E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > My nemesis - "Camshaft exhaust sensor" fault 2B63 (BMW E90 318i N46)

10-19-2020, 02:46 AM   #1
eedijs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Angry My nemesis - "Camshaft exhaust sensor" fault 2B63 (BMW E90 318i N46)

Good morning guys,

I have a BMW E90 318i 2006 manual, with the N46 engine.

Let me start off by saying that I'm fking tired of this bullshit error code already, it keep coming back, everything (almost) has been changed (not randomly, I've been reading enough forums to look for bad part symptoms etc.), but this goddamn error code is still here, including a performance issue.

Here's the problem I have right now - when starting the car cold (has been standing for a while, even a few hours), the rpms start at around 1100 and everytime is revs up once up to 1500 (not sure why?) and then stays at 1100 for 2 minutes, after that it goes down to the normal 800 rpm. The issue is that at the 1100 rpms my car is shaking like a washing machine.

After I start driving, at a random time my "Check engine" light will appear, I don't lose any performance like I used to (about that later), but the light is there, and it's always the exhaust camshaft sensor. No mechanic is able to help me, so I'm hoping someone with similar experience can help somehow.

Here are the parts I've changed so far, as I said - not "just because", but I actually found issues with them:

1) Engine chain set (chain, tensioner etc.) and both VANOSes - we thought this was the main cause for the error code, because when I had the error code, I had the "pebbles in a tin can" sound when I applied gas, but it turned out that my chain was loose due to a broken plastic on the tensioner. After changing the whole set, it was okay for a while, but then the error code came back.

2) Both camshaft position sensors - obviously, these are the first and cheapest parts I had replaced since the error started appearing, but that did not help at all.

3) Crankshaft position sensor - this one was changed due to unstable rpms, thought that also could somehow be related to my main error (read that somewhere). Helped with the rpms, not with the main error.

4) O2 sensor - replaced this together with the crankshaft position sensor, as the O2 sensor was also throwing a fault code. Cleared the O2 code, but not the main one.

5) Ignition coils and spark plugs - I had (and I still think that I do have) and issue where after suddenly applying more gas, the engine would have like a hiccup and then it would accelerate (the best way I could explain is it feels the same as if you suddenly apply more gas in an automatic, it shifts down and then accelerates). I still think I have this issue sometimes, but I'm getting no error codes for some reason!

6) Vanos solenoids - these I have not changed, but simply cleaned and checked, they seem to be fine. I would absolutely changed them, if I was absolutely sure that they're the cause, because they're expensive, plus they're not throwing the error code - the camshaft exaust sensor is throwing it.

I'm at a loss, guys, I hope someone had the same issue, I don't believe I'm the only one that's cursed with this.
Appreciate 0