E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Eibach Pro Dampers - Is anyone running these shocks?

01-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Eibach Pro Dampers - Is anyone running these shocks?

There isn't to much on here about the Eibach Pro Dampers. From what I understand they are made by Sachs.

I am buying the Eibach Pro Kit Springs and I am considering the Koni FSD's (which I know a lot of people have) and the Eibach Dampers. Eibach says these dampers were specifically designed to go with the Eibach Pro Kit Springs.

I have read a couple of reports that the Koni FSD's tend to let the rear of the car bounce a little more when going over a rolling bump at speed, so I am wondering if the Eibach dampers react the same way.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
vlm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: this and that

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
FWIW, I ran these as part of the Eibach Pro-System on my A3. From a daily driver standpoint, I thought they were a great upgrade from the stock sport (S-line) Audi setup. That said, they weren't track material. Based on my experience, they were certainly closer to the comfort end of the spectrum.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlm7 View Post
FWIW, I ran these as part of the Eibach Pro-System on my A3. From a daily driver standpoint, I thought they were a great upgrade from the stock sport (S-line) Audi setup. That said, they weren't track material. Based on my experience, they were certainly closer to the comfort end of the spectrum.
I apprecaite the feedback.

I suspected they were more geared for comfort than tracking as the Eibach Pro Kit springs also tend to be on the softer side. I don't track my car, but I am looking to improve the handling and conservatively lower it. My e90 has the base suspension, so I have to believe the Eibach Pro springs paired with either the Eibach dampers or Koni FSD shocks would be a dramatic improvement while still maintaining the comfort for being a daily driver.

For whatever reason people don't seem to be buying the Eibach dampers, but instead buy the Koni's. The Eibachs are made by Sachs the same company that manufacturers the OEM shocks, so I imagine they are great quality. Just not sure how their temperment is compared to say the Koni FSD's.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
vlm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: this and that

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I can't speak for FSD's for the E9X or for the A3 from first hand experience, but the reasons why I went with the Eibach dampers as part of the Pro-System rather than FSD's for my A3 were 2-fold: 1) the Pro-System also comes with matched bump stops, so no need to mess around with shaving your stock ones, and 2) some A3 and GTI owners reported unpredictable FSD behavior and bouncy behavior on large dips.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=vlm7;8775778]I can't speak for FSD's for the E9X or for the A3 from first hand experience, but the reasons why I went with the Eibach dampers as part of the Pro-System rather than FSD's for my A3 were 2-fold: 1) the Pro-System also comes with matched bump stops, so no need to mess around with shaving your stock ones, and 2) some A3 and GTI owners reported unpredictable FSD behavior and bouncy behavior on large dips.[/QUOTE]

I heard of a couple of similar reports from e90 owners, although most appear to be very happy. The behavior reported wasn't so much unpredictable as it was when someone would take a dip at speed the spring would compress, come back up and slightly compress again before settling. The last compression was described as being very mild. You did not feel this at all with the Eibachs?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlm7 View Post
and 2) some A3 and GTI owners reported unpredictable FSD behavior and bouncy behavior on large dips.
Its true for BMW also, I had EPK/FSD and did notice that at times, and its kinda embarrassing when you have ppl in the car.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Its true for BMW also, I had EPK/FSD and did notice that at times, and its kinda embarrassing when you have ppl in the car.
Yes I have heard of a few instances and as a matter of fact I think I read a post by you once. That said, I have read more posts by owners of BMW's and other cars that have not experienced this issue or if they did they said it was so mild that it was hardly noticeable. Just wish I could test them before I buy.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
07_335i_AW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I was wondering the same thin because they are like $2-300 less than the Koni's. I am surprised that more people haven't tried them out. I love the h&R sport springs stance, and I was wondering just yesterday if there pro-dampners would work with them since it states they are for the pro-kit and sportlines only.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Will the real Eibach owner won't you please stand up?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
i have had the eibach sport system plus on my 325 for three months now. i can not compare it to anything except stock sport suspension. the ride is not much different then sport as far as bumps, but there is more front to back wobble, as you would get with a lowered car, so dips are more noticeable, and around here on the highways sometimes violent. it keeps its composure well in high speed turns while hitting bumps and dips, i have never experienced any thing like bouncing in the rear. and they are sachs and do not come with bumpstops, i had called eibach and was told it was designed to be used with stock bumpstops, witch doesnt make sense to me because i would imagine that sport and standard would have different bump stops. i bought the old performance suspension and used all the harware, then sold the prf dampers with my used parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
i have had the eibach sport system plus on my 325 for three months now. i can not compare it to anything except stock sport suspension. the ride is not much different then sport as far as bumps, but there is more front to back wobble, as you would get with a lowered car, so dips are more noticeable, and around here on the highways sometimes violent. it keeps its composure well in high speed turns while hitting bumps and dips, i have never experienced any thing like bouncing in the rear. and they are sachs and do not come with bumpstops, i had called eibach and was told it was designed to be used with stock bumpstops, witch doesnt make sense to me because i would imagine that sport and standard would have different bump stops. i bought the old performance suspension and used all the harware, then sold the prf dampers with my used parts.
Thank you for the review.

