E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New Front Arms or Bush Removal Tool and New Bushes?

05-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

New Front Arms or Bush Removal Tool and New Bushes?

Hi All,

So, popped the front wishbone arms off and the Bush is definitely gone, but I'm just wondering would it be okay to replace just the bushes? The "ball joint" if that's what its referred as (the pivot section that goes into the hub) moves freely, not falling by itself or anything but not exactly hard so I'm.just wondering whether to buy new arms or good bushes and a Bush removal tool?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Hi All,

So, popped the front wishbone arms off and the Bush is definitely gone, but I'm just wondering would it be okay to replace just the bushes? The "ball joint" if that's what its referred as (the pivot section that goes into the hub) moves freely, not falling by itself or anything but not exactly hard so I'm.just wondering whether to buy new arms or good bushes and a Bush removal tool?

Cheers.
Literally just went through this myself! Whilst you can do the bushes, you might as well do the whole arm as it will come with new bushes and ball joint etc.... Saves faffing about replacing bushes only to find the ball joint fails later.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
Literally just went through this myself! Whilst you can do the bushes, you might as well do the whole arm as it will come with new bushes and ball joint etc.... Saves faffing about replacing bushes only to find the ball joint fails later.
Yeah I expected that answer to be honest, I just really wanted the removal tool as it could save money down the line and I could possibly pull the bearings as the speed sensor cant read the little magnetic bits.. just my look that the replacement hub I purchased with the wheel bearing in had a scuff in it so that was no good either Haha.. but I dont want to spend all that time putting in new bushes just for those ball joints to fail later so makes sense, I'll order all new arms for the front ready for the eibach springs
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D

Quote:
Yeah I expected that answer to be honest, I just really wanted the removal tool as it could save money down the line and I could possibly pull the bearings as the speed sensor cant read the little magnetic bits.. just my look that the replacement hub I purchased with the wheel bearing in had a scuff in it so that was no good either Haha.. but I dont want to spend all that time putting in new bushes just for those ball joints to fail later so makes sense, I'll order all new arms for the front ready for the eibach springs
Replace the complete arms. The ball joints should be tight, quite a bit of effort to push them. You are clearly keeping your car, replace and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscarp View Post
Replace the complete arms. The ball joints should be tight, quite a bit of effort to push them. You are clearly keeping your car, replace and be done with it.
Ahh so the ball joints where knackered as well then, I remember when I.purchssed the tie rod/track rod arms and the ball joint was stiff as anything but I thought that was just how they where before they got worn in. Car should be pretty good once all the stuff comes, removed the rear bumper today and removed all the electrical tape from the parking distance control sensors from the rubber grommet all the way back to the sensor itself and found like a whole heap of them had a sort of slit in then with one completely off.. it's no wonder it was hit or miss with them working.. I remember almost reversing straight into a transit because I was waiting for the beep and when I did look i was like mm away from his bumper
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

My I ask which arm was worn out.

There are 2 control arms on front so are you able to point which was busted on your car please. I am doing my suspension refresh slowly and replacing the weakest part 1st as spare cash becomes available

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...28aea05&000320

or

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...2c9e83d&000320

My sway bar links are gone, I noticed them move freely when i replaced the strut last week.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
My I ask which arm was worn out.

There are 2 control arms on front so are you able to point which was busted on your car please. I am doing my suspension refresh slowly and replacing the weakest part 1st as spare cash becomes available

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...28aea05&000320

or

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...2c9e83d&000320

My sway bar links are gone, I noticed them move freely when i replaced the strut last week.
I believe they refer to this arm as the front control arm, this arm has the large bushing on the subframe, it's also the cause of the steering wheel shaking when braking from high speeds as that worn Bush allows the wheel to move back and forth.

I did come to find however that all the arms need replacing so that's both front and rear "front axle" control arms as well as those drop links, I already replaced the tie road/track rod end not so long ago thankfully so this will replace every arm. I was contemplating M3 arms but I've heard it makes alignment a little tricky due to the negative camber it creates it something.. cant quite remember but I cant be bothered with anything more at the moment I just want it back on the road Haha.

