E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Crank No Start - Fueling issue?

01-13-2019, 11:05 PM   #1
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Crank No Start - Fueling issue?

Ran in to an issue starting my car today. Some background, it is a track only car, it's been sitting for quite a while in the garage. The last time it ran was probably about 3 weeks ago. Full tank of gas.

First thing I checked was the battery voltage. It's 12.2 when I'm not cranking and 10.6 while the engine cranks. OEM battery that's pushing 3 years old. I will get a more thorough battery tester and see what the CCA reads but my initial impression is this is not the issue.

So I hook up MHD and read the fuel rail pressure as well as LPFP pressure.

Fuel rail pressure is ZERO (0!) LPFP pressure like, 3 psi. Obviously this seems low. The fuel pump does prime when I open the door. The fuse (Fuse 70, 20A) is not blown and I tested it on a DMM, it's good.

So I'm guessing a fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump module, or LPFP issue.

I would test for voltage at the fuel pump, but it is priming, so I'm not sure that will tell me anything new. I could also test the module, but I'm not getting any codes related to this at all.

The regulator is due for replacement anyway but I wanted to get some input before I throw parts at this.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Update: Learn from my stupidity!

When I installed my roll bar, I unplugged the fuel pump module so I wouldn't nick any of the wires. I failed to reconnect this plug.

So it was the fuel pump module. Which I unplugged.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
jpcz87
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Oh thank god that wasn't bad! Mine had no crank start and I replaced the starter but someone that was helping me broke the oil return pipe to the oil pan by mistake and now I don't know what to do...
Appreciate 0