Would you mind elaborating a bit more about this front to back wobble you describe?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

go with the eibach pro and Koni Yellow set up. its what I am running and its perfect. the yellows really improve the ride quality as well.

I would highly recommend this. best shock option by far.
      01-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlew View Post
go with the eibach pro and Koni Yellow set up. its what I am running and its perfect. the yellows really improve the ride quality as well.

I would highly recommend this. best shock option by far.
Thanks for the advise. I have considered Yellows, but the only reason I was going to rule them out was because I heard they ride a bit harsh esp over bumps whereas the FSD really adjust to the road well, exception being dips at high-speed where I guess a few have reported them being slightly bouncy. I am 37 yr old with two kids so I am looking to keep it comfortable yet sporty.

Can you describe your ride a bit more? Are the shocks compliant when taking dips at speed, rough roads etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
when i say front to back wobble i mean, when you hit a dip the front rebounds and returns to the original position before the rear hits the dip. so the car dives down in the front first and then the back instead of feeling like the car hits the dip at the same time, as you would get with a comfortable suspension. now i cant tell you if this effect comes from the springs or dampers or both, maybe someone else can. in my opinion i would also go with the koni yellows or bilstien sports, there quality is unsurpassed, but the eibach dampers are at the least oem quality.

Last edited by brocklanders; 01-29-2011 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
when i say front to back wobble i mean, when you hit a dip the front rebounds and returns to the original position before the rear hits the dip. so your cars dives down in the front first and then the back instead of feeling like the car hits the dip at the same time, as you would get with a comfortable suspension. now i cant tell you if this effect comes from the springs or dampers or both, maybe someone else can. in my opinion i would also go with the koni yellows or bilstien sports, in my opinion there quality is unsurpassed, but the eibach dampers are at the least oem quality.
Does the Eibach Sport System Plus kit come with Eibach Pro Kit Springs and Eibach Pro Dampers? I thought they were sport line springs and dampers, no?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
yes the sport system plus is the sportline springs, dampers and swaybars. i prefer the sportlines higher spring rate over the pro kit. if you ask me from photos ive seen the drop is very similar.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #18
mp7
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 328i

Quote:
do not come with bumpstops, i had called eibach and was told it was designed to be used with stock bumpstops, witch doesnt make sense to me because i would imagine that sport and standard would have different bump stops. i bought the old performance suspension and used all the harware, then sold the prf dampers with my used parts.
I just got this kit from tirerack (only springs/shocks) and like you said there were no bump stops included. The picture on the box and tireracks website shows the dampers with yellow bump stops. I called eibach and tirerack but tech support was gone for the weekend. Did you just end up using stock bump stops and is there any difference between stock bump stops (sport vs non sport)?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
Hind
///Mmmm
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 135i

Garage List
so.. Eibach Dampers > Koni FSD > Koni Yellows?
PDC Flickr YouTube
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #20
2jzbmw
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: e90

Eibach R2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Will the real Eibach owner won't you please stand up?
I have a full set of Eibach R2's with camber plates and front and rear sway bars in transit atm, I will post review when i finally get them. (R2's are the next step up from the pro dampner kit complete with remote resivours for seperate rebound adjustment)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #21
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Id love a set of R1s but I cant afford them at this point, but please review the R2s as it might inspire me to wait rather than get Yellows and pair them with my BMW Perf springs.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #22
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Subscribed. I'm interested in the comparison of the Eibach Pro Dampers vs. Koni FSDs when paired with Eibach Pro-Kit springs.
Appreciate 0