E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Vibrations after DMF/Clutch replacement

07-31-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Vibrations after DMF/Clutch replacement

Replaced the DMF and clutch today on my 2006 320D. All seems to be okay but for the vibrations I feel going through the car. It feels a bit rougher at idle and in general but when I'm accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear it gets really rough from 2k rpm gradually smoothing out as it approaches the 2.5k rpm mark. In any gear (4th, 5th, 6th) I feel more vibrations in the 2-2.5k rpm range but it's most noticeable (and the roughest) in 2nd and 3rd. Any ideas what's causing it? It's the Luk DMF and clutch.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:47 AM   #2
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Doesn't sound right at all, could be a fitment error... Also, there are are a surprising amount of counterfeit DMF/Clutch kits on places like eBay etc.... I've seen clutch plates that look like they are made of paper and foil.

Where did you source yours from?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I bought mine from GSF Carparts I think it's called.

It's very strange, it rumbles when I start the car. And when when I'm in traffic. Though if I brake a bit more suddenly when coming to a stop the rumble goes away. It can even rumble when moving slowly (like in a supermarket carpark) and the clutch pedal is down. And when gently accelerating past 2k rpm it sort of judders gently as if a clutch was slipping but not a smooth slippage like you get from a worn out clutch.

I'm gonna have to find a garage and go see what they can tell me. Maybe put it up on a lift and check it from underneath.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

SOLVED!

Went to the garage and asked them to have a look at it but when I started the car there was no vibrations. Nada. No matter what I did it was fine. I was like WTF... But then, while it was on the lift, one guy pulled on the exhaust and it started vibrating like hell again. Turns out the heat shields were bouncing up and down between the drive shaft and the exhaust. They bent them so they don't vibrate so much but I'll probably have to get new one as they are pretty manky.
Appreciate 0