E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > which IC

12-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #45
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
FYI the Helix is fully exposed and takes up the entire lower bumper opening, it is not in any way blocked by the front bumper. Also the helix only blocks the lowest 2.5" of the radiator and withover 300 units sold and on the road we have never had 1 complaint of any adverse effects on the cars cooling system and these units are in use on cars that regularly see the road course and endurance racing events! Lastly our custom core features rounded bullnose bars that allow less resistance as the ambient air enters the core through to the radiator.
You're either a horrible liar or completely blind if you think that fmic is fully exposed. I've seen countless of pictures that prove for a fact that the upper section for the Helix and other tall FMIC's aren't exposed due to being blocked by the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #46
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
For intercoolers like the HPF, Forge and others that use the OEM charge pipe and C-clip junctions, I'm curious if there is any credence to the theory of restriction, turbulence or inefficiencies by using the factory accordion joints and reduced diameter of the interconnects.

A good number of E9x-purposed intercooler kits eliminate these factory charge pipe connections through their own interconnects. The ETS 5" FMIC, albeit on the small side, promotes the elimination of those areas of "restriction" by changing the angle of the cold-side outlet and including its own aluminum charge pipe.

I know it's optional, but I'm curious why HPF chose to retain the OEM charge pipe interconnects if those areas are indeed restrictive or inefficient.
We do have a larger unit that will be released next month. We have been asked to build a 7" unit from several customers... ask and you shall receive! The new 7" will be available next month!

Thanks!

Michael
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #47
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For intercoolers like the HPF, Forge and others that use the OEM charge pipe and C-clip junctions, I'm curious if there is any credence to the theory of restriction, turbulence or inefficiencies by using the factory accordion joints and reduced diameter of the interconnects.

A good number of E9x-purposed intercooler kits eliminate these factory charge pipe connections through their own interconnects. The ETS 5" FMIC, albeit on the small side, promotes the elimination of those areas of "restriction" by changing the angle of the cold-side outlet and including its own aluminum charge pipe.

I know it's optional, but I'm curious why HPF chose to retain the OEM charge pipe interconnects if those areas are indeed restrictive or inefficient.
It's usually cheaper to include a new pipe setup than to reuse the existing connectors like the HPF. That's why most shops change it up.

I prefer the OEM setup because Installation is a lot easier since you don't have to worry about irreversibly modifying your OEM piping or going through the hassle of installing a new cold side pipe which is a bit of a pain to get in & out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #48
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieira24 View Post
99% of the shops who claim these are a bottle neck do so because producing two new billet aluminum connectors costs them too much. Using conventional bead rolled tubes & couplers are cheaper and easier for them to manufacturer.

Installation is also cut in half when you don't have to worry about irreversibly modifying your OEM piping or going through the hassle of installing a new cold side pipe.
The problem we found with the OEM connectors is the inlet/outlet size.. The inlet/outlet size on the OEM connectors are less then 2.0"

We could make a larger OEM style connector, but no point in reinventing the wheel since the traditional style beaded inlet and outlet with t-bolt clamp works perfectly fine.

Thanks!

Michael
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #49
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
The problem we found with the OEM connectors is the inlet/outlet size.. The inlet/outlet size on the OEM connectors are less then 2.0"

We could make a larger OEM style connector, but no point in reinventing the wheel since the traditional style beaded inlet and outlet with t-bolt clamp works perfectly fine.

Thanks!

Michael
You guys should dyno the difference between stock coupler joints vs the beaded setup on a modded car. I can't imagine the gains will be noticeable at stock power levels but if the difference is substantial enough to warrant the trouble I'd consider changing it up to the beaded pipe style.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #50
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
thanks for all inputs i will go for HPF
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #51
Topless///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt, 94 probe gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless///M View Post
I agree and think the HPF, Helix, and AMS units are the best, but I'm glad I chose the Helix as it's taller and fits the lower grill area perfectly. The top of it ends right where no more air can get to it when looking up closely in that grill area. Yeah, the entire face is not blocked as some think, the top is still exposed to air just not as much as the mid section. If anything the bottom charge row is blocked a little like all others.
Quote:
You're either a horrible liar or completely blind if you think that fmic is fully exposed. I've seen countless of pictures that prove for a fact that the upper section for the Helix and other tall FMIC's aren't exposed due to being blocked by the bumper.
Not true, I installed my Helix and got down on my knees several times to look in the lower grill area to see what was actually exposed to the ambient air, and if anything, the lowest row is blocked, but the top is fully exposed just not as direct as the mid section of the face. Once I dig myself out of my house from the 2' of snow, I'll try to snap a good shot of that area.