If anyone else is familiar, does anyone have any experience with the eBay front arm set that doesnt have a make? They're so cheap.. but of course the flip side is they could be more trouble than they're worth with wearing out quickly but with an ask.

Something like this set:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162259536157
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

Quote:
I believe they refer to this arm as the front control arm, this arm has the large bushing on the subframe, it's also the cause of the steering wheel shaking when braking from high speeds as that worn Bush allows the wheel to move back and forth.

I did come to find however that all the arms need replacing so that's both front and rear "front axle" control arms as well as those drop links, I already replaced the tie road/track rod end not so long ago thankfully so this will replace every arm. I was contemplating M3 arms but I've heard it makes alignment a little tricky due to the negative camber it creates it something.. cant quite remember but I cant be bothered with anything more at the moment I just want it back on the road Haha.

If anyone else is familiar, does anyone have any experience with the eBay front arm set that doesnt have a make? They're so cheap.. but of course the flip side is they could be more trouble than they're worth with wearing out quickly but with an ask.

Something like this set:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162259536157

Those M3 arms cost a few £££ and plus adjust camber like you said.The bushing is harder so more direct feel.

Like myself you want to keep running cost down as possible by doing DIY but as we save in garage cost we should spend that on premium parts LOL

I understand Lemforder is OEM brand and the equivalent cheapest set for I can see on ebay around £305 from Germany link below. The kit for £125 sounds really poor.. i guess ok if you want to repair and sell on but if you keeping your car I would suggest premium parts but slowly if you have cash flow issues like most of us

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lemforder...item48c96ddfb4

I have seen the pair of Lemforder control arm with large bushing for £135 at Carparts4less. I may go for this now and the 2nd control arm plus sway links couple months later.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #9
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
Those M3 arms cost a few £££ and plus adjust camber like you said.The bushing is harder so more direct feel.

Like myself you want to keep running cost down as possible by doing DIY but as we save in garage cost we should spend that on premium parts LOL

I understand Lemforder is OEM brand and the equivalent cheapest set for I can see on ebay around £305 from Germany link below. The kit for £125 sounds really poor.. i guess ok if you want to repair and sell on but if you keeping your car I would suggest premium parts but slowly if you have cash flow issues like most of us

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lemforder...item48c96ddfb4

I have seen the pair of Lemforder control arm with large bushing for £135 at Carparts4less. I may go for this now and the 2nd control arm plus sway links couple months later.
Yes, Lemforder is definitely good, however when I searched from "E90 Meyle vs Lemforder" I swear the chap who reviewed both said Meyle HD was better and showed comparisons and Meyle HD did tweak certain things like the ball joint and something twice as thick on the bushing. I will try to get the thread up again as I thought it was an interesting read and it's nice to hear opinions from people who have tried and tested. But I will say this, the complete Meyle HD set is just £240 which contains both the front and rear front axle control arms and the drop links.. pretty good I think, and I should be able to collect from Halesowen but just waiting back for a reply, then its off to dreaded Chemix again to see the alignment results haha

Last edited by MrSweet1991; 05-19-2019 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 04:36 PM   #10
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D

Quote:
Yes, Lemforder is definitely good, however when I searched from "E90 Meyle vs Lemforder" I swear the chap who reviewed both said Meyle HD was better and showed comparisons and Meyle HD did tweak certain things like the ball joint and something twice as thick on the bushing. I will try to get the thread up again as I thought it was an interesting read and it's nice to hear opinions from people who have tried and tested. But I will say this, the complete Meyle HD set is just £240 which contains both the front and rear front axle control arms and the drop links.. pretty good I think, and I should be able to collect from Halesowen but just waiting back for a reply, then its off to dreaded Chemix again to see the alignment results haha
I read a post some time back a guy was stating the Meyle HD were excellent and then posted 8 months later on saying they had failed.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #11
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscarp View Post
I read a post some time back a guy was stating the Meyle HD were excellent and then posted 8 months later on saying they had failed.
Then I hope their 4 year warranty stands..
Appreciate 0