E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AccessPORT Tuning Discussion - hosted by COBB Calibration Team

05-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #199
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

HOW DID I MISS THIS POST?!?!? Nice work Lance. Much appreciated.

Dzenno, IIRC Clap requested logging from both banks and Cobb indicated it would be a feature released soon. I'd be very happy to see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #200
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Lance, I have recently installed dual Innovate LC-1 widebands and have data that shows bank 2 consistently running leaner under load by between 0.5 and almost 1.0 AFR. Just a heads up and adding logging on both banks would be great if not critical to safe tuning.

I've also noticed the same with the procede on my car but it seems that it's a condition that comes/goes and I don't know what causes it at this point. My stock widebands are almost new as are the Innovate ones.

Other users have also reported seeing bank2 being the leaner bank from their datalogging.

What're your thoughts on this and can it be tuned out provided you have that level of control...

P.S. Really appreciate the level of detail you went to with compressor map vs tune boost levels analysis...don't think this has ever been done/shown before on this board...
Maybe an injector is dumping fuel causing the rich / lean differences. Spark plugs look good? Is there a DC for each injector in the BT?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #201
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
Maybe an injector is dumping fuel causing the rich / lean differences. Spark plugs look good? Is there a DC for each injector in the BT?
There is DC for each injector and they're the same under load...note that there are others that have also reported this imbalance under load between banks and its always the same, i.e. bank2 leaner...its been a mystery so far and I thought it might've been procede related...after logging it with the Cobb tune today it made me realize its not tune related...i seem to recall that the issue starts to manifest itself more and more with higher boost levels but that i have yet to confirm...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #202
Timmeh
Banned
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
There is DC for each injector and they're the same under load...note that there are others that have also reported this imbalance under load between banks and its always the same, i.e. bank2 leaner...its been a mystery so far and I thought it might've been procede related...after logging it with the Cobb tune today it made me realize its not tune related...i seem to recall that the issue starts to manifest itself more and more with higher boost levels but that i have yet to confirm...
Are you logging the cobb with the procede unit completely removed from the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #203
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh View Post
Are you logging the cobb with the procede unit completely removed from the car?
Yes it's completely removed...lc-1s are now hooked up using their serial connections in series and then over a serial-to-USB cable to the laptop and logged using innovate logworks software
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #204
Timmeh
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes it's completely removed...lc-1s are now hooked up using their serial connections in series and then over a serial-to-USB cable to the laptop and logged using innovate logworks software
Do you have any form of logging/sharing your findings? Also which bank does the ap currently log, the richer or leaner bank? I am assuming richer, if so is that at least accurate based on your innovate?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #205
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Do you have any form of logging/sharing your findings? Also which bank does the ap currently log, the richer or leaner bank? I am assuming richer, if so is that at least accurate based on your innovate?
I'll have to get more logs...just managed to do 3-4 pulls after work today and reinstalled cobb last night to do some testing...damn weather and traffic have been bad past few days couldn't do anything..i'll post what I have here soon, making some screenshots...

According to Lance's earlier post Cobb logs against bank1 which according to Innovate logs is the richer of the two banks...logs on my car have shown mid-high 11s on a bunch of pulls with cobb stg 1 v202 "v2" version...

i'll have to run cobb and innovate datalogging together in order to compare stock vs. aftermarket widebands...it looks pretty close
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #206
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Here we go, this is with the Cobb stage 1 tune and dual LC-1 widebands hooked up through serial connections through a serial-usb cable into the laptop and logged through Innovate Logworks v3:

Run1:

Run2:

Run3:

Run4:

I'd like to know why the N54 has this imbalance. It doesn't seem to be car related or tune related. I'd also like to know if it can be tuned out so both banks follow each other or if there is a reason why bank 1 would have to run richer..

Of all the engine failures to date that we know about all have happened in bank2...

P.S. No RPM in these logs unfortunately as basic LC-1 don't have an RPM pickup...I'd have to get either an LM-1 or LM-2 or LM-3 to wire in all other sensors which for my purposes I don't need at this time...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #207
Timmeh
Banned
Rep

So it looks like one runs 11.5 and the other runs 12.0? Kind of hard to see, but what does the cobb unit report?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #208
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

How about logging fuel rail pressure on low and high boost and compare the curves with AFRs?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #209
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
So it looks like one runs 11.5 and the other runs 12.0? Kind of hard to see, but what does the cobb unit report?
See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
How about logging fuel rail pressure on low and high boost and compare the curves with AFRs?
i think i looked at that with the procede a few times and I really couldn't see a relationship...

here's 2 runs from tonight, funny the values off the stock widebands and innovate lc-1s don't equal each other BUT the curves do look very similar...two runs back to back...

Looks like COBB logs off of bank 1 as that curve matches the LC-1 bank1 curve the most....

Note that I had to massage the cobb log a bit to remove spikes to 235 AFR, otherwise it gets really hard to see what's going on...i've brought this up with them and hopefully they can fix that datalogging bug and not log above 22AFR at most

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #210
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Interesting...
Appreciate 0