TT- that pic doesn't do you any justice and makes it seem like you're BS'ing when youre not, with no bumper installed there. Hopefully I can help ya out soon, freaking snow...Maybe some cars are different, but my top row is exposed just not as direct as the mid section.
      12-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #52
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
The upper section of the helix is fully exposed in the bumper opening as it comes to right under the metal bumper!

Here is an n54 with front end on!

Here is our fmic on an n55 with the front clip off, the fmic stops right under the metal bumper on n54 and n55!

Last edited by TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management; 12-27-2010 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #53
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:

HPF said it would be too costly to modify bc these stock turbos cannot produce that much power. There is no need bc you dont need that much power....yet. As you upgrade more and more you will find that the turbos are the "bottleneck" in the power. When you upgrade the turbos they have a stage 2 kit you can buy which replaces all of the OEM pipe interconnections...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=343291&page=5

You can sift through the pages here if you want, there are numerous pages that explains this concept.
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #54
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You guys should dyno the difference between stock coupler joints vs the beaded setup on a modded car. I can't imagine the gains will be noticeable at stock power levels but if the difference is substantial enough to warrant the trouble I'd consider changing it up to the beaded pipe style.
+1, Thank you for having some sense. Yes I do agree that they seem a bit small but, but there is no boost leak with using the factory connections(which is huge IMO) and is anyone over 600whp yet so this extra volume would actually be utilized?!?
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #55
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The upper section of the helix is fully exposed in the bumper opening as it comes to right under the metal bumper!

Here is an n54 with front end on!

Here is our fmic on an n55 with the front clip off, the fmic stops right under the metal bumper on n54 and n55!
Ok instead of visually looking at the front bumper trying to deem whether this fmic will be fully exposed, Lets make it simple and do some measurements. How tall is your IC from top to bottom(frontal area ofcourse). I will go outside and measure my FACTORY front spoiler and see how they compare. I can assure you that the fmic will be bigger than that gap. I understand that MOST of it will be exposed but I believe that HPF's design where you have a shorter frontal face will perform better, especially at higher speeds where more of my frontal plate will be exposed to DIRECT air.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #56
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn999 View Post
Ok instead of visually looking at the front bumper trying to deem whether this fmic will be fully exposed, Lets make it simple and do some measurements. How tall is your IC from top to bottom(frontal area ofcourse). I will go outside and measure my FACTORY front spoiler and see how they compare. I can assure you that the fmic will be bigger than that gap. I understand that MOST of it will be exposed but I believe that HPF's design where you have a shorter frontal face will perform better, especially at higher speeds where more of my frontal plate will be exposed to DIRECT air.
Ok this is easy, the helix is 2.5" taller than stock/HPF as it sits in the car!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #57
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn999 View Post
The frontal face and the 1st 1/3 of the core thickness, is the part of the intercooler that does most of the cooling in the core! As I have said the upper section on the helix is exposed(go outside and see if 2.5 more inches is exposed above your HPF) the helix face is 56% larger than stock or stock height replacements!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #58
Fernflex
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: E92 Crimson Red 335i

I love my helix, the only complain is the weight of the fmic.

Burger Tuning, Evolution Racewerks and VRFS in Puerto Rico...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #59
edo
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
No trimming necessary on the helix
That is not true. Unless you've changed the desing of it during the last 2 years.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #60
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernflex View Post
An intercooler is a heat sink the more mass the ic has the longer it can hold off ait temp rise! You want a heavy heat sink in a front mount with a large frontal ambient face to keep the mass cool
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #61
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernflex View Post
how much it weights in kg?
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #62
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
That is not true. Unless you've changed the desing of it during the last 2 years.
Our newest design(last summer) requires 0 trimming on the 335i!

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #63
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The frontal face and the 1st 1/3 of the core thickness, is the part of the intercooler that does most of the cooling in the core! As I have said the upper section on the helix is exposed(go outside and see if 2.5 more inches is exposed above your HPF) the helix face is 56% larger than stock or stock height replacements!
I agree with you here, the back section is to retard heat soak. I am simply saying that I dont think the whole face is being utilized, this would be only measurable with an infrared sensor and/or wind tunnel. I am going outside to look now.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #64
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Our newest design(last summer) requires 0 trimming on the 335i!

Your end tanks look a whole lot better in this design.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #65
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Quote:
FYI the Helix is fully exposed and takes up the entire lower bumper opening, it is not in any way blocked by the front bumper. Also the helix only blocks the lowest 2.5" of the radiator and withover 300 units sold and on the road we have never had 1 complaint of any adverse effects on the cars cooling system and these units are in use on cars that regularly see the road course and endurance racing events! Lastly our custom core features rounded bullnose bars that allow less resistance as the ambient air enters the core through to the radiator.
The helix is not fully exposed... At all.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #66
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by **335i** View Post
thanks for all inputs i will go for HPF