E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Alternator Install for N52

12-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Alternator Install for N52

I didn't see a DIY for installing a new alternator in the E90. This is a DIY for removal and replacement of the Alternator for the E9X with the N52 engine. Attached is the procedure I followed for the N52.

The alternator for the N52 is the 185 Amp version.

If your alternator dies you'll know it by the red battery indicator symbol that comes up on the gauge cluster. The battery doesn't last long once the alternator dies. I got home when my alternator died with just about 25 miles of battery life. I did have my headlights and wipers in use.

This DIY is for experienced home mechanics with a decent set of quality tools. You’ll need a BMW scan tool to clear them before restarting the engine so they will not be stored in the ECU and found the next time the ECU is scanned.

DIY updated to correct idler pulley bolt torque value.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf N52 Alternator DIY(1).pdf (371.3 KB, 2633 views)
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-20-2016 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: correct torque values
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Nice DIY.

Just a correction, the torque spec on alternator idler pulley bolt got reduced to 30 ftlbs later on:

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...que+correction
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 04:52 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Nice DIY.

Just a correction, the torque spec on alternator idler pulley bolt got reduced to 30 ftlbs later on:

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...que+correction
Thanks. I corrected the DIY. Funny, when I was torquing the bolt 59 seemed a bit excessive.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 02:20 AM   #4
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

So I finally got around to re-torquing that idler pulley bolt - doing an oil change today. Of course going too fast... dumbass me broke off the little tab on the tensioner that lets you lock open the tensioner. LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodiyes View Post
Hi there,

I noticed you added a diy a while back. Would you be interested in adding that diy and others if you want on autodiyes.com

If you are not sure why you should do that, well... we are trying to create a platform exclusively for diy guides so that we can provide the world with better accessibility to such information.

Another feature worth mentioning is that we will be sharing the revenue generated by our platform with the people that write the diy guides.

Let me know if you have any questions and how you feel about our initiative.
Mine are published here on E90 Post for free, which is on the internet and is a focused site for the E90. Getting revenue share brings legal connotations with it that I'm not willing to undertake for the meager increase in revenue. Besides, most young people prefer videos to reading. I do these mainly to keep my technical writing skills tuned up.

But thanks for asking.
Appreciate 0