicker than the OE ones. Pretty much only stick to OE now for that reason.
Appreciate 0