E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > MHD Flash UK

08-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
GxTwo
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 335i

MHD Flash UK

So i'm thinking of using MHD to flash the stage 1 map to my car. But i need a little more persuasion to calm my nerves

I'm a bit nervous as I've read a few times about it not working and then the car not starting. Most of these situations seem to be down to the cable or OTG cable. So i'm thinking about ordering 2 of each to avoid having a bricked car waiting for a new cable to arrive.

Just looking for peoples feedback if they've flashed successfully and what they used

List of what you used and how it went.

Phone/ Tablet
Cable
OTG Cable
Battery Charger
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

I have had MHD for nearly 2 years now. The first time I flashed it, it didn't work... it would go to 93% then stop...leaving the car inoperable. It turned out it was the cable. The MHD flasher app is very fussy with cables... don't buy from Amazon, eBay etc....it might work or it might not. I ended up with a D Can cable for my 2007 from Cable Shack UK and not had any problems since.... flashed all the way through the first initial flash...40 mins or so no probs. And obviously whilst the car was connected to a charger. Used an old galaxy s5 at the time and now a galaxy S7. Most android phones work as do the tablets. Even cheaper tablets work also. Which phone device do u have? . And an important note on flashing!!.... switch daytime running lights off, heating/ aircon...off... music...off....everything off.... . Put fone in aeroplane mode.. Insert key fob, push button to turn ignition system on but not to start the car. Plug obd into the car and connect to phone via otg. Start the MHD app and if u wish u can make a back up of ur existing car dme map....this isnt completely nessasary as it has its own built in stock map if u wish to return to stock. Anyway select Flash a MHD map then flash v7 stage 1. This initial flash will take 40 mins or so and after that when u go back to stock or if u reflash back to stage 1 this will only take 2 mins or so..... it's recommended to still have a charger on for the 2 minute flashes but I don't...I just flash the 2 minute ones with no charger....only long flashes I would use a charger. When flashing don't switch anything on...or open doors etc...just sit and wait....or u can start the flash with the window open..door closed and put the phone on the seat if u wanted to go in the house etc. Basically don't disturb the flash with anything!..... It is a bit scary at first...but once u do it properly with the charger and uninterrupted flashing....u won't have a problem.
Appreciate 1
GxTwo4.00
      08-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep

Just noticed ur in Scotland... where about. I'm falkirk area with a E93 335i also 😁
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
GxTwo
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snedanator View Post
I have had MHD for nearly 2 years now. The first time I flashed it, it didn't work... it would go to 93% then stop...leaving the car inoperable. It turned out it was the cable. The MHD flasher app is very fussy with cables... don't buy from Amazon, eBay etc....it might work or it might not. I ended up with a D Can cable for my 2007 from Cable Shack UK and not had any problems since.... flashed all the way through the first initial flash...40 mins or so no probs. And obviously whilst the car was connected to a charger. Used an old galaxy s5 at the time and now a galaxy S7. Most android phones work as do the tablets. Even cheaper tablets work also. Which phone device do u have? . And an important note on flashing!!.... switch daytime running lights off, heating/ aircon...off... music...off....everything off.... . Put fone in aeroplane mode.. Insert key fob, push button to turn ignition system on but not to start the car. Plug obd into the car and connect to phone via otg. Start the MHD app and if u wish u can make a back up of ur existing car dme map....this isnt completely nessasary as it has its own built in stock map if u wish to return to stock. Anyway select Flash a MHD map then flash v7 stage 1. This initial flash will take 40 mins or so and after that when u go back to stock or if u reflash back to stage 1 this will only take 2 mins or so..... it's recommended to still have a charger on for the 2 minute flashes but I don't...I just flash the 2 minute ones with no charger....only long flashes I would use a charger. When flashing don't switch anything on...or open doors etc...just sit and wait....or u can start the flash with the window open..door closed and put the phone on the seat if u wanted to go in the house etc. Basically don't disturb the flash with anything!..... It is a bit scary at first...but once u do it properly with the charger and uninterrupted flashing....u won't have a problem.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah the cableshack UK cable is the one i'm going to go for. I'm going to order a few OTG cables as well as I've heard they can be iffy too.

Really don't want to have an inoperable car while i'm waiting for a cable to arrive!

What battery charger did you use for it?

I've got a Huawei P20 Pro, It's a USB C connection but I've also got my old Samsung Gaalaxy Note 3 that's micro USB B

I'm in Livingston mate, not too far away.

Last edited by GxTwo; 08-13-2018 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: added phone
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah ull be good to go with the cableshack d can....mine still works fine 2 years later. And u can't go wrong with a few diffrent otg cables for what they cost. . The Note 3 should do the trick too. I just used an old Halfords charger...it seemed to do the trick... but to be honest it's best u get a proper charger if i have the funds for it. The CTEC MXS 5.0 are very popular with the BMW crowd....I'll need to get myself one . U shouldn't have any problems flashing with that gear . If u use ur car quite regular ur battery should be ok...but put the charger on anyway before flashing and remember aeroplane mode. I only use my car at the weekends really so before any long flashes ie 40 minute ones I'll take the car for a good run before I put it on charge to make sure the battery is tip top before I flash. Happy flashing :-)
Appreciate 0